Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme

Why is Taiwan so unfriendly, cold, closed, repressed, antisocial, negative, lonely, alienating, depressing, etc?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why is Taiwan so unfriendly, antisocial, negative, lonel

Post by Winston » November 17th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Btw let me clarify something. One can make some friends in Taipei or taichung or kaoshiung if one puts in some effort. Because those are cosmopolitan areas of taiwan, so they have educated people who speak English and can converse with foreigners more.

However, usually these are not real friends, but more like acquaintances. They are the kind of "friends" that you can only talk about polite subjects with, such as the weather, not the kind you can talk about your problems with or discuss deeper subjects. Or even be honest with. You see, if you offend them in any way or say anything controversial or negative, they will cut you off and treat you like a freak. Thats not what real friends do. But its not surprising because thats exactly how people who are superficial and judgmental tend to treat others.

In short, friendships in Taiwan are very DISSATISFYING, even when you make a few. They are low quality friendships that do not satisfy your needs for quality social relationships, and more like acquaintances than true friends. Such "friendships" also drift apart easily if not maintained, which is not surprising given the very superficial nature of Taiwanese in general.

In Taiwan there are unspoken rules regarding "friendships", which people instinctively feel. They are:

- No talking about anything negative or controversial. Ironically even though taiwanese women are negative, superficial and judgmental, they dont like to hear anything negative even though they are negative people themselves. Very odd i know.
- Only talk about polite subjects like the weather or simple practical subjects.
- Don't say anything thats not politically correct, especially about taiwan.
- Dont say anything weird that could be judged negatively. Act square.
- Dont discuss new ideas and theories. Thats intimidating to asians since 99.9999 percent of asians cannot form new ideas or think outside the box like white people do. Thus its rude to intimidate them or make them think outside their box. Its inappropriate. Taiwanese prefer to be closed and narrow minded and will gladly admit it if you ask.

Go to Taiwan and try breaking these social rules and see what happens. They'll avoid you. All this is indicative of a people who are very superficial and judgmental and not your true friends, but are more like acquaintances. In short, any "friendships" you make in Taiwanese with locals is very empty and dissatisfying.
Check out my fun video clips in Russia and video series Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind and Full Russia Trip Videos!

See my HA Ebook and Join Our Dating Sites to support us!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World

Check out our Dating Sites and International Romance Tours!

Falcon
Experienced Poster

Re: Why is Taiwan so unfriendly, antisocial, negative, lonely?

Post by Falcon » November 24th, 2017, 7:01 pm

I recently went to Taiwan when my dad asked me to meet him there.

And it turned out to be a very unpleasant experience.

My relatives and their friends were a bunch of really strict, uptight, negative, narrow-minded middle-aged women who all treated me like a child despite the fact that I'm now 26. They all had to micromanage my behavior and would make me feel like I was an employee being berated for little things. I could not feel any sort of family warmth with them at all. Relatives from both my mom's and dad's sides were like that, not just a few people.

Examples:
"Put the bag there! Show some common sense, don't be dumb."
"Go wash that. Use that soap. No you should do it this way. Why did you forget that spot there?"
"Put that thing there. No, don't use that."
"Eat this first. I said eat that before you go."
"What are you doing abroad? Why are doing this and that?"
"Let the elders eat first. Put rice in their bowls and pour them tea. No, pour the tea this way. No no, that way."
"Ai-ya!"

When I visited them, I was in for a multiple unpleasant interrogations with lots of negative comments.
Let me put it this way: If the glass is half full, they have to look at it as if it's half empty.

My grandmother is now being taken care of by a new Indonesian caregiver at a hospital in Taipei. With my nagging aunt, dad, and family friends giving me a hard time while I'm stuck there, only the Indonesian caregiver and another Filipina caregiver there were pleasant to talk to. I felt so much happier, liberated, and relaxed with that vibe.

I really feel uncomfortable around all these uptight Taiwanese. You can never make them happy. You always feel inadequate and in FEAR. One way or another, you are always forced to feel bad. Not even Winston's parents are like that. His are actually much more lenient for upper-middle class Taiwanese parents.

The most positive social interactions of my trip where with my family's Indonesian caregiver, a Filipina maid, and a Vietnamese office worker that I had met. Every Taiwanese was either an authoritarian who made you shake with fear (my cranky old female relatives) or a half-dead zombie (the younger generation).

I'm sure I'm not the only guy who feels this way. There's just something really weird about Taiwan's vibe, despite its first-world cleanliness and efficiency. Singapore and Hong Kong are way different, with loud, energetic, boisterous locals who have way more energy and positivity than many Taiwanese.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why is Taiwan so unfriendly, cold, closed, repressed, antisocial, negative, lonely, alienating, depressing, etc?

Post by Winston » January 4th, 2018, 4:36 pm

A rarity. Video of friendly Taiwanese girl I met named Joyce in 2004. I talked to her on the bus and she spoke good English and was enthusiastic to talk to me. When we got off the bus, I filmed this clip of her. I tried to film many other girls during that trip to Taiwan but they were all either too camera shy or stiff and cold, no confidence at all. It's a pity Taiwan does not teach its people to be confident and assertive at all, but quite the opposite, hence it's a very negative culture but no one has the guts to expose this simple fact except me. Am I the bravest man in the world or what? lol

Check out my fun video clips in Russia and video series Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why is Taiwan so unfriendly, cold, closed, repressed, antisocial, negative, lonely, alienating, depressing, etc?

Post by Winston » January 10th, 2018, 7:43 am

I have a question. How come young taiwanese people never have opinions or observations or insights? All they do is say what they are supposed to say and do what they are supposed to do. Like total robots. Sometimes older taiwanese or middle aged taiwanese have some opinions. But the young ones dont. All they can say is "its nice" or "its good" etc and act super meek and reserved, which is annoying and unnatural. Makes me uncomfortable. Taiwan is the weirdest country in asia for sure. I dont connect with such a zombie land at all.