Rock, Momopi, is China this dirty?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Winston
Site Admin

Rock, Momopi, is China this dirty?

Post by Winston »

A female friend of mine from Singapore told me this about Beijing.

"I'm still in Beijing now. And getting very disgusted with their unhygienic habits :(. Shanghai may be a better place to visit."

"I just didn't like how spitting is a culture in Beijing. It is just very unhygienic. Don't you think so? Just reminded me of how SARS came about last time."

"I would say the people in Beijing are not that clean. You could smell funny 'scents' inside the subway, and my host did mention that they are not very fond of showering. Double gross. That's Beijing that I experienced. Kinda make me not wanna go to China again."

Are Chinese cities really that dirty? To what degree?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Rock, Momopi, is China this dirty?

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:A female friend of mine from Singapore told me this about Beijing.

"I'm still in Beijing now. And getting very disgusted with their unhygienic habits :(. Shanghai may be a better place to visit."

"I just didn't like how spitting is a culture in Beijing. It is just very unhygienic. Don't you think so? Just reminded me of how SARS came about last time."

"I would say the people in Beijing are not that clean. You could smell funny 'scents' inside the subway, and my host did mention that they are not very fond of showering. Double gross. That's Beijing that I experienced. Kinda make me not wanna go to China again."

Its all relative. If you first go to a big Indian city then go directly to about anywhere in China, you will be amazed at how clean it seems, lol. But if you come from Japan or even Taiwan, you will probably be disgusted by some of the things you see.

People spit a lot, especially guys. I've even seen it happen right in restaurants. Guys smoke too. Go into an Internet cafe and you will have a hard time breathing. Many people are also loud and uncouth. The lack of proper education and socialization shows clearly with many. There is a big difference between various types of people so some are OK while others are terrible.

Public toilets tend to be disaster zones. A lot of restaurants are not sanitary. And general product quality is suspect. A lot of corners are cut.

As for general appearance, there are big differences between cities. For example, I found Chongqing to be a very dirty and dusty city. On the other hand, Qingdao seemed quite clean and tidy to me. Some of the 3rd tier cities you've probably never even heard of are amazingly clean. Others, not so much.

I believe, as time passes, and standards get set and enforced, China will continue to enjoy quality of life improvements. These issues should gradually fade.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

I didn't feel Beijing or Shanghai were exceptionally dirty. Downtown Los Angeles is far grimier and so is most of SE Asia aside from Singapore.

You have to remember your friend from Singapore probably has anal retentive standards of cleanliness based on living in a country that is anal retentive about these things.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:A female friend of mine from Singapore told me this about Beijing.

DISCLAIMER: I have not been back in Beijing since 2007. Your experience today may vary.

By SG standards, Chinese cities are dirty. People spit and litter, public restrooms are smelly and often without stall doors. Parents let their kids piss in the bushes. Prior to the 2008 Olympics, Beijing actually rounded up all the old taxi's and sent them to other cities, and enforced training for taxi drivers not to spit out the window -- they were instructed to spit into a cup instead. The subway cars feel aged and have exposed fluorescent light tubes (no covers), but is still better than Paris subway. >_> On Beijing subway you might dislike someone's BO, in Paris the homeless sleeps in subway stations and piss behind the vending machine (no public restrooms).

The tap water in Chinese coastal cities is "hard". Upscale hotels have their own water filtration and softener systems. Unfiltered tap water can be harsh on your hair and skin if you're not used to it. Beijing can be dusty, so after walking around outside, if you take a white washcloth and wipe your face with it, you'd find black marks on the towel where you used to wipe your nose. Depending on the person, some Chinese do not like to use the shower, preferring to take long baths instead.

China's waste management is not very good, there's a lot of uncollected trash, unauthorized dump sites, and inadequate landfill capacity. But much of the solid waste can be recycled or used for waste-to-energy conversion, and it's a big money. Chinese cities are keen to cash in and many American Waste Management companies have been going to China for past few years. Once the profit motive sets in, I think the trash management will be less of an issue.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2 ... 531103.htm (WM actually collects my trash here in Irvine)
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/01/26/ ... ese-trash/

Like most other places, there's a different standard to your experience, depending on how much you pay. For example, a foreign student at BeiDa University pays $2400 RMB per month and stays in a 2 person dorm room that's nice and clean with AC, gym, entertainment rooms, etc:

Versus local Chinese students pay $700 RMB per year (not per month) and stays in 4 person dorm rooms that's crowded and dirty:

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Thanks all. But why isn't China as clean as Taiwan and Hong Kong?

Why do so many need to spit? What is the purpose of that?

Rock, how would you compare the cleanliness of Beijing vs. Angeles City?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Mr S
Veteran Poster

An idiot abroad - Toilets in China

Post by Mr S »

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:Thanks all. But why isn't China as clean as Taiwan and Hong Kong?
China is not as developed as TW or HK (or SG). Back in 1980s, people chew betel nut and spit on the ground everywhere in Taiwan. You won't see a lot of that in Taipei today. Give it another 20-30 years to move through the natural development progress, urban folks in China would probably not smoke and spit as much. But rural folks are not likely to change.

Instead of asking endless number of questions, buy a plane ticket and go look for yourself. First hand experience is better than second hand info.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Spitting

Post by publicduende »

Spitting is deeply rooted in Chinese culture, not something that can be "taught away" to old generations. That's why in Singapore chewing gums are notoriously banned: just imagine the effort cleaning streets of thousands of gums spat on paved floors. I have lived in Singapore for a few months though and have never seen a single person younger than 50 spitting in public, let alone on the floor. As a habit, it's probably going to die off soon. In mainland China...probably more difficult, due to the much wider social and cultural levels of people living in a given city.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

The Chinese are not known for having good manners or behaviors at all, i.e., spitting, nose picking, queue jumping, politeness. The Mainland Chinese including people from Hong Kong are some of the rudest people in all of Asia. They make the Asian race look very bad in all honesty. That's why I greatly admire the Japanese for having a lot of dignity in their culture. I think South Koreans and Taiwanese are getting better at etiquette due to improving economic conditions and Westernization. I don't know too much about Southeast Asians, although I do like Thai's and their friendly culture.
BEIJINGSHOTS
Freshman Poster

Post by BEIJINGSHOTS »

sars was brought to China via the cia. shanghai may be a better place to visit, especially if youre a stuck up foreigner, but there are plenty of places in beijing that cater to China hating foreigners
BEIJINGSHOTS
Freshman Poster

Post by BEIJINGSHOTS »

Winston wrote:Thanks all. But why isn't China as clean as Taiwan and Hong Kong?

cleanliness is usually matched with fascism. notice how singapore is extremely clean, but also extremely fascist, and authoritarian. you get caned for spray painting graffiti there. japan is also clean, but fascist. also, i recomend you go to my website to check out the prisoner per capita break down. taiwan, and hong kong are both cleaner than the mainland, but check out their incarceration rates, much higher than the mainland. people in taiwan and hong kong are repressed like a bunch of domesticated animals, thats how it is clean. you can see the same sort of scenario in western countries. you go to these posh, clean suburbs, with over zealous cops arrested everyone for driving while black. these are also the same places where you get arrested for jwalking, and riding your bike without a helment. yes, it's clean, but it comes at a cost (civil liberties). it's actually normal to spit. what they want you to be in fascist regimes is to be not human, so you all can live like robots. just swallow your spit. just work, eat, and sleep.
http://www.beijingshots.com/2011/09/lis ... tion-rate/
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Spitting is really only a Northern China thing. I saw it in Hubei, but not much in Shanghai or Guangzhou. It's really related to the bad air in the North (caused by the sands of the Gobi desert, and more recently, pollution).

China certainly isn't that clean. It's just a cultural thing really, ChinaTown in London is filthy as well. Also China is often hot and humid, and stuff just gets old real quick in the tropics.

On the other hand, I've never had major food problems in China. And my expat friend told me he only ever had one bad food episode.

A lot of pushing/shoving/loudness goes on in China. Again it's just cultural. Chinese tourists were VERY obvious in Tokyo. Some of the loudness is good - being on an old diesel Chinese train was a lot of fun, whereas you're afraid to make any noise at all on a Japanese bullet train.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

I just remembr my Friend from Vietnam that lives in Australia,
he spits all the time and when i was over at his place he spits on the floor while watching TV, he said its noramal in his culture and also picking nose by both men and women is common, especially when they driving you will notice chinese people doing it

Do women in China spit like men do?

On a side note they eat dogs,snakes, rats...next time before you kiss chik in Beijing ask her if she had doggs steaks for dinner..woof woof
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: An idiot abroad - Toilets in China

Post by Jester »

Mr S wrote:
good video
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

BEIJINGSHOTS wrote:

sars was brought to China via the cia. shanghai may be a better place to visit, especially if youre a stuck up foreigner, but there are plenty of places in beijing that cater to China hating foreigners

BeijingShots it's good to see my favorite Commie again.

I certainly agree with you about SARS, obviously one of the CIA's race-specific viruses.

So why do the world's commies, especially the Chinese, not mention this?

It's one thing to have to put up with genocidal games, for the moment. But why do you all keep silent?