Should Jester Relocate from Mexico to Philippines?

Moderated area for expat living and dating discussions. Members only. Must qualify with good knowledge, experience, character to be member and participate. See guidelines inside. Civil behavior only. No trolls, attacks or insults.

Should Jester Relocate from Mexico to Philippines?

Jester should liquidate his possessions and relocate to the Philippines
62%
Jester should stay the f**k where he is, learn great Spanish, and try to blend in
No votes
Jester should use Ensenada as a base, from which to explore other areas of Mexico and Colombia etc
23%
Jester should keep the beach house, but visit Asia briefly, then return to Mexico
No votes
Other Ideas/Suggestions
No votes
f**k Jester (and the horse he rode in on)
8%
No Opinion
8%

Total votes: 13
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Should Jester Relocate from Mexico to Philippines?

Post by publicduende »

Jester wrote:The caliber of people I have met on HA humbles me.

And thank you.
So my friend, have you bought your tickets yet? ;)
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

WorldTraveler wrote:MarcosZeitola,where in Philippines do you live?
I would rather not go too far into specifics publicly, but would love to answer any question you or anyone else might have in a more private setting. Feel free to PM me if you wish to know my location.
WorldTraveler wrote:How far away do you live from you in-laws?
So far during all my visits, I have lived with them primarily. My wife and child live with her parents as of right now. By the time I permanently relocate myself, we will live with her parents for the time being. I will continue to live with them for as long as needed; we plan to buy a lot and build a house in the same village as her parents, uncle, aunt and cousins live in. My savings will firstly be spent on investments that I hope will generate a steady income for us; that is my first concern. Then, our own place is priority number two. If need be, we will live with her parents for a few years. Their house is relatively large by Filipino standards and her immediate family consists of only my wife and her parents, as her younger sister lives in a boarding house while attending college on one hour distance.

My in-laws and I have a great relationship, and I consider them to be great friends. Through their connections I have been abe to meet many interesting people and make new friends, expanding my Filipino network significantly. They help me a lot, in raising our child (and the children to come), in explaining to me the workings of Filipino culture and society and local customs and ways. Plus, several of my wife's male relatives have become drinking buddies, another cherished Filipino tradition! ;)

Overall, life in the Philippines has been good to me and I have no reason to assume it will not remain that way. There is no place I feel more natural, more comfortable and more at ease then in my tiny new adopted hometown and it's lovely natural surroundings. When I think of the rice fields, the mountains, the chickens and the tricycles, I think of home!
publicduende wrote:So my friend, have you bought your tickets yet? ;)
I wonder too! Hope he'll keep us posted, I'm curious to know what his next move will be.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Jester wrote:The caliber of people I have met on HA humbles me.

And thank you.
I forgot to mention the quality perhaps most relevant to the task at hand -- communicative ability. I can see Jester as marketing director for a Fortune 500 company. Those short, sharp sentences laden with meaning . The campaign to market yourself could be something studied in textbooks, if you give it enough thought. Just make sure the target market is correctly identified as someone you really want, and who is worthy of you.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Look who made an appearance, how are you GS Jackson?
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Pretty good. Yourself? Hope to get to Berlin sometime this year.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Doing much better here.
I welcome anyone who visits.

Just let me know when and we can meet up for a schnitzel and beers.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

gsjackson wrote:
Just make sure the target market is correctly identified as someone you really want, and who is worthy of you.
Shit, talk about short and sharp.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

MarcosZeitola wrote: So far during all my visits, I have lived with them primarily. My wife and child live with her parents as of right now. By the time I permanently relocate myself, we will live with her parents for the time being. I will continue to live with them for as long as needed; we plan to buy a lot and build a house in the same village as her parents, uncle, aunt and cousins live in. My savings will firstly be spent on investments that I hope will generate a steady income for us; that is my first concern. Then, our own place is priority number two. If need be, we will live with her parents for a few years. Their house is relatively large by Filipino standards and her immediate family consists of only my wife and her parents, as her younger sister lives in a boarding house while attending college on one hour distance.

My in-laws and I have a great relationship, and I consider them to be great friends. Through their connections I have been abe to meet many interesting people and make new friends, expanding my Filipino network significantly. They help me a lot, in raising our child (and the children to come), in explaining to me the workings of Filipino culture and society and local customs and ways. Plus, several of my wife's male relatives have become drinking buddies, another cherished Filipino tradition! ;)

Overall, life in the Philippines has been good to me and I have no reason to assume it will not remain that way. There is no place I feel more natural, more comfortable and more at ease then in my tiny new adopted hometown and it's lovely natural surroundings. When I think of the rice fields, the mountains, the chickens and the tricycles, I think of home!
great man...Much respect....That's the best way to live in Philippines..
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

I have been having doubts about staying in Mexico, but went with the flow, trying to being sociable. Saw friends last night and this morning. Made friends with another quality Mexican neighbor.

And tonight, I went to a gathering of well-off gringos, a dinner dance.

Made a few acquaintances, couple of friends. One Alpha-type guy that I made friends with there said SEA beats Mexico. Based on Asian women being compliant or malleable. (He was a metallurgist, he was using the terms of his craft.) He said that his gringo lady of 6 years was not compliant at all. She probably could hear this. He also said she was good to him, he would stay, yada yada. He is content.

They had just come back from SEA. He's been to Vietnam, Thailand, China, Cambodia, Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina. He said if single he would go to SEA.

Another guy, who had been a power lineman, now is enjoying his hobby of woodworking, and having coffee with his wife.

Both the above guys, btw, are interesting and likable and we exchanged contact info.

But I do not want to be in their shoes. All the couples there included men who were whipped or at least had "settled". No active world adventurers. This stands to reason since it is a retirement haven, but it repulsive to see up close.

I want out.

But wait. There's more.
Three different old women pulled youngish Mexican waiters onto the dance floor.

I have heard mentions of cougar behavior behavior, but hadnt seen it. I left.

This place is not for me. I will be leaving.

Married gringos have "settled" and really wont form a great community for me.
Single gringos are drunks.
Integrating socially with Mexicans is simply too slow.

I need to go.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

This sounds exactly identical to my Como experience.
Ensenada sounds as socially defunct as Como.

I suggest you get out now while you're still another year younger. Look at it as a life lesson.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Jester wrote:I need to go.
You do, brother. There are greener pastures out there, and they are waiting for you.

The people you described, they sound nice enough to be with. I am sure they are fine folks. But they sound old, and they sound like they are more busy dying then they are living. You could have a well-conserved, nagging but somewhat caring age-appropriate girlfriend or wife where you are now. Just like so many other men your age, in your place. Or you could have the type of women a man would kill for, the type of life a man would kill for, in a location so different from your own.

I found my own little slice of heaven, and I cannot wait to return to it. But if I had to pick a place to live, any place in the world, I know where it would be. You are in the unique position of having the time, the funds and the opportunity to pick a destination, anywhere on God's green earth, and GO THERE. Ask yourself: are you in the place where you want to be the most, and are you doing what you would most like to do? If the answer to these is no, then make sure that you get there. And when you do, we'll have a cold bottle of Red Horse beer. :wink:
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Where are you now?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Thanks!
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Jester wrote:I have been having doubts about staying in Mexico, but went with the flow, trying to being sociable. Saw friends last night and this morning. Made friends with another quality Mexican neighbor.

Made a few acquaintances, couple of friends. One Alpha-type guy that I made friends with there said SEA beats Mexico. Based on Asian women being compliant or malleable. (He was a metallurgist, he was using the terms of his craft.) He said that his gringo lady of 6 years was not compliant at all. She probably could hear this. He also said she was good to him, he would stay, yada yada. He is content.

They had just come back from SEA. He's been to Vietnam, Thailand, China, Cambodia, Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina. He said if single he would go to SEA.

Another guy, who had been a power lineman, now is enjoying his hobby of woodworking, and having coffee with his wife.

Both the above guys, btw, are interesting and likable and we exchanged contact info.

But I do not want to be in their shoes. All the couples there included men who were whipped or at least had "settled". No active world adventurers. This stands to reason since it is a retirement haven, but it repulsive to see up close.

I want out.

But wait. There's more.

I need to go.
Jes, I absolutely applaud your efforts to "go with the flow", to be sociable and open to mingling with the locals. It might just be my opinion, but I am absolutely convinced that interacting with fellow expats is great, but embracing the local culture and community can really take you to the next level. Unfortunately I never really spent too long in Medellin, but I did in Davao City and it was truly amazing, especially when your hosts are so warm, hospitable and easy-going to start with.

Yet, I completely get you when you smirk in disappointment for that missing tile in the puzzle, and a big one: the chance to actually forge a lasting relationship with the young woman you desire. I have always been aware, and told you and others in other occasions, that in the whole of Latin America (I'm sure about Colombia, and I can see Mexico too) it's just not customary to have young women hanging out and have relationships with men 25, 30, 35 years their senior. It only basically happens to extremely wealthy guys, and we all know it's 90% to do with the "sugar daddy" effect, or - at least in some parts of Colombia - somebody in the gang scene, where we all know it's because "that, or her and her family gets a few bullets in all the wrong places".

I am sure that, by now, you will have realised that you've done an excellent job integrating as much as you could with the locals, be them Mexicans or gringos, and certainly you cannot blame yourself.

I hate to come to the same, painfully obvious conclusion as everybody else once again, but it really is that clear, crystal clear: the Philippines are the only place left on the planet which conjugates the genuine, natural warmth you have already found in Mexico (and Latin America) with an almost complete lack of age gap taboo. Well, I say "almost" because I know for a fact most middle/upper class Filipino families would abhor their daughters being involved with non-Filipinos who are not roughly their age and at least as "up there" socio-ecomically.

Given that that elite isn't that large to start with and concentrated in Metro Manila and the vast majority of lower middle and working class (financially shaky) families will happily give their pretty daughters to a man they deem honest, stable and reliable, all odds truly are in your favour.

In bocca al lupo, as we say in my latitudes. You're a great all-round guy an deserve every ounce of happiness coming your way.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Jester wrote:I have been having doubts about staying in Mexico, but went with the flow, trying to being sociable. Saw friends last night and this morning. Made friends with another quality Mexican neighbor.

I want out.

But wait. There's more.

I need to go.
Damn, I'm starting to think these places with great climates are strictly for the retirement set. They're the only ones in Tucson now who have any vibrancy. Very different thirty years ago. Got to go to some crappy FSU industrial shithole to find a scene of happening young women, it seems.