Travel Q&A's about China

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

momopi wrote:
Winston wrote: How do I say "5 year Taiwan Compatriot Permit" in Mandarin? Can you write it in Chinese?
Is this more expensive than just getting a 1 year multi-entry visa for a Taiwan passport?
You cannot apply for a 1 year multi-entry VISA tor China on your Taiwan/ROC passport. The Chinese government does not officially accept Taiwan/ROC as a sovereign country.

In China they do not refer the TW/ROC President as "President", instead they use "台湾地区领导人" (Taiwan Area leader person), "台湾当局领导人", "台湾领导人", etc. 台湾地区 (Taiwan Area) denotes areas under control by Taiwan/ROC government, including Taiwan, Penghu, Matsu, Kinmen, Taiping Island, etc. It's a more realpolitik name than "Taiwan province".

For questions relating to Taiwan Compatriot Permit costs and application process, contact your local travel agent. If your mother went to China as a tourist last year, she probably already has one.
But last year, at a nightclub, me and Rock met a guy who said his travel agent could get me a 1 year multi entry visa to China for 2000NT. What was he talking about then? Was he referring to a compatriot permit? Or an under the table deal?

So when Taiwanese people go to China, they apply for this permit? Do you have one Momopi?

My mom went to China many years ago on a visa with her American passport.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote: But last year, at a nightclub, me and Rock met a guy who said his travel agent could get me a 1 year multi entry visa to China for 2000NT. What was he talking about then? Was he referring to a compatriot permit? Or an under the table deal?
So when Taiwanese people go to China, they apply for this permit? Do you have one Momopi?
My mom went to China many years ago on a visa with her American passport.

1. You can apply for a 1 year multi-entry VISA to China with your US passport. China recognizes US as a sovereign nation, but not Taiwan/ROC.

2. My previous employer paid for my China VISA (on US passport). We used a VISA processing service.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

So if China doesn't recognize Taiwan as a sovereign nation, but as belonging to China, then why doesn't it just let Taiwanese citizens into China without a visa? You'd think they would, wouldn't you?

Also, isn't Hong Kong part of China now too? If so, how come you can go there without a visa?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:So if China doesn't recognize Taiwan as a sovereign nation, but as belonging to China, then why doesn't it just let Taiwanese citizens into China without a visa? You'd think they would, wouldn't you?
Also, isn't Hong Kong part of China now too? If so, how come you can go there without a visa?

1. Since China does not recognize Taiwan/ROC passport, that passport is not considered valid travel documents. So you have to apply for a 台胞證 as your travel and identification document. A VISA is travel document/permit usually stapled to your existing passport. 台胞證 is like your TW/ROC passport replacement for the purpose of traveling to China.

2. Hong Kong and Macao are SAR areas with their own immigration, monetary, taxation, customs, legal system, etc. Hong Kong issues its own passport and has independent immigration policy that accepts TW/ROC passport as valid travel document and VISA-free visit. These things were probably negotiated 30 years ago between Deng Xiaoping and Margret Thatcher, and is beyond the scope of this discussion. If you have travel document related questions, you should call your local travel agency in Taiwan who'd know the latest regulations and fees.

PRC passport:

Hong Kong SAR passport:

Last edited by momopi on December 13th, 2011, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Winston wrote:Thanks. I see Xiamen is in Fuijan province. I guess it makes sense that Fuijan province is the one where people speak Taiwanese, since it's the province that is right across from Taiwan. lol Duh.
My girlfriend told me that Fujian language is where Taiwanese comes from. I went there for a show once, in Fuzhou, and it was a nice place. Much more simple than Shanghai, Beijing or Guangzhou. The University had scores and scores of cute girls, easily on the level of the pics you posted, but younger. There was a rumor, and just a rumor mind you, that many well off business men would travel there to do some small business and for an apartment and a couple grand RMB each month would have any girl for the taking.

I never confirmed that, though.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
Well I went to the travel agency here and asked about the 5 year compatriot permit to China, that Momopi told me about. He was right. It's easy and convenient to get.

Here's how it works. All I have to do is pay 1500NT (about $50) and wait five days, and then I'll be issued a permit in my Taiwanese passport to go to China that's good for five years. Each time I go, I have to get a clearance stamp in my passport first, that's good for 3 months and costs only 400NT. After that, I have to leave the country and get another clearance stamp in order to come back in. It may be possible to extend it within China, but that all depends on the circumstances.

So that's it. Easy as pie. It's like paying $50 for a five year visa. That's super cheap.

I guess China wants to make it easy and convenient for Taiwanese citizens to go to China, to help improve relations and a promote a positive image of China in Taiwan, in the hopes of reconciliation someday.

Thanks for the tip Momopi.

JamaicaninChina
Freshman Poster

Post by JamaicaninChina »

Winston wrote:Hey I got a wild idea. If China works out, maybe I could be like Mark Davis and conduct romance tours there for Western guys? lol. What do you think? We could call it "China Quest Tour". Good idea? lol
Great idea! I was thinking of doing the same thing! :-)
I really liked Xishuangbanna. Very friendly and beautiful place, but keep in mind that I did stand out....not many Jamaicans there!
I'm not here to convince, justify, defend or apologize for my beliefs, choices or lifestyle. I'm not here for validation, vindication, approval or to respond to personal attacks. I'm here to share a philosophy & formula that worked for me! And in a world of 6 billion, if ONE person can do a thing, then it MUST be possible for at least ONE other person to do the same! Freedom is achievable!
Turn Your Passion Into Profit - http://www.waltgoodridge.com
Jamaican in China blog - http://www.jamaicaninchina.com
ricklee
Freshman Poster

Re: Travel Q&A's about China

Post by ricklee »

1. Is it better to travel between cities by plane or train? Which is cheaper? Are trains comfortable like in Russia?

- There are as good as Western European trains

2. Which city is best to go first? Guangdou looks closer, and many Chinese girls I've corresponded seem to be from there for some reason. Why? Are people poorer there?

- They are mostly from other provinces. Also, I'd say norther girls are better looking.. lastly, poorer people are from other provinces. The locals are better off.

3. Which are the best cities for girls? What about for culture and tourist attractions?

- Norther cities

4. Which part of China do people speak Taiwanese, or a language similar to it? Was it Hokkian or something? Where is that? What city exactly?

- Fujian province

5. How should I find hotels? The ones advertised online are expensive. Is there a way to get more affordable ones? Or should I use hostels and couchsurfing? Should I ask taxi drivers? Or use Lonely Planet?

- Hostels if you can.. you'll end up meeting lots of girls there if your game is good.
Everyone is normal until you get to know them
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Some more travel questions:

1. If I go into China, do I need a return ticket or onward ticket? Will they ask for one? What if I go to Hong Kong and take the train to Guangdong? Will that bypass the requirement?

2. What other cities besides Beijing are close to the Great Wall of China? Any southern cities? Where does the southern tip of the Great Wall end? And which city is closest to it?

3. Is there a way to get to the Great Wall without taking that stupid gondola on the cable? Some people are afraid of heights and don't feel safe on that thing. Surely there must be another way to get there for such people right?

Thanks.

keius
Freshman Poster

Post by keius »

1. It depends. I've never heard of US citizens being required to show return tickets or even an itinerary. I sure wasn't.
Depending on what passport you're using, i'd check with your local office. China does require return tickets for many countries. Using a Taiwan passport, you might need that return ticket but i wouldn't know.

2. Beijing is prob the best, and most easily accessible spot from which to hit the great wall. There are always other places to get to it but you have to realize that you will prob want to be seeing the safest and best maintained, most scenic spots. That means Beijing. Just google for the great wall and tourist information.

If you don't want to, you don't need to take any gondola's or tracks or slides. The tour I had taken required we climb and climb...and climb...up and then back down...took hours and it was exhausting. I was soaked in sweat. Lots of stairs.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:Some more travel questions:
1. If I go into China, do I need a return ticket or onward ticket? Will they ask for one? What if I go to Hong Kong and take the train to Guangdong? Will that bypass the requirement?
2. What other cities besides Beijing are close to the Great Wall of China? Any southern cities? Where does the southern tip of the Great Wall end? And which city is closest to it?
3. Is there a way to get to the Great Wall without taking that stupid gondola on the cable? Some people are afraid of heights and don't feel safe on that thing. Surely there must be another way to get there for such people right?
Thanks.
1. Contact your local travel agency in Taiwan.
2. The Great Wall (or many sections of) runs mostly along the China-Mongolia border to the North, and built in East-West direction. There is no section of the wall in the South.
3. Ask the folks here: http://www.greatwallforum.com/forum/
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hey check out this site about Guilin China. It looks like a lovely place. One of the girls I'm corresponding with whom I connect with is from there.

http://www.guilinchina.net/

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wow check out this panorama photo of the Great Wall of China!

ExpeditionSailor
Freshman Poster

Post by ExpeditionSailor »

China's one place I'd like to go to check out women, but I don't think my lungs could handle the pollution there, and my sensitive constitution might not handle the food there too well unless it's well-cooked. I'm thinking Thailand might be a better choice for me if not the Philippines.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is a huge CouchSurfing group in China. In it are many subgroups for different regions in China where members announce get-togethers and social activities. It's a great way to meet some good quality genuinely nice people.

http://www.couchsurfing.org/group.html?gid=111