Enough is enough; I'm going to the Philippines.

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Saturn
Freshman Poster

Enough is enough; I'm going to the Philippines.

Post by Saturn »

So after my divorce this year I figured I may as well give American dating a few more chances. I figured that it was juvenille for me to point the finger at an entire group of women by saying "It's not ME! It's just them!". After all, isn't it horrible to generalize a whole group of women like that?

Wrong. Wrong on every level.

These women only have two goals; use men and further their careers. Then they go and wonder why they're depressed and not satisfied with their empowered life.

I have been burned again by the western dating scene. I refuse to take a backseat to a woman's career. It's not happening.

But of course it's completely taboo for a man to show any kind of pride or determination. It's just our 'fragile male ego', right? Wrong.

I am sick and tired of feeling guilty for wanting a housewife, inadequate for not being unreasonably rich, and labeled as having 'low ambitions' because my main goal in life is to have a traditional nuclear family.

Bullshit. I'm 25, well informed, educated, dedicated, and honorable. There's no reason I should be feeling like I 'missed the bus' when I'm at the top of my game and in my prime.

So I need to get away from here and see what things are like abroad. I'm starting with PI. I'm planning on going next summer, since I now work full time and can save up.

I want to know how much I should expect to spend on this trip, since I always plan far in advance. I'm very frugal and don't plan on buying much there except a cheap meal or two a day.

I want to spend around a week there. Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate if they have experience?

Btw, if there are any typos here I apologize; I'm posting from my phone.
zzzz
Freshman Poster

Post by zzzz »

What is your gameplan? Bar girls I take it since you said only a week? Where are you planning on going?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Be careful though- on the other side of the world similar gold diggers await and many a man, frustrated with American women would arrive in Thailand/Philippines to fall yet into another trap with girls taking him for everything he had. Stay cool!
Under no circumstances fall in love or try to "save" a bar girl. These are lost souls. Just party with them but for girlfriends, go to department stores and just do some " shopping" and give your number to many many salesgirls. But even then, stay calm. A love hungry American man grabbing the first girl he meets has been a recipe for many a disaster.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

or you could try thai girls.

I've had limited success with thai girls in L.A, if you can have any progress with a type of her in the U.S.A the source must be amazing.... just my take on it
Saturn
Freshman Poster

Post by Saturn »

Actually my gameplan isn't to go after random girls. There are a few girls from Manila that I've hit up on cherryblossoms and I'm going to see what they're all about.

I'm pretty aware of all the gold diggers and bar girl types. I usually make it known that I'm somewhat poor (even if that's not entirely true) but make them aware of my ambitions career wise. This usually filters out the ones only in it for money, and seems to leave those who are patient and attracted to ambitious men (which I see as perfectly natural). But if this approach is wrong, please let me know.

So since I only plan on shuttling myself around manila and buying one or two meals a day, how much does this normally cost.
zzzz
Freshman Poster

Post by zzzz »

ladislav wrote:Be careful though- on the other side of the world similar gold diggers await and many a man, frustrated with American women would arrive in Thailand/Philippines to fall yet into another trap with girls taking him for everything he had. Stay cool!
Under no circumstances fall in love or try to "save" a bar girl. These are lost souls. Just party with them but for girlfriends, go to department stores and just do some " shopping" and give your number to many many salesgirls. But even then, stay calm. A love hungry American man grabbing the first girl he meets has been a recipe for many a disaster.
Heed the warning especially if you are only there a short time. It always shocks me how dumb guys are putting a girl on support after 3 days, f***ing stupid. I really have to strongly disagree about all bar girls being lost souls however. There are bar girls and then there are bar girls, capiche? I lived with various girls in Angeles for months so I really got to know some of them well. Some bar girls used to work in department stores as sales ladies and some sales ladies used to be bar girls, especially in a town like Angeles. I agree however there are some scary, very slick, hard core bar girls who work the job as a career, these pros are best avoided.
Saturn wrote:Actually my gameplan isn't to go after random girls. There are a few girls from Manila that I've hit up on cherryblossoms and I'm going to see what they're all about.
I'd try and go longer than a week if you are just meeting internet girls. The reason is because many of these girls are not that brave once they have to meet you in person. If they are good girls most are shy to meet a foreigner. Often they'll be late, not show up at all, or come with friends or family. You'll definitely meet some nice girls but it can be frustrating as well. If you are there a week and say arrange to hang out with a girl all day then she stiffs you I can't imagine how annoying that'd be. It might be just as annoying if she shows up with her 3 cousins and expects you to pay for everything and you'll likely not be alone with her. Some definitely know about P4P however and are into that.
Saturn wrote:So since I only plan on shuttling myself around manila and buying one or two meals a day, how much does this normally cost.
Not much, a decent Manila hotel is ~1500 pesos (can find some cheaper and many more expensive) and that should include wifi, a room safe (or front desk safe), air con, cable tv, and a nice CR. Meals are cheap enough, usually under 200 pesos a person. Taxis in Manila are bad though, just make sure you ask for the meter before getting in and even then they might not turn it on. For most short trips (5-30mins) around Manila it should be in the 100-200 peso range for cab fare. If they ask straight away for anything like 500, 800, whatever they are trying to rip you off badly.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

ladislav wrote:Be careful though- on the other side of the world similar gold diggers await and many a man, frustrated with American women would arrive in Thailand/Philippines to fall yet into another trap with girls taking him for everything he had. Stay cool!
Can you elaborate a bit on the more sophisticated "take everything he had" type of scams in the Philippines?

Online I have encountered plenty of the small dollar "I need money for food" or "buy me a cam" cons but I haven't encountered any Bernie Madoff types that's fore sure!

Since I am going in December, anything I should watch for, other than having my usual antanae and common sense turned on?
newlife
Freshman Poster

Post by newlife »

One thing all women have in common is they want money. Like it or not, it's a fact of life.

The good news is some of these girls are okay if you make a crappy income in the west. They are perfectly content with being a housewife as long as you can pull in a small income by western standards.

I live on $1,000 a month here and I can guarantee you if I was living in the west, NO woman would be living with me! LOL. :lol:
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Saturn wrote:Actually my gameplan isn't to go after random girls. There are a few girls from Manila that I've hit up on cherryblossoms and I'm going to see what they're all about.

I'm pretty aware of all the gold diggers and bar girl types. I usually make it known that I'm somewhat poor (even if that's not entirely true) but make them aware of my ambitions career wise. This usually filters out the ones only in it for money, and seems to leave those who are patient and attracted to ambitious men (which I see as perfectly natural). But if this approach is wrong, please let me know.

So since I only plan on shuttling myself around manila and buying one or two meals a day, how much does this normally cost.
I chatted with women from all over PI and to be honest women from Manilla(and Luzon) would be my last choice. If things don't work out for you in Manilla get to Cebu fast, there women are a lot friendlier and more down to earth.
ssjparris
Junior Poster

Re: Enough is enough; I'm going to the Philippines.

Post by ssjparris »

Saturn wrote:So after my divorce this year I figured I may as well give American dating a few more chances. I figured that it was juvenille for me to point the finger at an entire group of women by saying "It's not ME! It's just them!". After all, isn't it horrible to generalize a whole group of women like that?

These women only have two goals; use men and further their careers. Then they go and wonder why they're depressed and not satisfied with their empowered life.

I have been burned again by the western dating scene. I refuse to take a backseat to a woman's career. It's not happening.

But of course it's completely taboo for a man to show any kind of pride or determination. It's just our 'fragile male ego', right? Wrong.

I am sick and tired of feeling guilty for wanting a housewife, inadequate for not being unreasonably rich, and labeled as having 'low ambitions' because my main goal in life is to have a traditional nuclear family.

Bullshit. I'm 25, well informed, educated, dedicated, and honorable. There's no reason I should be feeling like I 'missed the bus' when I'm at the top of my game and in my prime.

So I need to get away from here and see what things are like abroad. I'm starting with PI. I'm planning on going next summer, since I now work full time and can save up.

I want to know how much I should expect to spend on this trip, since I always plan far in advance. I'm very frugal and don't plan on buying much there except a cheap meal or two a day.

I want to spend around a week there. Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate if they have experience?

this is great taking the first step. no problem. i am sure you will love it there. they are so so radiant and vibrant. they flirt with you. and are so so open. you will like it there.

i would follow ladislav's advice since he lives there. and also ask winston. what is the best place to stay. that would be a good idea.

i am having some good and bad experiences here in L.A. i have met good quality asians that blush and giggle and are now friends. ofcourse LOTS of foreign girls turn into american women. and are even angrier then the AW's. its great i got two numbers now from asians. HA.

but ofcourse my story is beside the point...

i was told that they are humble and sweet women. and sex is overflowing there in the phillipines. be patient. in time you'll get there and be very very happy.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

I would also advise you against seeking girls from Manila. They are too westernized. How about a trip to Cebu instead? I think you'll find a higher percentage of single women many from small provinces. Join a site, chat with a few and go visit them in real life!
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Saturn wrote:So after my divorce this year I figured I may as well give American dating a few more chances. I figured that it was juvenille for me to point the finger at an entire group of women by saying "It's not ME! It's just them!". After all, isn't it horrible to generalize a whole group of women like that?

From what I read, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. I keep a home and small farm in the southern Philippines..in Mindanao.
Will be back in the USA for a couple of months taking care of business.
I would really advise you against travel into Manila for a week. Metro Manila to me, is a vast shithole.
You can fly directly into Cebu City in the south- a much better way to go, really.
And your idea for weeks stay?
Have you ever been on a long flight into Asia. Your time is totally upside down...makes you feel crappy for a couple of days with the extreme
jet lag.
To do anymore than test the waters in a week is pretty unlikely. How can you get to know someone in a week?
If possible, give yourself a couple of weeks at least...you will be a lot more functional. If you have specific questions, you may private mail me.

outwest
Simoun
Freshman Poster

Post by Simoun »

I just got back from Manila. I'll post a longer report later, but I took notes as I plan on going back. I stayed at the Contemporary Hotel on the edge of Quezon City. It was a little over $40/night and I thought it was on par with a Super 8 motel here in the U.S. You can certainly find nicer and probably cheaper.

From my experience, costs:
Can of San Miguel -30-40 pesos on the street, maybe 50-60 if you order from room service
Wine (bottle) - 700-900 pesos. I would avoid drinking wine. You can't order by the glass anywhere I went, and God only knows how long it's been sitting there. The one time I did have it, it was awful.
Mall food - small snack like a cup of taho was about 50 pesos.
Coke (bottle) - at a grocery store about 28 pesos
Coke (can) - maybe 20 pesos
Meal for 2 at Pizza Hut - 480 pesos
Meal for 2 at nicer restaurant - 500-600 pesos
Small bottle of cheap sugarcane liquor - 100 pesos
A meal at Jollibee - 200 pesos or less
Exit fee to leave the country - 750 pesos and they will take a combination of dollars and pesos

Honest cab ride from Aquino Airport to my hotel - 260 pesos (I was also charged 500 by a less than honest driver for the same trip). Try to learn the jeepney and bus system as quickly as you can. It's super cheap (9 pesos for a 1-2 kilometer ride in a jeepney up to 20 or 30 pesos for longer distances).

It's really hot there, I mean quite unpleasant. It cools down around 5-6pm however. Don't expect to use your credit card many places other than your hotel. There are ATM's all over though. Also, leave your OCD behind. A public bathroom will almost never have soap and will rarely have something to dry your hands with. That was very difficult for me.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Saturn wrote: I have been burned again by the western dating scene. I refuse to take a backseat to a woman's career. It's not happening.
Are you looking for a traditional family role where you're the sole bread winner, and your wife is a stay at home mother with your children?
syl.thyl
Freshman Poster

Post by syl.thyl »

Be really careful with the one week stuff. I've been to manila three times in the last 6 months. Met a very nice girl on the first trip that I have been in good contact with, talks about a long future, etc.. Yeah I probably could get married to her.. SOME DAY. There are many great girls there, no doubt, a few of them are in the bars. True. In fact a few very good girls can be found in the bars, you need to look hard and ask the right questions.

I would go for a month. No kidding. It's cheap enough to do. Just go and do it. Save your cash, and go for a month, or two. That's the ONLY WAY. Drop by Thailand, drop by Indonesia.. go to this site: GLOBAL NANPA. Watch the videos.

Read this: http://www.filipinawives.com/

THEN go there, for at least a month, no strings attached to your life back home, and come back ALONE. Take it slow buddy..