Do you need a Visa to visit China during a flight layover?

Discuss international visas, immigration and citizenship issues.
OzGuy
Freshman Poster

Do you need a Visa to visit China during a flight layover?

Post by OzGuy »

I will be flying to Europe later this year and there is a 7 hour stop over in Guangzhou. This is a very long time to spend in the airport, so I was hoping I'd be allowed to leave to explore the city while I'm waiting.

However, I have read mixed things about this. Some say you need a visa to leave the airport, regardless of how long. Others say you can leave the airport without a visa if its less than 24 hours and you have a connecting flight.

Does anyone know what the case may be?

If I can leave the airport, is there much to see in Guangzhou?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

ph_visitor
Freshman Poster

Post by ph_visitor »

You need a visa, no excuses.

You must have a tourist visa, 2 weeks usually, to set foot outside of the airport. You need to get it in your home nation and get it early so that the processing delay, which always occurs, does not hold you up.

Yes you need a visa.

China is ultra-strict about visas. Overstay by one day and you are in jail and paying a big fine. They are not like Canada, the EU or USA where they say: 'You have been here too long, time to think about leaving.'.

No, they jail you that instant.

They do not f**k around.

Yes you need a visa.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Guangzhou is my home from home, but it takes an hour to get to downtown from the airport on the metro and an hour back. It's also not the most efficient airport in China, so you wouldn't have a lot of time to explore.

Stock up on the cuban cigars in the duty free store though, they're cheap and great quality!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Do you need a Visa to visit China during a stop over?

Post by momopi »

OzGuy wrote:I will be flying to Europe later this year and there is a 7 hour stop over in Guangzhou. This is a very long time to spend in the airport, so I was hoping I'd be allowed to leave to explore the city while I'm waiting.
However, I have read mixed things about this. Some say you need a visa to leave the airport, regardless of how long. Others say you can leave the airport without a visa if its less than 24 hours and you have a connecting flight.
Does anyone know what the case may be?
If I can leave the airport, is there much to see in Guangzhou?
Have you already booked your flight? If not, consider doing a layover in HK or SG if you don't want the hassles of getting a China VISA. US Citizens are allowed 90 day VISA free visit to HK/SG.

Singapore is very layover friendly. If you want a quick tour around the city, they have hop-on/hop-off bus tours. The city-state has a decent light rail network and lots of slight seeing, shopping, and dining options.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

HK is a great stopover place as well. The downer is that hotel prices have doubled since I visited in 2006. The trick is to look for an agent that will give you a free stopover hotel room when you book your flight.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.