Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Do you need a Visa to visit China during a stop over?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Do you need a Visa to visit China during a stop over?

Postby OzGuy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:52 pm

I will be flying to Europe later this year and there is a 7 hour stop over in Guangzhou. This is a very long time to spend in the airport, so I was hoping I'd be allowed to leave to explore the city while I'm waiting.

However, I have read mixed things about this. Some say you need a visa to leave the airport, regardless of how long. Others say you can leave the airport without a visa if its less than 24 hours and you have a connecting flight.

Does anyone know what the case may be?

If I can leave the airport, is there much to see in Guangzhou?
OzGuy
Freshman Poster

Postby ph_visitor » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:49 am

You need a visa, no excuses.

You must have a tourist visa, 2 weeks usually, to set foot outside of the airport. You need to get it in your home nation and get it early so that the processing delay, which always occurs, does not hold you up.

Yes you need a visa.

China is ultra-strict about visas. Overstay by one day and you are in jail and paying a big fine. They are not like Canada, the EU or USA where they say: 'You have been here too long, time to think about leaving.'.

No, they jail you that instant.

They do not f**k around.

Yes you need a visa.
ph_visitor
Freshman Poster

Postby xiongmao » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:46 pm

Guangzhou is my home from home, but it takes an hour to get to downtown from the airport on the metro and an hour back. It's also not the most efficient airport in China, so you wouldn't have a lot of time to explore.

Stock up on the cuban cigars in the duty free store though, they're cheap and great quality!
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Re: Do you need a Visa to visit China during a stop over?

Postby momopi » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:50 am

OzGuy wrote:I will be flying to Europe later this year and there is a 7 hour stop over in Guangzhou. This is a very long time to spend in the airport, so I was hoping I'd be allowed to leave to explore the city while I'm waiting.
However, I have read mixed things about this. Some say you need a visa to leave the airport, regardless of how long. Others say you can leave the airport without a visa if its less than 24 hours and you have a connecting flight.
Does anyone know what the case may be?
If I can leave the airport, is there much to see in Guangzhou?

Have you already booked your flight? If not, consider doing a layover in HK or SG if you don't want the hassles of getting a China VISA. US Citizens are allowed 90 day VISA free visit to HK/SG.

Singapore is very layover friendly. If you want a quick tour around the city, they have hop-on/hop-off bus tours. The city-state has a decent light rail network and lots of slight seeing, shopping, and dining options.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby xiongmao » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:49 pm

HK is a great stopover place as well. The downer is that hotel prices have doubled since I visited in 2006. The trick is to look for an agent that will give you a free stopover hotel room when you book your flight.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand