Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

"My Filipina" where does this come from?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

"My Filipina" where does this come from?

Postby Repatriate » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:08 am

I noticed a lot of expats living in the Philippines refer to their woman as "my filipina" and I was wondering why it's used in this way? It sounds like someone is talking about their chihuahua or something. I've never heard of people living here in Thailand refer to their gf or wife as "my Thai" or expats in China refer to them as "my Chinese" so it's kind of interesting to me. :lol:
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Postby Winston » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:55 am

Maybe subconsciously, the expats view their Filipina as their property or some kind of animal? lol

After all, expats also refer to Filipinos as "monkeys" or looking like them, so that might tell you something too?
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby OutWest » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:29 am

Winston wrote:Maybe subconsciously, the expats view their Filipina as their property or some kind of animal? lol

After all, expats also refer to Filipinos as "monkeys" or looking like them, so that might tell you something too?

Considering the quality of girl that many expats in the Philippines hook up with, you might be right...a case of expats seeking their own level! LOL
I avoid other expats like the plague! The majority seem to be soulless classless jerks who were just looking for a wet hole in the mattress to hump!
I have met only a few who have more than that going for them.

>>>Don't learn the hard way! When dealing with other expats in the Philippines or anywhere else..BEWARE!

Outwest
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Re: "My Filipina" where does this come from?

Postby Rock » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:48 am

Repatriate wrote:I noticed a lot of expats living in the Philippines refer to their woman as "my filipina" and I was wondering why it's used in this way? It sounds like someone is talking about their chihuahua or something. I've never heard of people living here in Thailand refer to their gf or wife as "my Thai" or expats in China refer to them as "my Chinese" so it's kind of interesting to me. :lol:

Perhaps it has something to do with language. When talking about a person from the PI, you can distinguish between male and female by applying the correct last letter - o for male, a for female, similar to Spanish and some other Latin languages. But when you talk about a Chinese or Thai person, this is not the case.

If I had a gf from China/Thailand/Taiwan - I might refer to her as my Chinese gf/Thai gf/Taiwanese gf. If I didn't add the gf suffix, it would sound strange to my American ears. BUT, if I had a had a gf from PI/Colombia/DR/LatAm, I might just refer to her as my Filipina/Colombiana/Dominicana/Latina, cus having a single word which implies a female combined with the possessive 'my' is close enough for most people to understand the meaning - that she's my girl.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Rock » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:59 am

Following on from my last post, another case of different language use I noticed was on some of the Korean soap operas aired in Taiwan and dubbed in Mandarin. The one that comes to mind is when addressing a person's mom. For example, consider a young woman who has just one child, a 4 year old boy named Qiqi. Sometimes, the husband and other people who are close might address her as "Qiqi de ma" meaning "Qiqi's mom". I'm not sure exactly how they say it in Korean but it always struck me as rather strange. I've never seen anyone in Taiwan or other NE Asian country address someone that way. Perhaps its unique to Korea.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby green1976 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:11 pm

Maybe some expats call them "monkeys"because of the nose isn't it? :D

It's incredible the filipina nose lol.

In Thailand, rhinoplasty and nose bridge elevation is common,because so many ladies are obsessed to have a high nose bridge.

Well, after seen some filipina girls,and i don't find it for myself repulsive or particularly ugly,some of them have the nose or the look like a gremlin. :lol:
Yes probably, the my filipina expression is related to that.
green1976
Freshman Poster

Postby Raja » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:34 am

Rock wrote:Following on from my last post, another case of different language use I noticed was on some of the Korean soap operas aired in Taiwan and dubbed in Mandarin. The one that comes to mind is when addressing a person's mom. For example, consider a young woman who has just one child, a 4 year old boy named Qiqi. Sometimes, the husband and other people who are close might address her as "Qiqi de ma" meaning "Qiqi's mom". I'm not sure exactly how they say it in Korean but it always struck me as rather strange. I've never seen anyone in Taiwan or other NE Asian country address someone that way. Perhaps its unique to Korea.

Remember the TV series The Courtship of Eddie's Farther? What did Mrs. Livingston, presumably a Japanese war bride and now widow call dad? "Mr. Eddie's father"
Raja
Freshman Poster

Re: "My Filipina" where does this come from?

Postby Raja » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:38 am

Repatriate wrote:I noticed a lot of expats living in the Philippines refer to their woman as "my filipina" and I was wondering why it's used in this way? It sounds like someone is talking about their chihuahua or something. I've never heard of people living here in Thailand refer to their gf or wife as "my Thai" or expats in China refer to them as "my Chinese" so it's kind of interesting to me. :lol:

Its not just expats, the guys who do the internet introductions/dating sites also use the term. Perhaps it is because they specialize and start looking for a Filipina specifically and not the right woman in many places including the Philippines.
Raja
Freshman Poster

Postby Rock » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:54 am

Raja wrote:
Rock wrote:Following on from my last post, another case of different language use I noticed was on some of the Korean soap operas aired in Taiwan and dubbed in Mandarin. The one that comes to mind is when addressing a person's mom. For example, consider a young woman who has just one child, a 4 year old boy named Qiqi. Sometimes, the husband and other people who are close might address her as "Qiqi de ma" meaning "Qiqi's mom". I'm not sure exactly how they say it in Korean but it always struck me as rather strange. I've never seen anyone in Taiwan or other NE Asian country address someone that way. Perhaps its unique to Korea.

Remember the TV series The Courtship of Eddie's Farther? What did Mrs. Livingston, presumably a Japanese war bride and now widow call dad? "Mr. Eddie's father"

so desu ne!
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby cadams84 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:01 am

Winston wrote:Maybe subconsciously, the expats view their Filipina as their property or some kind of animal? lol

I would like to think that it is a term of endearment and not that...

If this is something that is commonly said in expat circles I wonder if their Filipina’s refer to their boyfriends and husbands as their American, or Australian to their friends.
cadams84
Freshman Poster

Postby Rock » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:09 pm

cadams84 wrote:

I would like to think that it is a term of endearment and not that...

If this is something that is commonly said in expat circles I wonder if their Filipina’s refer to their boyfriends and husbands as their American, or Australian to their friends.

Yes, it reminds me of Trixie on Jackie Gleason's "The Honeymooners" (which is available in-full on Youtube). She would often refer to her husband as "My Ed" cus his name was Ed.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand