Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Telecommuting from the Philippines?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Telecommuting from the Philippines?

Postby manly5000 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:26 am

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone here does this or knows anyone doing this? The IT job I have currently (with a HUGE company) could be done remotely, in fact some people in our department work from other countries for months at a time (like India). And I can see a need for someone to work the wee hours of the morning here (which would be a normal schedule in the Phils since 12 hours ahead).

I know there are those that teach english online but what about telecommuting for an IT job? At my salary I could live like a KING in the Phils, but are there restrictive laws to do this kind of thing? Is the tax paying situation difficult to navigate? I'm in the USA.

Just want to get some preliminary thoughts before I even think of suggesting this to my bosses... lol.

Thanks!
manly5000
Freshman Poster

Just stay there

Postby Baron » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:52 am

I am a senior operations manager for an IT company.
Sort of BPO. (Business Process Outsourcing).

If you are not sent from the HQ in the states to PH with proper compensation / expat package/ and at least a Director title,
forget about coming here. After an year or two, you have a good chance of getting ditched, and once that happens,
nobody is going to pay you that decent amount of salary anymore.

Once you stick here and try to find a job in the local IT market, expect to receive 1k usd Per month and be HAPPY.

It is my word of advice.
If you see unusual things happening, tell yourself "Welcome to the Philippines!!" and you can finally understand the truth...
Baron
Freshman Poster

Postby xiongmao » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:44 pm

Due to English speaking natives there's a gigantic IT presence in the Phillies. I myself employ the occasional Filipino. Just bear in mind that I and many others use them because they're cheap. Don't get into competing with the locals for work.

And don't let your money go anywhere near the Philippines government. If you're setting up an Asia corporation register it in Hong Kong! Otherwise keep quiet about your income source.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby manly5000 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Thanks for the input guys.

Actually I don't work for an IT company and I wouldn't be looking for IT work *in* the 'Pines. I work for a huge corp rated one of the top places to work in the USA and they already have a bunch of people telecommuting from different states and internationally. My job would be quite secure and is specialized and can be done 100 percent remotely.

My question about this pertains to Philippines regulations, not the job itself. Are there any hurdles and red tape to go through with the PI government to telecommute to the USA?
manly5000
Freshman Poster

Postby xiongmao » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:04 pm

Just keep quiet about everything!
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand