Which Personality Type are You?

Moderated area for expat living and dating discussions. Members only. Must qualify with good knowledge, experience, character to be member and participate. See guidelines inside. Civil behavior only. No trolls, attacks or insults.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Which Personality Type are You?

Post by xiongmao »

Well I've had a bit of trouble (again!) in my day job, and after a terrible week where I almost quit I realised my problems were down to my rare personality type (INFJ).

INFJ's are rare (especially so in males), which explains why so many people think I'm strange, and I don't seem to fit in. We don't take criticism well. We may not appear to have good social skills, but we are very in tune with other people's feelings. So much so that sitting in an office full of people with problems can cause us extreme distress (empathy). When my team leader got a bad review from his boss last month the bad feelings emanating from my team leader were extremely contagious.

So what type are forum members? Go to 16Personalities.com to determine your type.

I predict that most members here are I and N. I = introvert and N = more imaginative and focused on the future. The trolls are more likely to be S and T types. I'm sure we have many INTP (classic geek) types here.

As an INFJ, I've never advanced my career because all my bosses have been ESTJ. They hate me! My boss has no imagination which is weird. Also dates with ESTJ's have been disasters. ESTJ women are often attractive, very intelligent and have good jobs.

One of my ex's was an ISTJ, I got on better with her but the S and T types are generally disasters for our N and F types.

Maybe ESTJ's have a chip on their shoulder because the real bosses in life are ENTP's. ESTJ's are often middle management, but they lack the creativity and vision to make it to the top or to start their own businesses. I dated one ENTP and she was awesome. Steve Jobs was most likely an ENTP.

I'm not a real geek because they're usually INTP's. I knew this for a long time because I'm not as geeky as other geeks, and I'm not so good at maths or concentrating.

Many of my friends are ISFJ.

My sister is also the same type as me, so maybe it runs in families or is related to upbringing.

Anyway, it bodes well for my future career as a teacher, but I'll need to develop my Extrovert personality. This does get easier with age.

As far as marriage would go, I would be best to seek out an ENTP. I would get bored of ES types, although they are fun to be around. This kind of explains why I did better with dating in China than I did in Thailand. It's unlikely that a Thai ENTP would date a farang.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Which Personality Type are You?

Post by Jester »

Umm

Interesting post

but no freakin links

Wish u would edit, adding a link for the test itself, and ALSO, links for each separate personality type you mention

(Assume we're stupid and/or lazy)
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Here's the link:

http://www.16personalities.com/

And the personality types are here:

http://www.16personalities.com/personality-types

Post back your results from the free test. Once you find your type, just Google for endless information (personalitycafe.com is quite good). And also read Carl Jung's stuff.

I've done an awful lot of reading about this stuff now. There is much more to the human mind than personality types, but they do explain a lot - especially in the workplace.

I'll also add that everybody has all 8 brain functions mentioned in these articles, but we each prefer using just 2-4 of them. Some people never get beyond using two functions.

Once you know your personality type, here's more about the functions used:

http://www.personalitypathways.com/faces.html
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Thanks.

Took the test. I'm an ENFJ.

Good at inspiring people, running a team, producing events, meeting people, understanding people, creating positive outcomes.
Bad at being a hardass, being realistic, cutting costs, criticizing people, taking criticism rationally.

I need to work on being more practical, more selfish, tougher, more confident.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

This is what my results are:

PERSONALITY: ENFP
VARIANT: TURBULENT
ROLE: DIPLOMAT

You are one of the Diplomats - an empathic and idealistic individual who enjoys exploring interesting ideas and prizes morality. You are known for your enthusiasm, optimism and intuitive skills. Above you will find a brief overview of your personality traits - proceed to the type overview to learn much more about your personality type. Prepare to be impressed.

The ENFP personality is a true free spirit. They are often the life of the party, but unlike Explorers, they are less interested in the sheer excitement and pleasure of the moment than they are in enjoying the social and emotional connections they make with others. Charming, independent, energetic and compassionate, the 7% of the population that they comprise can certainly be felt in any crowd.

----

Nice! That's pretty positive, and if I may say so myself, spot-on!
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Cool! I wonder what Winston is?

It is interesting trying to figure out other peoples' personality types. On my CELTA course there are more introverts that I'd have expected. That's just as well as with a room full of ESTP's it would be a nightmare.

Once you have a good idea of your personality type, it's worth checking the likely order of preference of your 8 brain functions. Developing your 3rd and 4th will pay dividends (your 1st and 2nd are usually well established by adulthood). My first 4 are Ni Fe Ti Se. My mom developed my Ti (thinking) with a tiger mom approach to schooling - without that I would have probably ended up as a destitute poet. I've developed my own Se (external sensing) through hobbies like photography. 4th brain functions can be a problem, and my Se is what gets me in trouble.

Your 8th brain function usually sucks, for me that's Si (internal sensing). As a result I overeat, and I never listen to my body telling me to rest.

Your 1st brain function is ultra reliable - that's the one we trust since birth. In my case it's intuition. This works slowly and without conscious input. What am I going to do when my CELTA finishes? I don't yet know - but my subconcious is formulating a plan. All I know is that its last decisions (quitting job, coming to Barcelona) were 100% spot on.

It's hard to use several brain functions at once. For this reason, in Barcelona I never use Ti (thinking) while I am on the subway, as that would prevent me using Fe and Se to scan for pickpockets.

I think I am becoming more ENFP. ENFP's are extremely good at analysing people, but they tend to overlook details. The good thing is that they don't seem to worry much, which is something I need to stop doing.

Can people change their personalities? I think they can, especially at mid-life.

Can personality research work in relationships? Possibly. I saw an incredibly geeky looking INTJ couple in a restaurant the other night - with their matching anoraks and glasses they looked made for each other. On the other hand opposites attract and my Se just loves ESTJ types.

Personality theory is certainly extremely good in the workplace, and can help tackle different types of colleague.

Are you born with your personality? I have two young nephews, and I would say personality is fixed by the age of two. My mom also says I had pretty much the same personality at 2 as I do now.