Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

B.S. Your Filipina Is Feeding You

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

B.S. Your Filipina Is Feeding You

Postby Taco » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:47 pm

I've had several offers from Asian women I've met online to move to their respective countries and marry them, one of them was wealthy. Lately, this subject has come up again with a Filipina I have known for a long time, she lives in a new house with air conditioning and is heir to several hectares of farmland. She tries to assure me that we can make a living with her small business but I'm not really buying into it. The fundamental problem with all third world countries is its almost impossible to generate any income living there unless your able and willing to do the following.

1. Have a business that caters to foreign expats, hotels, tours, snorkeling, deep sea fishing etc...
2. Have an online business that generates income, websites, trading, poker etc...
3. If you happen to own a rooster that can fight like Manny Pacquiao you might be able to make some money in the Philippines.
http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+ ... ords=cocks

In addition, I just found this article posted on a blog which just confirms my financial concerns of moving to the Philippines.

You’re Moving to the Philippines and Expect to Find a Job? What Are You Smoking?
http://www.philippinesplus.com/youre-mo ... u-smoking/

I just wanted to get everyones input on this subject, thanks.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby davewe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:36 pm

I had already read that blog posting, since his blog is one of my favorites on the Philippines. Totally agree with the writer (Dave) and with you. Without a steady existing or fixed income you cannot expect to make money in PI. Now maybe you can make a bit extra in addition to your existing income but you can't expect to show up in the Philippines and get a job or start a business.

I'm not saying it's impossible and I know a couple of online friends who do it but rarely as their primary income. And several hectares of farmland ain't that much and do you really want to be a farmer?

This is why the philippines and other 3rd world countries can be ideal for guys like me closing in on their retirement. If you have 2 or 3k/month in fixed income you can do very well! But a younger guy trying to build a business there. You'd have a better chance of getting rich here and retiring early.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Postby xiongmao » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:23 pm

Yeah, that's great blog. It's the same with guys looking for Chinese brides - they think they can turn up in a country of 1.3 billion people and expect to walk into a job!

One possibility for younger white collar guys is to spend a year or two working in Hong Kong. Save some cash, meet some Filipino contacts then move to the Philippines if you like what you see.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand