Travel Q&A's about China

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 27th, 2013, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out this hotel in a mountain area that one of my Chinese chatmates works for. Look at the prices and pictures of the rooms. Wow I can't believe they are that cheap. Is this for real?

http://www.gxdrstd.com/HotelManagement.html
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Today I showed my aunt and uncle some mega photo albums of my trips to Russia (my parents shipped by boat a ton of stuff from their home in Washington over to Taiwan, including my photo albums) to prove to them that the rest of the world is not as closed as Taiwan, and that people in other countries are far more open with strangers, including girls.

They believed me after seeing all my hundreds of pictures. My uncle then said that he has been to China before, and that people in China are MORE OPEN than in Taiwan!

So it's true after all! Why is it then, that some people say that China is more open than Taiwan in terms of people talking to strangers, while others say it's about the same?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Winston wrote: So it's true after all! Why is it then, that some people say that China is more open than Taiwan in terms of people talking to strangers, while others say it's about the same?
The reason is simple. China is a HUGE country. One of the largest in the world. Look at its size on a map. It ranges from southern, hot tropical to northern siberian winter, from western, middle east style desert to cool east coast seaside. Some places are slow, lazy and more friendly than Philippines. Some other places are fast, stuck up and colder than Tokyo Japan!
Winston wrote:Check out this hotel in a mountain area that one of my Chinese chatmates works for. Look at the prices and pictures of the rooms. Wow I can't believe they are that cheap. Is this for real?

I don't see anything so cheap on that site. I just spent two days in an awesome place for about $25 USD per night. Had awesome room service, HDTV, great heater (since it's -5°C outside lately) and even a computer with internet. (also had WIFI since I brought my own computer)
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I've been checking out some Guangzhou budget hotels. Around $20 a night seems doable, although some of the ctrip reports about them a little dubious. I'll send one of my contacts in to check them out!

I'm wondering if I should cut a hotel a deal to stay there all the time I'm in China. At least then I wouldn't have the hassle of my own apartment, and I'd have all the free toothbrushes I'd ever need. Also free aircon and free internet could make my plan fairly viable!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hey can someone translate this hotel site for me? My Chinese chatmate works there. The thing is, there are many prices on there, but I can't tell what they pertain to exactly. Can someone tell me what the different prices are for in terms of the type of rooms?

Rock, you mentioned that you stayed in a cheap chain hotel in China called "7 days". Does it have a website that shows the prices and locations?

Also, check out this great China travel site I found. It's very informative. If you are going to China, you should check it out.

http://www.chinatourguide.com/attractions/index.html
Last edited by Winston on January 26th, 2013, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:Hey can someone translate this hotel site for me? My Chinese chatmate works there. The thing is, there are many prices on there, but I can't tell what they pertain to exactly. Can someone tell me what the different prices are for in terms of the type of rooms?
Is there a reason why you're not asking your chat mate who actually works there?

http://www.gxdrstd.com/en/HotelManagement.html

All rooms have double/full-sized beds. Most expensive room (VIP) includes breakfast while others do not. Cheapest room do not have broadband vs others do.

The web site's English edition needs work. Perhaps you can negotiate with the hotel or resort owner for a barter. You can update the English pages in exchange for free room for a few days. Sub-contract the translation work to your translator in Taiwan. If successful, perhaps you can hit up other hotel/resort owners in China with poorly translated sites and offer the same service, using this hotel/resort as your work reference.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Just booked a couple of hotels in Guangzhou. They're around 220RMB a night (around $36). That seems good for such a big and prosperous city.

Chinese hotels almost always have free Internet and often a massage service :-P .
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I have a question. When I arrived in Shanghai at the airport, I was given an immigration form that said on it that when you arrive in China, within 24 hours you have to register at a hotel so that the government knows where you are. Wtf? Does that mean everyday you are in China, you have to register your location so that the government can track you? How does that work exactly? How strict is this?

Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Winston, I've already told you a little about this over the phone. Hotel receptionists will ask you for your shenfenzheng 身份证(Chinese ID) if they think you're Chinese. Give them your passport and tell them to register your passport number, along with your Chinese name and US-based address. They may scan your passport too. All this goes into the national Chinese police database. However, some hotels, especially in rural areas, may not register you, and nothing actually happens if you don't get registered.

This is annoying at first, but eventually you'll get really used to it. It's like showing your ID before registering at hotels in the US. China, with its brutally efficient Communist oligarchy, has very strict residency laws, but when you're walking around the streets, it actually somehow feels much freer than in the US.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yeah I noticed that at the airport. Even though I had a US passport, they still wanted me to write down my Chinese name, even though it's not in my US passport. Why do they want me to write down my Chinese name, esp if it's not even in my passport? Strange.

So people in China can't just move to another city if they don't like the one they're in? Why not? Can't they just use money to move?

Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Winston wrote:So people in China can't just move to another city if they don't like the one they're in? Why not? Can't they just use money to move?
Of course they can move around freely, but migrants from the countryside often wouldn't have something called a "hukou," or a residency permit that would qualify them for government benefits, like schooling for their children.

The easiest way to have all your questions answered is to get out of Las Vegas ASAP, and see what China is like for yourself. China really feels like many countries in one, and is incredibly diverse. You'll be sure to have an incredible cultural experience here if you're open-minded. :D
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yeah I've always felt quite free here, and fairly safe also. I've only been stopped by the police once, and it was when I got lost and accidentally walked into a restricted area. This is really the only thing you can get in trouble for as they're hypersensitive about their military and other secret stuff.

The police overlook a lot anyway, but it depends on what the local officials think is the priority. #1 priority EVERYWHERE is stopping people demonstrating or forming angry mobs. Seen a bit of that here.

My Sz hotel was on the same block as the police station, but it didn't stop the hooking.

In Gz hooking is a lot less obvious, the police don't like it here. But they don't care so much about street cooking or hawking of goods.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

I've heard that hooking has moved over to the Foshan area now. Almost all the massage places you see in Guangzhou are now actual massage places, many of which have blind massagers.

Honking and driving motorcycles have also been prohibited in Guangzhou.

Dongguan is still notorious as a "sin city" though, as well as being the "sweatshop capital" of China. Plenty of people I've met in Yunnan and Guizhou have recently returned from factories (sweatshops) in Dongguan, a result of the current global economic crisis.

Xiongmao focuses on savvy urban Guangdong women, and I've had great experiences with simple small-town / rural Yunnan women. We might swap stories to get an even more complete picture of dating ladies in China. :D And Winston, get out of Las Vegas and into China so you can have a blast with the rest of us!
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

I'm interested in how this goes, surely the ladies are just begging for a super achiever like Winston to come into their lives.

But I don’t really see how someone like him fits into a society like China. He still hasn't answered my questions here: viewtopic.php?t=18233 I mean he could easily find a sweet, Cantonese woman in her 30s to live with and perhaps start a business or something which requires little work/stress, but up till now that has been below him.