Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

The Myth of the Taiwanese Young Generation Being More Open

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

The Myth of the Taiwanese Young Generation Being More Open

Postby Winston » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:24 pm

The Myth and Lie of the Taiwanese Young Generation Being More Open
By Winston Wu (Founder of HappierAbroad.com)

“The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.â€￾ - Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor

I don't understand something. Why do people say that the young generation in Taiwan is more "open" than previous generations?! No frickin way! Who the hell started this myth and lie?

The reality of everyday experience is the opposite. In Taiwan, the only people that freely engage strangers in conversation are the elderly folks and foreigners. They are the only ones that freely talk to me anywhere I go in Taiwan. Young Taiwanese adults (especially women) definitely DO NOT freely engage strangers in conversation. HELL NO! Instead, they are cliquish, stuck up, snobby, and uncomfortable making eye contact or conversation with strangers. Their body language and vibe is NOT relaxed or open toward strangers at all. You see, in their minds, they are either "too cool" or too shy to talk to someone they don't know. Now that is definitely NOT a characteristic of being "open". No way jose. Not at all.

In fact, this closed cliquish exterior behavior makes the Taiwanese more like the Japanese rather than the mainland Chinese, despite their ethnic roots.

People who are truly "open" will freely engage in chat with others in a relaxed manner. They will not be stuck up, uptight, cliquish, closed or standoffish, like the young Taiwanese generation is. There are many foreign countries where young people are truly open and engaging - such as Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe, Latin America, Southeast Asia, etc. but Taiwan, Japan and America are not among them. In contrast, the Taiwanese generation of the 1940's and 1950's seem far more "open" socially and conversation-wise, than today's young generation is. There is simply no comparison.

In reality, the young generation today are more selfish, narcissistic, and spoiled than ever before. They have a high sense of entitlement, lower morals and values, and more new gadgets to play with. That everyone agrees on, including the young generation itself, because it is so self-evident. But more socially open? No frickin way! That is a 100 percent LIE!

Not surprisingly, every honest down-to-earth Taiwanese person I've talked to has agreed that their young people, especially girls, are very shy, closed, and not open with strangers. This obvious trait is simply part of Taiwanese culture, and is common knowledge in Taiwan (despite the myth, ironically). Taiwanese girls are the most extreme example. Everywhere they go, they carry this "don't bother me look" on their faces, which makes them unapproachable. And their body language is cold, stuck up and cliquish. Alongside Japan and Korea, Taiwan girls are among the least open and engaging of females in the 200+ countries of the world. The only strangers they might give any special attention to are either Asian pop stars, or foreign white guys (regardless of their looks). Even in retail sales and customer service occupations, Taiwanese girls are cold and business-like, devoid of warmth. I don't know how they got that way, but their cold demeanor seems very inhuman.

The only people that deny this obvious fact are the politically correct liberal crowd, who consider negative observations about people in a particular culture to be anathema (using the "you are stereotyping and generalizing" copout), no matter how true or obvious. These folks do not like truthful talk, and do not like to tell it like it is, but prefer politically correctness statements instead, such as "everyone is so friendly and open, everything is wonderful, and life is beautiful". Such delusional denialists are all too common among today's young generation, not only in Taiwan, but throughout the Western world as well.

So what do these mythsters mean by "open"? Perhaps they mean open-minded? If so, in what way? Well, let's see. I guess the young generation are more open-minded about alternative lifestyles such as being "openly" gay, wearing tattoos, having casual sex at a younger age, choosing to remain single rather than starting a family, etc. Uh, is that all? So what? Big frickin deal. Anyone can be open-minded about those things if they choose to be. That doesn't make them more "open". Sheesh. It just makes them more liberal and perverted (or "openly" perverted rather). But socially speaking, they are still closed, cliquish, exclusive and do not freely talk to strangers (unlike their elderly). Becoming liberal or perverted has NOT changed that at all.

In America, there is a similar dichotomy. If you go to Denny's or a mom and pop Diner in the morning, you will see a lot of elderly people having breakfast. These folks will freely engage in conversation with strangers and will even talk your ear off. They have a lot of interesting things to share too. You can find such folks in public parks too.

But if you go to where young people hang out, such as a dance club, rock concert, amusement park, mall, party, college campus, etc. you will see how totally cliquish, exclusive and stuck up they are. They are uncomfortable with strangers and ignore them totally. They think they are "too cool" or too shy to talk to someone they don't know.

Now how is that being "open"? Sheesh. This lie is so frickin ridiculous. Just because the young generation is more "open" about perverse lifestyles - such as being "openly" gay, having tattoos, being sexually active at a younger age, etc. does not make them more "open", especially not socially open. Sheesh. Perversion and liberalism does not equal openness. My God. How stupid can people get?! Socially, they are still the same - closed, cliquish, and exclusive.

Rather than being socially open or inclusive, the young generation are self-aborbed, artificial, fake, spoiled, snobby, cliquish, and do not develop authentic personalities, but superficial ones. Being honest, down-to-earth, and telling it like it is, are alien traits to this generation.

"Open" is totally the WRONG word to describe today's young generation in Taiwan, or even in America. "Perverted, liberal and rebellious" maybe yes, but "open"? No frickin way! Whoever came up with that is a total frickin idiot and a bald faced liar. I swear.

So, as usual, reality is in direct contradiction to the fictitious myths people spread, such as the claim that the "young generation is more open". Such myths are lies, since the truth of everyday reality and experience points to the opposite.
Last edited by Winston on Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Winston » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:25 pm

To Rock: Do you deny that the elderly in Taiwan are much more open to FREELY engaging strangers in conversation than young adults and women are? I've made this point many times before but you never denied or agreed with it. But this is something I can demonstrate repeatedly over and over again with consistency to anyone with me. If you admit that this is true, then what do you think are the reasons for this?

To Everyone: Why do you think elderly are more friendly and talkative than young adults are in first world countries?
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Rock » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:48 pm

Winston wrote:To Rock: Do you deny that the elderly in Taiwan are much more open to FREELY engaging strangers in conversation than young adults and women are? I've made this point many times before but you never denied or agreed with it. But this is something I can demonstrate repeatedly over and over again with consistency to anyone with me. If you admit that this is true, then what do you think are the reasons for this?

To Everyone: Why do you think elderly are more friendly and talkative than young adults are in first world countries?

Elderly folks in Taiwan tend to be free from all responsibility and society gives them low social value. They're kids are grown and busy with their own lives. They're retired so don't have any job duties to worry about. Many are bored and lonely. Ever walk into a local stock brokerage branch? They tend to be full of late middle aged and elderly people who just have too much time on their hands and not enough to do. So these people trade stocks, often more for entertainment and stimulation more than anything else. Also, the elderly are wiser to life and are often more aware that society and many of the rules are just BS.

When you're lonely, wise, and relatively un-needed / unwanted, you may crave company and conversation with others, even from strangers.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Rock » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:02 pm

Winston wrote:

The Myth and Lie of the Taiwanese Young Generation Being More Open
By Winston Wu (Founder of HappierAbroad.com)

“The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.â€￾ - Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor

I don't understand something. Why do people say that the young generation in Taiwan is more "open" than previous generations?! No frickin way! Who the hell started this myth and lie?

The reality of everyday experience is the opposite. In Taiwan, the only people that freely engage strangers in conversation are the elderly folks and foreigners. They are the only ones that freely talk to me anywhere I go in Taiwan. Young Taiwanese adults (especially women) definitely DO NOT freely engage strangers in conversation. HELL NO! Instead, they are cliquish, stuck up, snobby, and uncomfortable making eye contact or conversation with strangers. Their body language and vibe is NOT relaxed or open toward strangers at all. You see, in their minds, they are either "too cool" or too shy to talk to someone they don't know. Now that is definitely NOT a characteristic of being "open". No way jose. Not at all.

In fact, this closed cliquish exterior behavior makes the Taiwanese more like the Japanese rather than the mainland Chinese, despite their ethnic roots.

People who are truly "open" will freely engage in chat with others in a relaxed manner. They will not be stuck up, uptight, cliquish, closed or standoffish, like the young Taiwanese generation is. There are many foreign countries where young people are truly open and engaging - such as Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe, Latin America, Southeast Asia, etc. but Taiwan, Japan and America are not among them. In contrast, the Taiwanese generation of the 1940's and 1950's seem far more "open" socially and conversation-wise, than today's young generation is. There is simply no comparison.

In reality, the young generation today are more selfish, narcissistic, and spoiled than ever before. They have a high sense of entitlement, lower morals and values, and more new gadgets to play with. That everyone agrees on, including the young generation itself, because it is so self-evident. But more socially open? No frickin way! That is a 100 percent LIE!

Not surprisingly, every honest down-to-earth Taiwanese person I've talked to has agreed that their young people, especially girls, are very shy, closed, and not open with strangers. This obvious trait is simply part of Taiwanese culture, and is common knowledge in Taiwan (despite the myth, ironically). Taiwanese girls are the most extreme example. Everywhere they go, they carry this "don't bother me look" on their faces, which makes them unapproachable. And their body language is cold, stuck up and cliquish. Alongside Japan and Korea, Taiwan girls are among the least open and engaging of females in the 200+ countries of the world. The only strangers they might give any special attention to are either Asian pop stars, or foreign white guys (regardless of their looks). Even in retail sales and customer service occupations, Taiwanese girls are cold and business-like, devoid of warmth. I don't know how they got that way, but their cold demeanor seems very inhuman.

The only people that deny this obvious fact are the politically correct liberal crowd, who consider negative observations about people in a particular culture to be anathema (using the "you are stereotyping and generalizing" copout), no matter how true or obvious. These folks do not like truthful talk, and do not like to tell it like it is, but prefer politically correctness statements instead, such as "everyone is so friendly and open, everything is wonderful, and life is beautiful". Such delusional denialists are all too common among today's young generation, not only in Taiwan, but throughout the Western world as well.

So what do these mythsters mean by "open"? Perhaps they mean open-minded? If so, in what way? Well, let's see. I guess the young generation are more open-minded about alternative lifestyles such as being "openly" gay, wearing tattoos, having casual sex at a younger age, choosing to remain single rather than starting a family, etc. Uh, is that all? So what? Big frickin deal. Anyone can be open-minded about those things if they choose to be. That doesn't make them more "open". Sheesh. It just makes them more liberal and perverted (or "openly" perverted rather). But socially speaking, they are still closed, cliquish, exclusive and do not freely talk to strangers (unlike their elderly). Becoming liberal or perverted has NOT changed that at all.

In America, there is a similar dichotomy. If you go to Denny's or a mom and pop Diner in the morning, you will see a lot of elderly people having breakfast. These folks will freely engage in conversation with strangers and will even talk your ear off. They have a lot of interesting things to share too. You can find such folks in public parks too.

But if you go to where young people hang out, such as a dance club, rock concert, amusement park, mall, party, college campus, etc. you will see how totally cliquish, exclusive and stuck up they are. They are uncomfortable with strangers and ignore them totally. They think they are "too cool" or too shy to talk to someone they don't know.

Now how is that being "open"? Sheesh. This lie is so frickin ridiculous. Just because the young generation is more "open" about perverse lifestyles - such as being "openly" gay, having tattoos, being sexually active at a younger age, etc. does not make them more "open", especially not socially open. Sheesh. Perversion and liberalism does not equal openness. My God. How stupid can people get?! Socially, they are still the same - closed, cliquish, and exclusive.

Rather than being socially open or inclusive, the young generation are self-aborbed, artificial, fake, spoiled, snobby, cliquish, and do not develop authentic personalities, but superficial ones. Being honest, down-to-earth, and telling it like it is, are alien traits to this generation.

"Open" is totally the WRONG word to describe today's young generation in Taiwan, or even in America. "Perverted, liberal and rebellious" maybe yes, but "open"? No frickin way! Whoever came up with that is a total frickin idiot and a bald faced liar. I swear.

So, as usual, reality is in direct contradiction to the fictitious myths people spread, such as the claim that the "young generation is more open". Such myths are lies, since the truth of everyday reality and experience points to the opposite.

1. In spite of all this, we still managed to meet and hang-out with a lot of random strangers when we met in Taiwan last.

2. What you say about young people in Taiwan today is a global trend affecting youth in much of the world. A lot of the young girls who hit the Taipei clubs nowadays are just like guys - they pick random partners up, have sex with them, and intentionally never contact them again. Its very cold. My French tenant was actually discouraged when he attempted to build a relationship with a couple of the girls who he had picked-up. Several of his pick-ups wanted b***y call relationships with him and others just cut him off completely. I'm convinced Taiwan still has plenty of more marriage minded traditional types. But the clubs are probably not very good places to find them.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: The Myth of the Taiwanese Young Generation Being More Op

Postby DCX_10 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:20 pm

deleted
Last edited by DCX_10 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DCX_10
Freshman Poster

Postby momopi » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:49 am

If girls in TW were easy to get, then Taiwanese men wouldn't have had to import 400,000 foreign brides.

Like the US, many girls that you might date in TW are not good marriage material. However, unlike the US, where I might date 3-4 girls in a year, in TW I could date 3-4 girls in a month back in my late 20s to mid 30s.

Easy? No. If you expect "point and click" like the PH, you're in the wrong country.
Last edited by momopi on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Repatriate » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:55 am

momopi wrote:If girls in TW were easy to get, then Taiwanese men wouldn't have had to import 400,000 foreign brides.

The interesting thing about this phenomenon is that TW actually has a pretty close ratio of Men to Women. Importing brides created a surplus of unmarried women. The men who import brides are overwhelmingly "lower" class blue collar men. I bet there are a lot more educated TW women with higher expectations that local uneducated unsophisticated blue collar men can't match.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Postby momopi » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:19 am

Repatriate wrote:
momopi wrote:If girls in TW were easy to get, then Taiwanese men wouldn't have had to import 400,000 foreign brides.

The interesting thing about this phenomenon is that TW actually has a pretty close ratio of Men to Women. Importing brides created a surplus of unmarried women. The men who import brides are overwhelmingly "lower" class blue collar men. I bet there are a lot more educated TW women with higher expectations that local uneducated unsophisticated blue collar men can't match.

I'd also add that a great number of Taiwanese men left the island to live/work in China.

Sometimes unmarried girls are in the "surplus" category for a good reason. I've dated a couple mental basket cases in TW. One girl thought that she had the power to "cure" bad men by having sex with them and draw out their "bad essence" through her vagina and purify them. I followed #36 in the Thirty-Six Stratagems and put about 10,000 km distance between me and the fruit basket.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Repatriate » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:07 pm

momopi wrote:
I'd also add that a great number of Taiwanese men left the island to live/work in China.

I didn't know the middle class did this. I thought it was mostly only the wealthy TW investors who went to China to set up shop.

Sometimes unmarried girls are in the "surplus" category for a good reason. I've dated a couple mental basket cases in TW. One girl thought that she had the power to "cure" bad men by having sex with them and draw out their "bad essence" through her vagina and purify them. I followed #36 in the Thirty-Six Stratagems and put about 10,000 km distance between me and the fruit basket.

Yeah, there's always a percentage that's like this anywhere you go. Although I don't think I would mind being with a crazy girl who thought her p***y had magical powers as long as she was monogamous during that period she's with me. I suppose in the end your exit strategy was probably wise to avoid further crazy or longer term commitments. :lol:
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Postby momopi » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:01 pm

Repatriate wrote:I didn't know the middle class did this. I thought it was mostly only the wealthy TW investors who went to China to set up shop.

About 5% of Taiwan's population (ROC Citizens) is estimated to live/work in China. There are an estimated 300,000 - 600,000 Taiwanese living in the greater Shanghai area (my uncle used to live/work there). Many Tawanese owned businesses in China hire fellow Taiwanese as managers and supervisors. I've been told that back in 1990s, it was the golden era for Taiwanese men in Shanghai area in terms of dating local girls. But due to rising standards of living and the large numbers of Taiwanese men that have moved into the area, it's no longer as easy.

One thing to consider is that, in a normal society, marriage removes men from the dating pool, leaving better opportunities for the reamining single men. But most of the Taiwanese who go to China are men, and regardless of their martial status back in Taiwan, many of them get local GF's anyway. The situation is so common in Shenzhen with HK men that Guangdong's public schools actually have mandatory classes for girls on how not to become a concubine/mistress.

Yeah, there's always a percentage that's like this anywhere you go. Although I don't think I would mind being with a crazy girl who thought her p***y had magical powers as long as she was monogamous during that period she's with me. I suppose in the end your exit strategy was probably wise to avoid further crazy or longer term commitments. :lol:

IMO for East Asian girls, the Japanese have the highest % of weirdos, followed by the Chinese/Taiwanese, then the Koreans. It's odd because if you watch a lot of Korean movies, you'd think that there are more mentally unstable Korean girls. But in personal experience, I find Korean girls to be the most stuck-up in East Asia, but less likely to be a fruit basket.

I've dated one girl who thought that she had telepathic powers to communicate with farm animals. Sometimes, when "helpful friends and relatives" offer to hook you up with someone, they're trying to get rid of, or export fruit baskets. From their perspective, as soon as they help marry the girl off, they can wash their hands and say "good luck".
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby DCX_10 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:20 pm

Deleted
Last edited by DCX_10 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DCX_10
Freshman Poster

Postby momopi » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:32 pm

DCX_10 wrote:I heard it is around 3 million, out of a population of 23 million.
Last time I visited a factory ran by Taiwanese (a few year ago), they are still doing that (the sexual conquest thing). They can't do it in cities like Shanghai anymore, but factories moved to nearby underdeveloped regions, so they are still doing that.
The TW guy would hire a mainland girl, do her for six month, then fire her and hire a new girl. This is the common practice. Those bastards!!

I'm not inclined to believe in the 3 million figure, because Taiwanese make about 5 million cross-strait trips every year. If there were 3 million Taiwanese living in China, then the # of annual cross-strait trips should be higher. An estimate of somewhere between 1 to 2 million would probably be more realistic.

If married HK & Taiwanese businessmen only went to China to play hard and went home afterwards, that would've left less problems (and fewer concubine villages). But many end up having 2nd families with illegitimate children. A well paid company manager/executive in China in 1990s-2000's can have high sexual market value similar to American managers/executives in the 1960s (the "PAN AM" and "I Dream of Jeannie" era). However this has gotten prevalent and is causing backlashes from society.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby DCX_10 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:34 am

deleted
Last edited by DCX_10 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DCX_10
Freshman Poster

Postby DCX_10 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:35 am

Deleted
Last edited by DCX_10 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DCX_10
Freshman Poster

Postby momopi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:52 am

DCX_10 wrote:The real backlash is STDs. In fact, I am puzzled that the men on this forum do not seem to be concerned with STDs. That is ignorance. You know even condoms do not prevent all STDs.

If you P4P, always use protection and get checked every 6 months. If you do catch something, the earlier that you detect it, the easier it is to treat it.

If you don't want to take the risk, then either abstain or seek monogamy of some form.

For STD related questions:
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/STDs/show/116

You might be surprised at the doctor's response in this thread:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/need- ... ow/1646275
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand