Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Sick of living here. Teaching English in China - Questions.

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Re: Sick of living here. Teaching English in China - Questio

Postby lavezzi » Thu May 10, 2012 9:19 pm

Jester wrote:If you don't mind my asking, did the mugger look and sound Irish?

Of course he was Irish. Our immigrants are usually well-behaved.

OK, so I've just spent €200 on an online TEFL course. I've finally made the first steps to making the happierabroad dream a reality for me. I really hope it works out and I can say goodbye to stuck-up women for good or at least for a good while.
lavezzi
Junior Poster

Postby Jester » Sun May 13, 2012 2:46 am

lavezzi wrote:

f**k.
That's what I was afraid of.
Scratch Ireland off the list.

lavezzi wrote:OK, so I've just spent €200 on an online TEFL course. I've finally made the first steps to making the happierabroad dream a reality for me. I really hope it works out and I can say goodbye to stuck-up women for good or at least for a good while.

Congratulations!

These steps you guys take are like a breath of fresh air for me. Inspiration.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Repatriate » Sun May 13, 2012 4:50 pm

lavezzi wrote:

OK, so I've just spent €200 on an online TEFL course. I've finally made the first steps to making the happierabroad dream a reality for me. I really hope it works out and I can say goodbye to stuck-up women for good or at least for a good while.

You just wasted 200 euros because the TEFL is worthless and the only qualification you need to teach english is being white.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Postby lavezzi » Tue May 15, 2012 12:14 am

This TEFL course seems very complex and complicated. Is it really necessary to know which of your students are 'auditory theorists' and which are 'visual pragmatists' etc. for teaching English in China?
lavezzi
Junior Poster

Teaching in Asia

Postby dreamer82 » Tue May 22, 2012 2:47 am

Back in 1996 I went to South Korea after seeing an ad in the newspaper. It was a lot of fun even though I'm an introvert and have a little speech impediment. They accepted me and I found that I had no reason to be nervous about it. Even on the plane ride over I was studying Korean language and the beautiful Korean stewardesses would sit next to me and help me at times. Just be yourself and go for it!
dreamer82
Freshman Poster

Postby ph_visitor » Tue May 22, 2012 4:05 pm

lavezzi wrote:This TEFL course seems very complex and complicated. Is it really necessary to know which of your students are 'auditory theorists' and which are 'visual pragmatists' etc. for teaching English in China?

Well, once you get serious about teaching, yes.

I have 2 or 3 classes that take up most of my effort as I try to figure out what reaches them.

Figuring out their learning style, which they are accidentally grouped by as the Chinese toss the bad apples all in one room, is essential.

Then you teach to that to keep their interest.

If you want to be one of those young guys who lands in a town for 9 months and then leaves, you won't care. It's up to you if you want to be good at what you do, or not.
ph_visitor
Freshman Poster

Postby tjh14 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:39 am

Been in China 3 years now. Am I nuts? Anyway, without a college degree you can't get a work visa unless the school can pull some strings. Without a work visa, you are working illegally on a tourist or business visa which means the school can rip you off and you can't go to the cops. That said, I know guys in the larger cities who have done that for years without much problem. The real requirement to teaching in China is that the students like you. If they keep signing up for more lessons and tell their friends that you are good, the school wouldn't care if you were a drooling mongoloid. They will love you as long as you make them money.
tjh14
Freshman Poster

Postby eurobrat » Tue May 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Last edited by eurobrat on Thu May 23, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Postby xiongmao » Tue May 29, 2012 2:21 pm

Hi tjh14,

Are you there for the women or do you have another reason for being there (not that I can think of any). If so do you find being an English teacher is a turn off for the ladies? I know a lot of my Chinese women friends get told to be careful about dating teachers.

Sorry for the intruding questions but a lot of guys who want Asian brides do consider the English teaching idea, so it's nice to know if it's good or a non-starter.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby lavezzi » Tue May 29, 2012 2:34 pm

eurobrat wrote:Lavezzi, Im actually taking the same course the 120 hour online one right? What module are you on?

I no longer have any interest in going to China. I've achieved mental liberation so I now have no self-serving ambitions or deep-seated desires, which has freed me of all insecurity so now I can easily approach Asian/foreign women in my own country. I did this yesterday with a Korean girl so I'm going on the first date of my life on friday.

I'll still take the course eventually to improve my own knowledge of English though, namely the technical terms. There seems to be a 6 month time limit to do it.
lavezzi
Junior Poster

Postby ethan_sg » Tue May 29, 2012 4:04 pm

What?! A complete change in your entire value system and everything you adamantly believed in within a fortnight just because some girl agrees to go on a date with you? I know it's the first date of your life but you gotta keep things in perspective.

And people were calling you an inspiration 2 weeks ago.

lavezzi wrote:
eurobrat wrote:Lavezzi, Im actually taking the same course the 120 hour online one right? What module are you on?

I no longer have any interest in going to China. I've achieved mental liberation so I now have no self-serving ambitions or deep-seated desires, which has freed me of all insecurity so now I can easily approach Asian/foreign women in my own country. I did this yesterday with a Korean girl so I'm going on the first date of my life on friday.

I'll still take the course eventually to improve my own knowledge of English though, namely the technical terms. There seems to be a 6 month time limit to do it.
ethan_sg
Freshman Poster

Postby eurobrat » Tue May 29, 2012 4:08 pm

Dude you wasted 200 Euros! Give me 200 Euros!
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Postby lavezzi » Tue May 29, 2012 4:18 pm

ethan_sg wrote:What?! A complete change in your entire value system and everything you adamantly believed in within a fortnight just because some girl agrees to go on a date with you? I know it's the first date of your life but you gotta keep things in perspective.

Haha no, I transcended my ego with spiritual practices. After that I'm free of insecurity so I no longer have to travel to where I'm a minority to meet women. I can simply go into town where it's packed full of young foreign women and approach them. I no longer have a need for a woman to validate me in some way but I figured I might as well do it for the experience and the fun of it, if it goes badly I won't care.

eurobrat wrote:Dude you wasted 200 Euros! Give me 200 Euros!

It was all a part of my path. I don't need money anymore. I can just walk around the place and look at trees.
lavezzi
Junior Poster

Postby green1976 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:38 pm

ethan_sg wrote:What?! A complete change in your entire value system and everything you adamantly believed in within a fortnight just because some girl agrees to go on a date with you? I know it's the first date of your life but you gotta keep things in perspective.

lavezzi wrote:

Haha p***y power as always.

Remind of those guys i knew who where spitting on Western ladies or home ladies,seeing them few years after finally settling down here and get married.

Yeah the complicated equation of how surviving without any dates,without any sexual activity,having to go far away to be able only to fulfill these requirements few months per year.

I've always said,putting myself on it as i know how i weaken when i'm confronted to forced celibacy.

I can see how some guys finally surrender to the p***y power at home,can't stand anymore the frustration to fully indulge their needs only a few months per year.
green1976
Freshman Poster

Postby tjh14 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:53 pm

If so do you find being an English teacher is a turn off for the ladies?

No, not at all. I have had non-stop girlfriends, one after the other. Been with the same one now for a year, which is a record. I never heard that in China, but did in eastern Europe where I first started teaching. In Beijing, sometimes the ladies were looking for Engineers, Businessmen with more cash, but there were still many who didn't care. In Chongqing there are not many Laowai, so it was very easy to meet women there. Chinese women are the best thing about China. Didn't come here for the ladies, may soon be leaving and going to Middle East. Kind of burned out on dating actually. All their faces have started to blur together.
tjh14
Freshman Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand