Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Fashion's defiant turn

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Fashion's defiant turn

Postby Kapinga626 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:16 pm

" In Myanmar , the hard-line regime's fight to keep out decadent alien culture has been cut off at the knees as foreign influences creep in " .

Interesting article in todays L.A. Times regarding fashion influences , especially among teeners and the nouveau rich .

Experts cite " pro-business policies after 2000 that saw the internet , satellite tv , and South Korean dramas , that spread like wildfire " . " Burmese advertising and media executives say they're constantly skirting the regimes' red line . Readers love photos of pop singers with cleavage , and short skirts , but these risk the censors wrath . Some acknowledge using photoshop to lengthen celebrity clothing " .

" Although teen agers have been at the vanguard , a thirtysomething nouveau riche set is following close behind flaunting it's wealth with sexy , ostentacious creations , over-the-top colors , and lots of bling ".

Beliefs have also changed with style. " Traditionally , there was a big value on virginity " , said one magazines editor .
" But increasingly not . Parents can't control their kids so strictly anymore " .

I've always been a little interested in this closed country . Sounds to me like they're going the way of the west . Too bad says I .
What are your opinions ?
" I rang'd the world , I cross'd the seas,
in hopes my restless breast to ease,
By pleasures yet unknown :

To all amusements I have run ,
that's found beneath the daily sun;
Till weary I have grown . "

- Samuel Patterson a poor , lowly sailor circa 1800's
Kapinga626
Freshman Poster

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand