Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Britain's Chinese Tiger Mums

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Britain's Chinese Tiger Mums

Postby Twobrains » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:35 pm

I just saw an interesting BBC documentary about some Chinese women raising their young kids in London. They talked about their backgrounds in China and Taiwan and how they came to value high educational attainment above all else. Now they're forcing it on their own kids who barely have time to play; every minute of the day is structured, even at weekends. The women didn't come across as dragons, in fact they were fairly charming, but they clearly ran their households with rods of iron!

UK members can see the programme on iPlayer.
Twobrains
Freshman Poster

Postby xiongmao » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:55 am

Yeah, it was quite a nice program and the tiger moms weren't that bad!

I was struck by how rough/harsh the women's voices were, few of the Chinese women I've dated have sounded like that thank goodness. You'll be nagged by that voice enough, so make sure you choose a wife with a voice you can stand!

The mixed babies were very cute, the girls looked like their Chinese moms, but with bigger eyes. I'm sure they'll be stunning when they grow up.

It was telling that Chinese and Indian parents were going the extra mile to educate their kids - and it was good they recognised which direction the UK economy is heading.

Any guy thinking of finding a Chinese wife should take a look at this show, just to know what they're letting themselves in for!

:twisted:
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby fox » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:29 pm

although I don't agree with everything the lady who wrote the book: tiger mom says:

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/tiger-m ... n-12794964

and I saw other interivews with her as well...

one thing I do like is this:

she won't allow her children to watch TV - Ok that's a bit extreme but most of what you see on TV today is either garbage
or the worhsip of women and the emasculation of men at the same time.

So again although it's extreme I like it :twisted:
fox
Freshman Poster

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand