No Political Correctness in Thailand...

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

No Political Correctness in Thailand...

Post by Mr S »

Ha ha, Americans could never pull this off in the "Land of the Free" with our supposed free speech laws. That's one thing that is good about Thailand, they are equal opportunity cultural offenders still...

"Ignorance is bliss" :lol:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/09/28/world ... index.html

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

That is bizarre. Also, the article says it was the "Sacred Heart School" which is obviously Christian. What was the context of the parade? I personally think Christians should be kicked out of Thailand. Of course, anyone who has been raised a Buddhist doesn't have the aversion to the Swastika that Westerners have, since it is a Buddhist symbol.

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I liked Thailand as a tourist and that is why I was so excited to go and live there. Problems began when I started working there as just a normal person and not with some big multinational and had to deal with the local immigration officials, coworkers as well as when I tried to do business there on my own. The biggest disappointments and shocks began when I learned the language and understood all the expletives. One thing is to skim the English- speaking tourist Thailand and it is completely different when you actually live in proper Thailand on the Thai terms and in the Thai language. The latter sucks if you are a non Oriental because there are many Asian Supremacists there who despise, hate and insult anyone who is not an Oriental. And they do it all in the Thai language while smiling.
Just my experience. I know many people will beg to differ but until you learn Thai and start dealing with them on that level you simply do not qualify.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Seeker
Freshman Poster

Post by Seeker »

How vile, and this is a Christian school? I've seen young Pinoys wearing the swatika (Nazi style) but they have no idea what it represents. To put on a Nazi PARADE is totally ridiculous. Obviously Thais are no more knowledgeable about Nazis than Filipinos are.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

The Swastika symbol is VERY old. From what I know in the past it meant good luck.

As a matter of fact, where I live right now (around Indians) my neighbor has one (they are Indian) above his door. It's very small along with other small symbols
Seeker
Freshman Poster

Post by Seeker »

There are difference between the various types of swastika. The traditional Hindu/Buddhist/Jain swastika looks different and has a different meaning to the Nazi swastika which is the one used in this NAZI parade. The swastika that Filipinos sometimes wear is also of the Nazi kind.
cadams84
Freshman Poster

Post by cadams84 »

ladislav wrote:I liked Thailand as a tourist and that is why I was so excited to go and live there. Problems began when I started working there as just a normal person and not with some big multinational and had to deal with the local immigration officials, coworkers as well as when I tried to do business there on my own. The biggest disappointments and shocks began when I learned the language and understood all the expletives. One thing is to skim the English- speaking tourist Thailand and it is completely different when you actually live in proper Thailand on the Thai terms and in the Thai language. The latter sucks if you are a non Oriental because there are many Asian Supremacists there who despise, hate and insult anyone who is not an Oriental. And they do it all in the Thai language while smiling.
Just my experience. I know many people will beg to differ but until you learn Thai and start dealing with them on that level you simply do not qualify.
Eh, it doesn't seem so bad. I've seen the things people say about non whites here in the United States where everyone involved speaks English. At least the people of Thailand say it knowing most people can’t understand. Everybody thinks they are better than everyone else. I would be surprised if any of those Thai's were WW2 buffs.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Storm11_girl
Freshman Poster

they know the truth

Post by Storm11_girl »

google the gaschambers scam and go to this link and see how the witness and survivors are liars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyMVWVBmGVo
Aiden
Freshman Poster

Post by Aiden »

I hope that this political and social instability will be settled soon because Thai land earns major of his revenue from tourism and political and social instabilities are not good for this industry.