German student I met feels alienated in Taiwan

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
LocDout
Freshman Poster

Post by LocDout »

Winston wrote:
lavezzi wrote:
Winston wrote:Sadly, very few people tell it like it is. Almost every travel site is infested with touristy propaganda.
Speaking of politically correct touristy propaganda, look at what someone wrote about New York today on this PC-extreme Irish forum I know:

"Yeah I was in NY last month and one thing that really stood out to me was how confident the women are.. The men are too I guess, but a lot of the women I met had very big personalities..

Another thing we noticed was how available they make themselves to the tourists.. a few times we would be standing in the middle of a street with a map and people will just walk up to you asking if they can help you out.. people from all walks of life from businessmen to the street cleaners..

So so different over there."

WTF?? That couldn't possibly be further from the truth. What reason would anyone have to lie and say that it's like that there? Do the New York tourist board hire people to go around on random forums spreading lies in order to attract more tourists?
Could it depend on where you are in NYC? Are different parts friendlier than others? What about the Bronx? Or Queens? That's where I lived when I was four years old.
all of nyc is unfriendly. the only people asking you if you need directions are thugs trying to take you to an alley to rob you. it's a city where all the criminals in the world gather. nyc suburbs aint any better either. if you are Black, Asian, or Hispanic, you'll get picked up by the cops too.