Why is Taiwan so Cold, Closed, Soulless, Uptight, Unsocial, Repressed, Alienating, Fake, Overly Serious?!

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
ethan_sg
Freshman Poster

Re: Why is Taiwan so unfriendly, antisocial, closed, stuck u

Post by ethan_sg »

Winston wrote: Btw, mainland Chinese are not desperate to leave China. Some want to move to the west so they can make more money and invest in more real estate and send their kids to good universities. Yeah. But they are not desperate, and they will not marry any guy to get out of the country. That is a stupid myth. Go to China and you will see what I mean.

You need to travel more and live abroad more. Otherwise you are just speculating.
Plus ONE to that Winston. There are way too many myths going on about mainland China from people who have either never been here or only been here on short visits, and especially from people who don't speak Chinese and don't really have the ability to integrate with the locals, apart from the very small and non-representative westernized sample.
Chinaebuys - http://www.chinaebuys.com
Buy and Ship any Product Internationally from China
Shipping to more than 200 countries worldwide
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Btw, Im in taiwan cause of my parents. They always choose to live in the most antisocial unfriendly countries because they dont need to meet people. Their decisions always f**k up my life, ever since 1981 when we left palo alto, where i was happy and might have had a happy childhood if we hadnt moved. If it wasnt for my parents i wouldn't be visiting taiwan or america and suffering like this. You should know that. My parents sort of act like agents for Murphys Law, a force that tries to give me the opposite of what i want and need.

If only i could get my parents to live in china or friendlier countries. But they are so stubborn and unchangeable. They only alternate between the two worst countries for me, taiwan and america, which are the most unfriendly countries that i hate like hell because those countries hate me too, for no reason. Me and those countries are like oil and water, or lions and hyenas, or superman and kryptonite. They bring out the worst and are toxic, lonely, negative and antisocial.

You know, if a nuclear bomb destroyed taiwan tomorrow, i probably wouldnt feel the slightest bit of sympathy, except maybe for my blood relatives of course. Why would i? Taiwanese dont care about me and dont give a shit about me, so why should i care about them or give a shit about them? Plus taiwanese have no soul or emotion, so they are not even true humans anyway. The deaths of Taiwanese would be like the destruction of robots and mannequins, so they would not be true human casualties anyway. Seriously. No joke. Thats how bad taiwan really is.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Because that's what naturally happens to Chinese when they acquire wealth. They're naturally status chasers, and the only thing that they gun for once they reach first-world status is any person or thing that can make their status appear higher.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

If I moved to Chiayi for whatever reason, the first places that I would visit to meet people are:

1. Local fishing gear stores, where I would chat up the owner and find group charters (if any) organized by the locals.

For non-fisherman, group charters refer to group of people chipping in $ to rent fishing boat. It may take several hours by boat to reach fishing area (and back). You break out the snacks and socialize. If folks like you enough they will invite you on future outings to the mountains, lakes, sea, etc. to fish.

https://youtu.be/Z2CeM0bZ56Y
https://youtu.be/JZ0VtqoXFYI

2. Get a membership at 田寮靶場 in chiayi. I heard this is one of the larger and better equipped public shooting range (trap/skeet) in Taiwan after NT 30 million refurbishment. The address is 602, Taiwan, Chiayi County, Fanlu Township, 內甕村 過溪仔8-5號.

https://youtu.be/laeyehpbS5A
https://youtu.be/JFQ-UeV8-_Y

I would meet the owners/employees, club members, regulars. etc. This is not a cheap sport in TW and regulars will likely be from well off background. I would try to befriend and possibly offer to take them on hunting trips in the US. If Chiayi turns out to be a dud there are other ranges in Yilan, Taipei, Kenting, etc.

Kenting: https://youtu.be/APExl75j1lo
Yilan: https://youtu.be/CQ-XVjYZ3iI

You can rent shotguns at the range, but if you want to purchase your own shotgun you must join a shooting sports association, which cost NT 60,000 plus NT 6,000/year: http://www.ding-fwu.com/3

Do NOT take any ammunition or spent shells/casings out of the range. You can obtain permit to transport your shotgun but you may NOT transport ammunition (!). Only indigenous tribesman on tribal land may carry hunting arms and ammunition.

For those in Los Angeles area, I shoot at triple b clays: http://www.triplebclays.com
For hunting near LA, big horn canyon ranch is private land and does not require hunting license or tags. This would be easier for foreign guests: http://bighorncanyonranch.com

3. This will be the hardest of the three: go up the mountain and try to befriend the natives, the only people in Taiwan legally permitted to hunt. Maybe start by volunteering as English tutor for remote mountain village schools?

This is speaking only for myself and my hobbies with limited socializing opportunities. As an adult it's your responsibility to vote with your feet and go where you want to be, not blame your parents. We have been through this many times. Ask yourself why Taiwanese men imported so many brides from abroad.
Last edited by momopi on July 18th, 2016, 7:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

From my dad:

"Just saw a TV program from Taiwan. It talked about the problem of finding a partner. Many people remain single and no girl/boy friends for many years. Some because of busy working, some are difficult to maintain relationship because of personality problem. Taiwan is not a good place to find good partners because people want more than they deserved and refuse to compromise. So, maybe that is why you have difficult to find a date. Just relax and take it easy. In this kind of environment the more you try the more frustration you will get. Just give up now and find your love somewhere else, Philippines, China ... You will enjoy your time in Taiwan better if you give up hope and stop trying. Love dad

The problem is not you. It is the environment."

My response:

"Its not just about dating girls. I find it impossible even to make normal friends in taiwan. People are too antisocial and stuck up. So my cousin Alice was definitely WRONG about taiwan being friendly. If taiwan is "friendly" then why is it impossible to make friends? Its an oxymoron and contradiction.

But you always go to the most antisocial unfriendly countries like taiwan and america. You should live in more normal countries like china where its easier to get normal social life and normal dating life."
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

HouseMD wrote:Because that's what naturally happens to Chinese when they acquire wealth. They're naturally status chasers, and the only thing that they gun for once they reach first-world status is any person or thing that can make their status appear higher.
But then how do you explain why the girls at seedy brothels on Taiwan also act spoiled, bitchy and impatient with a bad attitude? We all know that brothel girls come from the poorest and most dysfunctional families. So why arent they sweet and humble? How do you explain that?

Have you heard of the "hundredth monkey effect"? It means that if a few monkeys learn a new skill, then all the monkeys of the world will learn it faster. Scientists have discovered this. Its as though all the monkeys are connected by a collective consciousness or group soul.

Maybe thats whats going on here. Girls copy other girls in their country. So even poor girls will act like spoiled rich girls who are entitled. Same in america. Thats why you dont see poor American girls acting sweet and humble.

WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

Winston wrote:
HouseMD wrote:Because that's what naturally happens to Chinese when they acquire wealth. They're naturally status chasers, and the only thing that they gun for once they reach first-world status is any person or thing that can make their status appear higher.
But then how do you explain why the girls at seedy brothels on Taiwan also act spoiled, bitchy and impatient with a bad attitude? We all know that brothel girls come from the poorest and most dysfunctional families. So why arent they sweet and humble? How do you explain that?

Have you heard of the "hundredth monkey effect"? It means that if a few monkeys learn a new skill, then all the monkeys of the world will learn it faster. Scientists have discovered this. Its as though all the monkeys are connected by a collective consciousness or group soul.

Maybe thats whats going on here. Girls copy other girls in their country. So even poor girls will act like spoiled rich girls who are entitled. Same in america. Thats why you dont see poor American girls acting sweet and humble.
I think women don't act nice and sweet because they don't have it so bad. Poor girls in America don't have it that bad and the girls in Taiwan don't either. Both groups have many men that want them.
IraqVet2003
Junior Poster

Post by IraqVet2003 »

Winston wrote:From my dad:

"Just saw a TV program from Taiwan. It talked about the problem of finding a partner. Many people remain single and no girl/boy friends for many years. Some because of busy working, some are difficult to maintain relationship because of personality problem. Taiwan is not a good place to find good partners because people want more than they deserved and refuse to compromise. So, maybe that is why you have difficult to find a date. Just relax and take it easy. In this kind of environment the more you try the more frustration you will get. Just give up now and find your love somewhere else, Philippines, China ... You will enjoy your time in Taiwan better if you give up hope and stop trying. Love dad

The problem is not you. It is the environment."

My response:

"Its not just about dating girls. I find it impossible even to make normal friends in taiwan. People are too antisocial and stuck up. So my cousin Alice was definitely WRONG about taiwan being friendly. If taiwan is "friendly" then why is it impossible to make friends? Its an oxymoron and contradiction.

But you always go to the most antisocial unfriendly countries like taiwan and america. You should live in more normal countries like china where its easier to get normal social life and normal dating life."
Winston, just to be honest with you I have never been to Taiwan (Republic of China-ROC). But please correct me if I'm wrong. Could the real (but not the only factor) reason why many of the people (particularly the women) in Taiwan are so antisocial, cliquish, closed off to strangers, and stuck up is due to the fact this country is one of the "Asian Tiger" nations which have highly workaholic societies just as Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong (China), and Singapore? Not to mention the worship of status, education/grades, career/"rat race", technology, and money could also be among the reasons why the Taiwanese people are so hard to get to know, let alone get any dates? Winston, I have another possible theory as to why Taiwanese society is so closed off. Taiwan is a small island nation with scarce natural resources and living space so as a result competition for jobs, homes, and dating/marriage partners among it's people is fierce. Also Winston, from what I understand Taiwanese women can be very attractive because I have seen photos of some flight attendants of China Airlines and some young ladies dressed up as maids (cosplay uniforms) at a McDonald's!!! However, such women can at times be very stuck towards many guys because of all of the attention they receive.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Iraqvet2003,

You nailed it. What do taiwan,japan and south korea have in common. They are all developed nations and the women there are picky. If your a young tall good looking guy you might have a chance but for older average guys it be allot harder.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

...American culture invades TW. Old men (like me) who are twice their age need not to apply:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRgP2J63l1M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVYs7ZOdR0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yhS-vpeHgc
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

momopi wrote:...American culture invades TW. Old men (like me) who are twice their age need not to apply:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRgP2J63l1M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVYs7ZOdR0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yhS-vpeHgc
I'm not anti-black, but one thing i really don't like is how they've spread those stupid twerking moves all over the world. I really like women's asses but those trashy moves and ass acrobatics are a big turn off, digusting. No taste, no real sensuality.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Really western culture is screwing things up. How's that white people you created this culture :D and now it;s exported to every other country and every country will be like America.
cdnFA
Junior Poster

Post by cdnFA »

Winston wrote:with a bad attitude? We all know that brothel girls come from the poorest and most dysfunctional families. So why arent they sweet and humble? How do you explain that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundredth ... iscredited

Scientists have not discovered this, they have rejected this. A single scientist made up some shit.

Please stop making claims such as "science says X" you are pretty much always wrong.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here rock explains to monkro why the dating scene in taiwan has gone to shit. The income and birthrate stats are shocking. Taiwan must have been a different world in 1985. Lol

Rock:

"My reply: Yes what I will write on this is just conjecture (a guess) but it would seem to fit in with a lot of our current beliefs regarding how external changes effect the dating and mating environment.

1. Economics
Taiwan GDP per head (PPP) in USD
1985: 5,833
2000: 21,590
2016: 47,811

2. Taiwan crude annual birthrates per 1,000
1961: 38
1970: 27
2000: 14.4
2014: 8.6

3. Smartphone and social media penetration
2000: People just starting to use the Internet for social contact (email) and simple cellphones (Taiwan was a late adopter in Asia).
2016: Virtually all young people have smartphones, chat apps, Facebook, etc.

Remember, young people at any point in history are not just product of current social environment but were also shaped during their formative years by things that happened a decade or more ago plus the values and attitudes transmitted to them from their parents who in turn were products of social environment from 20-40 years previously. So to get a handle on why young people might behave they way they do, you can examine now only how things have changed in last 15 years (today vs. 15 years ago) but also how things changed say 15 vs. 30-40 years ago.

Today's Taiwan provides much better environment for women's economic and emotional (validation and attention) needs than Taiwan did as you go back in time 15-30 years. Taiwan used to be a lower middle income country with much more of a third world feel than what it is now. Traditional non-communist Chines culture valued men over women and women and men were in general more masculine in attitude and outlook than now.

Another factor to consider is the dating market value a typical American male would have in Taiwan before vs. now. Back 15-30 years ago, an English teaching wage seemed quite high by local standards. It's remained fairly static even over time even though local wages have climbed dramatically. So that gap has closed. USA used to seem like a rich country relative to Taiwan. Not so anymore. And there was a long period in the 70s, 80s, and even 90s where American pop culture was considered uber cool. In general, a decent looking American male was considered unique and attractive by many of the young women in Taiwan. Someone with exotic status who represented rich and cool country which led much of the world's pop trends and fashions. So many women who were already dating Taiwan guys or in a so-so relationship or even a strong one would sometimes dump the Taiwan guy if they got the chance to catch an American guy. Others would engage in casual relationships with Americans, sometimes pretending to be single even, due to the factors just mentioned above.

Not all boyfriends are created equally. A certain percentage of girls have contingent boyfriends or dating partners who they will replace if a guy comes along who moves here emotionally. At least that used to be the case in Taiwan as I learned from direct first hand experience.

If you are seeking insight not just into Taiwan women but women in general and the whys behind their behavior, you need to download and read "The Unchained Male". Read that book or at least the sections on women, dating, and sex then tell me your thoughts on it all."

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Some text messages from my dad about taiwan. He is finally admitting the truth.

Dad:

"I have to agree with you. Neither Taiwan nor America is the right place for your romance pursue. I don't know what have happened to Taiwan. People are getting more repressive and reserved. I even feel America is more friendly and polite and better manner than Taiwan. In America, at least people are smiling and let you or your car go first, they open doors for you. I don't see that often in Taiwan. You don't see people smile when your eyes met in Taiwan. No, the Japanese influence is to the older people not the young. The young ones were not ruled by Japanese. In term of good manner and politeness, Japanese are a lot better. What I enjoy in Taiwan is its foods and services and some close relatives and friends.

So, for your safety sake, just come to Taiwan to see us or when you are tired of traveling around. Just treat Taiwan as your safe heaven and America as a place for scenic, nature and Mexican foods. Love, dad"

"Somehow, I still feel sorry for young Taiwanese. They are frustrated and hopeless for their future, low salary, hard to find jobs, over priced houses. People are getting short temper, impatient. If you watch the news on TV, you will see people are fighting and arguing on the streets everyday. Young people are full of fears. They can't see their future. No wonder they are repressive, cold and down. I feel lucky that you don't have to work or make a living, or raise a family here. Have a sympathy to these young people. Put yourself in their shoes.

You are lucky you can go to other places if you don't like the place you are in but these young Taiwanese are stuck.

What you see the couples on the street, they usually knew each other for sometimes before they became couples, like work in the same place, participate in the same social activities, friend's friend or .... Very very few are together from some cold pick up on the street."

Winston:

"Rock says Taiwans income keeps going up. Thats why it is getting more unfriendly. And birthrates keep dropping. See his statistics below."

Dad:

"Sorry to hear that you are too depressed to check the msg. You are depressed because the reality is no in line with your expectation. When that happened, you blame and hate all Taiwanese including us. Do not take it personal. No one hates or against you. It is the problem of the environment, not you. Many Taiwanese hate the society, hate others for their hopeless future. They have low salary, very few jobs they like and could not afford the over priced house. They can't see their future. Most are depressed for reasons different from your depression. People are not happy. When they are not happy, they are not friendly. Have some sympathy for them too.

Rock's assessment of Taiwan is partial correct, like birth rate is lower than ever. But higher GDP or economy growth rate is deceiving. Only the business people have their big share. There is a big gap between the rich businessmen, government officers and the average salary workers, just like all industry countries. Taiwan is worse.

We can go to Shenzhen with you, no problem, after we finish all the things we need, like Angelo passport and visa.

Find some good movies or comedies to cheer you up. Do not take your anger toward others like argue or try to get into fight, like I saw you before when other driver blow hone behind you. There are road-raged news in Taiwan everyday. People are getting more violent everyday.

Treat Taiwan as a home when you are tired, to relax and as a rest stop of your next destination. When there is no expectation, there is no disappointment. Love dad"