Republic of the Philippines Not as it Seems

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

Can somebody tell me more about filipinas over 30, do they all get chubby and unatractive due to poor genetics, diet, sun, lack of excercize...?

and How they compare against american cougars and milfs?
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

pete98146 wrote: Quick question to you forum members. How many of you guys are in a position to meet and marry a pretty, educated, smart and sweet filipina? Unfortunately I'd venture to say less than 10% of you are in the market for a wife. The rest of you are made up of the following:

1. P4P hounds
2. Not financially stable
3. Too young
4. Have sworn off all women
5. Too emotionally damaged, immature or selfish for a relationship
6. Not into Asian women

I've walked enough guys thru the process of meeting a QUALITY filipina. Really it's not that difficult if you know what you are doing. So I will challenge you guys who ARE looking. Send me a PM and I'll bet we can find an amazing filipina wife within a year.

Sadly this is a forum full of doubters. If you are not one of the 1-6 above send me a PM! I love to help. But I won't hold my breath....bet I don't get one single PM...lol.
About a year and a half ago I PMed Pete, curious about his experiences. He mentored me and I value his knowledge, patience and friendship. Most of us men are pretty competitive. We may not admit it, but we don't necessarily want the other guy to have success. Pete isn't like this. He has his wonderful wife and has helped other guys find the same. He genuinely wanted to help me succeed. Fortunately we don't live too far apart and I have met Pete and his wife a couple times. Once I saw who he had and how she felt about him, I was even more motivated.

This certainly doesn't mean that Pinays are for everyone; they aren't. I'm just saying that Pete will help if he can and if you're willing.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

. It does not help foreigners keep hitting on the ugliest girls and end up marrying them. This is the image of foreigners to the locals. The only way out really is to be working for a multinational and be an economic success and be part of your own community (ie: european, indian) AND THEN create a slow transition towards locals.

Also be mindful of who you marry! There are girls who become ego-filled when they marry foreigners and this becomes social poison for her entire clan. It aint easy to navigate this society, but keep trying and you'll crack it wide open. I've seen foreigners who get our respect, and local respect, but they have earned it. The Philippines is theirs!!
I guess this will turn into another anecdotal argument but I will just say that as far as my experience goes in Asia, compared to your neighbors, you are much more open and friendlier and you are also much more open and friendlier than most Euro or Anglo countries. When you say it's a closed society, I would like to ask you - closed as compared to what other society?

Of course these people are foreign to them because they are- they look different, they don't speak the local language and they do not follow the local customs and they are not citizens, either. So, how do you expect the Filipinos to treat them? As another Filipino? Of course not.

And the subject of the language is a sore subject here but I will give one comparison- how well would you do in the USA if you did not speak English? Probably not well. Would you be accepted as one of the locals? I don't think so. How well would you do in Mexico if you did not speak Spanish and did not try to integrate? People would like your money and some would make friends with you but you would remain an outsider. I have found speaking Tagalog to people removed at least half the barriers. People have even asked me " are you a Filipino ?( and I don't look anything but)".
Most foreigners who live in the Philippines ( as in 99%) do not study anything about local culture and do not speak the local language (and they still get treated well). To me, this is outrageous. Here in the USA, people take a very dim view of those who come in, do not speak English and do not try to integrate. People tell them "Get the f**k out! Go home, This is America here, F**k you!" etc.

When you come into a place, even in the same country but it is a new city ( happened to me so many times), you need to make an effort to make inroads into the local society, learn the local language ( or dialect) and try and do things the local way. Foreigners who live in the Philippines do not do it as a rule. I have met only 2 ( over 17 years) who have spoken Tagalog or Visaya and only one who did so fluently. Most of them also think low of Filipinos and treat them as inferior.
Philippines is a closed society, it really is. I guess decades of foreign influences had made social units hostile to anything foreign
Hostile as compared to what other country? You are angels compared to your neighbors- the VNese, the Thais, the Indonesians, etc. And 10% of your population lives abroad with everyone having someone living in Australia, Canada and every extended family has someone married to some foreigner. Many educated Filipinas of all ages have bf's husbands from all these different countries ( as compared to your neighbors- Thais, VNese, Malaysians who rarely do) So, I don't know about hostility here- at least it is very light as compared to so many other places.

When these Brazilian actor guys came to the Philippines, they all found girlfriends and there was a big TV reportage about how this Filipina actress went with her boyfriend to Brazil and they were talking about it with pride. You would not see this in Thailand, VN, etc. Their actresses do not have foreign BFs. It is a shame.

For example, in Ukraine ( where I was born) you can be living there for several generations but if you are not related to people through bloodlines and you belong to another ethnic stock and you are still foreign to them and people can make your life impossible in some areas of the country and try and make you move out. In parts of the US and Canada, even white Anglo people who were born there are not socially accepted because they have not been in a certain city for 3 generations.

So, hostility is everywhere, but the level of it in the Philippines, as compared to so many other places I know is very low. Plus, because the country is not one nation - as say, Germany or Korea or Japan, but a huge salad bowl of different regional ethnicities and languages, it has no strong nationalist movement. This is another plus.

On a different topic here: not everyone has the goal of " integrating into the Philippine society and social units" because it takes effort and being accepted by them is not on everyone's priority list. The Philippine culture is not as popular around the world as say, American or French or Japanese culture. Plus as foreigners have a reputation about being mongers, you also need to accept some responsibility for that.

Is there a good place in the Philippines to go when a foreigner arrives there? Are there good museums and art galleries? Are there shows of local dance and music as say in Bali? And again, why don't authorities close down Burgos Street and Fields Avenue and EDSA entertainment center? I mean they have the power to do it. Just don't renew the licences of those businesses and there will be no more mongering. Granted, these were built to accommodate American servicemen. Fine, but they are gone now. Why not close everything and open up a street of local culture, dances and art galleries? Look for example at this attraction in Bali: when foreigners come to Indonesia, people take them to see this:

Here are some happy foreigners

How come you do not have this outside of once a year festivals?

People have other goals such as money, business, some just want booze and sex. Plus the Philippines has a high level of corruption socially speaking and you will encounter a lot of dishonest people. An anecdotal experience again is- my Japanese friend- a lady who lives in Manila- met educated Filipinos and they borrowed money from her and never paid back- typical. And this is what happens there all the time- eventually people will ask you for money, you loan it and then you never see it. And that ends your friendship.

Also, it is very rare that you talk to educated Filipinos and that they know anything interesting to talk about. It's not like talking to say educated French or German people or even Japanese who know world culture and politics and literature and history. Filipinos are generally like Americans- they just know their field- like engineering or medicine and very little outside of it except American culture ( from TV). So you sit and you want to have some conversation about Asian politics or the situation in S. Africa and they just generally don't know anything.

And not everyone wants to be part of the bourgeousie class because it's very restrictive and you can't do anything without people watching you.

My personal experience with the Philippines is that I never saw so much warmth towards me anywhere else even if there was some hostility. But I must admit that in my experience, the Philippines is the opposite of Russia- another country where I spent time. In Russia, the lower classes are hostile and prejudiced ( again not all but many) but the higher educated ones are open minded and very friendly to foreigners. In the Philippines, the degree of acceptance goes up as you move down the social level, not up. An educated Filipino is usually a snob whereas an educated Russian is not. Interesting indeed.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
mct
Freshman Poster

Post by mct »

Banano wrote:Can somebody tell me more about filipinas over 30, do they all get chubby and unatractive due to poor genetics, diet, sun, lack of excercize...?

Hello. Been lurking on this site since late last year... was interested in a particular foreigner so I have decided to read up on how foreign males view Filipinas..... I find the comments here very refreshing and they give me a different perspective.

I'm at this age bracket and look young - could pass for a college student, although I have a few "freckles" on the left side of my face that appeared a couple of years ago (i.e.age spots). I live in a neighborhood that is populated by students, including exchange students from all over Asia and Europe so I tend to get mistaken for one. The people I know tend to be rather slim (size 0, 2 4 or 6, rarely an 8 in US size petite) in their 30s and 40s. I guess because of maintenance and genetics. The sun, generally, does not make us "ugly".

How do we compare against American Cougars and MILFs? Less wrinkles, definitely. That counts a lot, in my humble opinion. However, I think it also depends on the state of one's life. I've seen (horrible) photos of Filipinas, who are reported as teenagers, and pregnant --- and they look like they're in their 40s or even 50s. Hard life = "hard" look.
Last edited by mct on March 15th, 2013, 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
=======================
Kindness is the elixir of love.
mct
Freshman Poster

Post by mct »

celery2010 wrote:
My main comment is that Malate/Ermita is one of the tourist ghettos of the world that piss people off.

Malate/Ermita is a dump. There are active groups of "child pickpocketers", and the local bars are all rip off clip joints set up for tourists. Its really ugly and there are few of the friendly little convenience stores and cheap little restaurants as in the rest of the PI. In other words, it sounds just like Tijuana.

I think that this is where the disconnect is.

Yet these these are still true:
1. Costs are relatively higher.
2. The food sucks, even at the "better" restaurants.
3. Attractive women, although they exist, you have to dig more than you should to find them.

However to counter Ph visitors' comments:

1. In manila, the best places to visit are Ortigas, 2 other places whose names escape me at the moment, Cubao and Quezon City, IMHO. These are more middle/upper middle class areas. The Fort in Bonifacio and Greenbelt are positively sparkling. Even nicer than being in someplace like Dallas or Miami.

Although the country in general is not THAT nice, the wealthy live very well, and standards for them are high.

2. In most miserably poor, overpopulated countries, the huge capital is NOT a great place, due to overcrowding and bad conditions. Lagos, Nigeria, Jakarta, Quito, Ecuador etc are good examples. Even Bangkok 20 years ago was a real hole. There was no subway system and the traffic was horrendous.

3. In the Robinson Mall in Malate, there is a grill place in the main supermarket that will grill a massive amount of veggies with some meat for about 100 pesos or so. The other restaurants are overpriced, only the food court offers decent options. You best bet in the PI is fish with vegetables or fruit. They usually do not deep fry the fish, and as an island nation, the fish is good.
I lived in the Malate area, at the back of Catholic girls' school, as a very young girl in the late 1970s. It wasn't seedy then. I agree that it is very run-down and rather scary now. And I have lived here in Manila all my life. My family moved to be close to my elementary/primary school and I have since moved into another neighborhood several years ago.

I work at Ortigas Center, it is indeed rather nice. Very clean, everything you want (as far as leisure, dining and shopping, etc.) is easy to access. Another nice area is the Alabang Town Center, although I rarely go there since I live in the northern side of the capital.

The wealthy - and I mean those that are wealthy even by Western standards - indeed live very well. Most of them are not snobs either. In my experience, the wannabe's and newly rich (or those who think they're rich but are not) are the ones that are snobs. Most of seriously wealthy - especially the old rich are nice - spoiled maybe, but nice and generous so both kind of offset the "spoiled" attitude.

Agree - fish and other seafood are a good option for those who don't like Filipino food.

Attractive, educated, upper middle class and "elite" women can be found --- try going to the nicer malls and gated communities (called "villages" or "subdivisions" here) or commercial areas near such gated communities. The Salcedo and Legazpi Markets in Makati every weekend are also good spots, if not to meet them then at least get to know how they are. And if you have friends/acquaintances who have access to them - the country clubs or golf clubs. They (club members) will generally agree to have you as a guest - and as long as one follows the club rules. Also events like museums exhibitions or the opening of a new restaurant or bar. Believe me, one won't feel "leeched" as such women generally have a good income or is living off their inheritance or both -- and thus independent. Some have lost or have diminished family fortunes or their family is simply too large to be able to support everyone (and I mean the whole clan) grandly - not to mention the usual familial wars on inheritance - but they are not, in essence, gold diggers. Their connections, education, and pedigree can still guarantee them a respectable and good life. They also think that decent men (referring to Filipinos) are either: 1) married; or 2) gay. Many would be receptive to at least a conversation. And that's a start. And better if you can find some connection, i.e. friend of a friend or even an acquaintance. The only real drawback I can think of is this: such girls are used to having help. So if one is looking for someone to cater to them, then those girls are definitely not good prospects. Most would not know how to clean and/or cook or do the laundry. Some like to cook but in general, such girls do not perform housework.

I eat food described like the one in Robinsons Malate at times. It is value for money. Mostly I don't mind spending (which I spend mostly on other people), but there are times when one has to be practical.
=======================
Kindness is the elixir of love.
Hapenstance
Freshman Poster

Post by Hapenstance »

Generally speaking, the filipino culture is F*K up. You will pull your hair out trying to figure them out. Not all, but the majority of their friendliness or approachability is fake or temporary at most. If you do get "in" w/ any of them, expect to assume financial "sponsorship" of all their beer, food etc.. needs.. To assume your reasonability - always see them as being like "children" and/or confused teenagers. This will help you make sense of their child like, contradictory, irrational, and weird behavior(s).
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

Hapenstance wrote:Generally speaking, the filipino culture is F*K up. You will pull your hair out trying to figure them out. Not all, but the majority of their friendliness or approachability is fake or temporary at most. If you do get "in" w/ any of them, expect to assume financial "sponsorship" of all their beer, food etc.. needs.. To assume your reasonability - always see them as being like "children" and/or confused teenagers. This will help you make sense of their child like, contradictory, irrational, and weird behavior(s).
Been living in Thailand for the past 17 years, married to a Thai for 12 of those years, and have been all over Asia. Most of my time in the PI was spent in Manila, AC Balibago, and Cebu. Honestly, Filipinas are good for a roll in the hay and that's about it. They can be cute, few are truly beautiful like Thai or Vietnamese, and nearly all are full of sh*t. They're clingy, a pain in the ass, and I find their sense of humor less than humorous.

They say what you want to hear, not necessarily what is the truth. They constantly complain about having "no budget" as if I am the only one capable of solving this problem.

If there's one thing I can't stand is a woman completely incapable of taking care of herself without the support of a man, namely me.

A friend of mine lives in the PI and has been married to a Filipina for the past 15 years or so. Compared to how many Asian women treat their western men, he's henpecked. She always wants to know where he is, what he's doing, and he's almost scared to make her angry. I laugh but I'm certainly glad I'm not in his position.

I'll sleep with the Filos but that's it. Never, ever would I get serious with one. I learned my lesson the hard way — twice — and there won't be a third time.
Christianfilipinacom
Freshman Poster

Post by Christianfilipinacom »

anamericaninbangkok wrote:
Hapenstance wrote:Generally speaking, the filipino culture is F*K up. You will pull your hair out trying to figure them out. Not all, but the majority of their friendliness or approachability is fake or temporary at most. If you do get "in" w/ any of them, expect to assume financial "sponsorship" of all their beer, food etc.. needs.. To assume your reasonability - always see them as being like "children" and/or confused teenagers. This will help you make sense of their child like, contradictory, irrational, and weird behavior(s).
Been living in Thailand for the past 17 years, married to a Thai for 12 of those years, and have been all over Asia. Most of my time in the PI was spent in Manila, AC Balibago, and Cebu. Honestly, Filipinas are good for a roll in the hay and that's about it. They can be cute, few are truly beautiful like Thai or Vietnamese, and nearly all are full of sh*t. They're clingy, a pain in the a**, and I find their sense of humor less than humorous.

They say what you want to hear, not necessarily what is the truth. They constantly complain about having "no budget" as if I am the only one capable of solving this problem.

If there's one thing I can't stand is a woman completely incapable of taking care of herself without the support of a man, namely me.

A friend of mine lives in the PI and has been married to a Filipina for the past 15 years or so. Compared to how many Asian women treat their western men, he's henpecked. She always wants to know where he is, what he's doing, and he's almost scared to make her angry. I laugh but I'm certainly glad I'm not in his position.

I'll sleep with the Filos but that's it. Never, ever would I get serious with one. I learned my lesson the hard way — twice — and there won't be a third time.
I can see where it would be frustrating to be with someone who doesn't pull their weight. This hasn't been our experience - right now my (Filipina) wife earns much more from her hard work at our farm & selling our produce, than I do from our internet business. Typically Filipinas are considered hard working, whereas Filipinos are thought to be less hard-working. However, we certainly met many ladies in the Philippines just like anywhere who spent far too much time in front of the TV. Whether you pick a Filipina, Thai, or whatever, watch her carefully to learn what her values are.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

Thai men are probably viewed the same way as Filipino men, many want to do as little as possible and have little motivation. I hate to lump people together into one category but...in my experience the women were so quick to want to get serious it was a turn-off. If they are like that with me, they're like that with someone else. In other words, it's not me they're in love with, it's the foreigner or the thought of being married and simply having a husband they're in love with. It is definitely frustrating to be with someone who has no life or career of their own.
filousophe
Freshman Poster

Post by filousophe »

agree with mct's comments.

just to add, i think that more and more filipinas over 30 years old are becoming more conscious about how they look. i feel that this has been a trend recently--with the advent of gyms and "healthy living" principles, i would say that filipina MILFs are better than their american counterparts in terms of skin and overall appearance :)
mct wrote:
Banano wrote:Can somebody tell me more about filipinas over 30, do they all get chubby and unatractive due to poor genetics, diet, sun, lack of excercize...?

Hello. Been lurking on this site since late last year... was interested in a particular foreigner so I have decided to read up on how foreign males view Filipinas..... I find the comments here very refreshing and they give me a different perspective.

I'm at this age bracket and look young - could pass for a college student, although I have a few "freckles" on the left side of my face that appeared a couple of years ago (i.e.age spots). I live in a neighborhood that is populated by students, including exchange students from all over Asia and Europe so I tend to get mistaken for one. The people I know tend to be rather slim (size 0, 2 4 or 6, rarely an 8 in US size petite) in their 30s and 40s. I guess because of maintenance and genetics. The sun, generally, does not make us "ugly".

How do we compare against American Cougars and MILFs? Less wrinkles, definitely. That counts a lot, in my humble opinion. However, I think it also depends on the state of one's life. I've seen (horrible) photos of Filipinas, who are reported as teenagers, and pregnant --- and they look like they're in their 40s or even 50s. Hard life = "hard" look.
clowny
Freshman Poster

Post by clowny »

I know the phillipines is a genital cutting culture, where all boys get circumcised as a rite of passage to manhood. So my question is, do filipina women think it's disgusting or weird if a foreigner is intact (not circumcised)?
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

There are places/restaurants part of Manila where if you are white over 40 with a Filipina, then you are seated in the back of the lounge as not to lower the perceived value of the place.

I can tell, believe it or not, if a girl is of lower value with a white male or if she is high value with white male. I just need one glance and derive from her demeanor who she is.

I'm saying Filipino culture is really close, because it is. From outside looking in you may think it's all great and you're treated like everyone else, but you really aren't.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

clowny wrote:I know the phillipines is a genital cutting culture, where all boys get circumcised as a rite of passage to manhood. So my question is, do filipina women think it's disgusting or weird if a foreigner is intact (not circumcised)?
It's fine.

Just don't let the men find out. Once we find out you are "supot' uncircumsized, we will rain fire of insults on you -- and it will never stop!! This is part of our cultural training. Supot basically means you're a fag, or less than a man.

SUPOT MOTHERF*CKER HAHAHA!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
filousophe
Freshman Poster

Post by filousophe »

clowny wrote:I know the phillipines is a genital cutting culture, where all boys get circumcised as a rite of passage to manhood. So my question is, do filipina women think it's disgusting or weird if a foreigner is intact (not circumcised)?
short answer is yes. you'll definitely be a topic of conversation. overheard this a lot of times.

this even was a topic of conversation in the filipino adoptation of the Big Brother reality TV show, when a half-filipino, half-caucasian teenager admitted that he's not yet circumcised. the TV host understood his situation but in the end inclined towards recommending circumcision to be a "true" man.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

[quote="filousophe"]agree with mct's comments.

just to add, i think that more and more filipinas over 30 years old are becoming more conscious about how they look. i feel that this has been a trend recently--with the advent of gyms and "healthy living" principles, i would say that filipina MILFs are better than their american counterparts in terms of skin and overall appearance :)

I never saw hot PH MILF, they have very short shelf life even when live in Western country.

IMO cut off age is 27, max, should neve get involved with anything older than 27 even if you are 55 yo man
It is usually due to poor diet, sun, bad genes, pollution, bad air quality in big cities