Why is Taiwan so unfriendly, cold, closed, repressed, self-hating, lonely, alienating, negative, soulless?!

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why is Taiwan so unfriendly, antisocial, negative, lonel

Post by Winston »

Btw let me clarify something. One can make some friends in Taipei or taichung or kaoshiung if one puts in some effort. Because those are cosmopolitan areas of taiwan, so they have educated people who speak English and can converse with foreigners more.

However, usually these are not real friends, but more like acquaintances. They are the kind of "friends" that you can only talk about polite subjects with, such as the weather, not the kind you can talk about your problems with or discuss deeper subjects. Or even be honest with. You see, if you offend them in any way or say anything controversial or negative, they will cut you off and treat you like a freak. Thats not what real friends do. But its not surprising because thats exactly how people who are superficial and judgmental tend to treat others.

In short, friendships in Taiwan are very DISSATISFYING, even when you make a few. They are low quality friendships that do not satisfy your needs for quality social relationships, and more like acquaintances than true friends. Such "friendships" also drift apart easily if not maintained, which is not surprising given the very superficial nature of Taiwanese in general.

In Taiwan there are unspoken rules regarding "friendships", which people instinctively feel. They are:

- No talking about anything negative or controversial. Ironically even though taiwanese women are negative, superficial and judgmental, they dont like to hear anything negative even though they are negative people themselves. Very odd i know.
- Only talk about polite subjects like the weather or simple practical subjects.
- Don't say anything thats not politically correct, especially about taiwan.
- Dont say anything weird that could be judged negatively. Act square.
- Dont discuss new ideas and theories. Thats intimidating to asians since 99.9999 percent of asians cannot form new ideas or think outside the box like white people do. Thus its rude to intimidate them or make them think outside their box. Its inappropriate. Taiwanese prefer to be closed and narrow minded and will gladly admit it if you ask.

Go to Taiwan and try breaking these social rules and see what happens. They'll avoid you. All this is indicative of a people who are very superficial and judgmental and not your true friends, but are more like acquaintances. In short, any "friendships" you make in Taiwanese with locals is very empty and dissatisfying.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Falcon
Experienced Poster

Re: Why is Taiwan so unfriendly, antisocial, negative, lonely?

Post by Falcon »

I recently went to Taiwan when my dad asked me to meet him there.

And it turned out to be a very unpleasant experience.

My relatives and their friends were a bunch of really strict, uptight, negative, narrow-minded middle-aged women who all treated me like a child despite the fact that I'm now 26. They all had to micromanage my behavior and would make me feel like I was an employee being berated for little things. I could not feel any sort of family warmth with them at all. Relatives from both my mom's and dad's sides were like that, not just a few people.

Examples:
"Put the bag there! Show some common sense, don't be dumb."
"Go wash that. Use that soap. No you should do it this way. Why did you forget that spot there?"
"Put that thing there. No, don't use that."
"Eat this first. I said eat that before you go."
"What are you doing abroad? Why are doing this and that?"
"Let the elders eat first. Put rice in their bowls and pour them tea. No, pour the tea this way. No no, that way."
"Ai-ya!"

When I visited them, I was in for a multiple unpleasant interrogations with lots of negative comments.
Let me put it this way: If the glass is half full, they have to look at it as if it's half empty.

My grandmother is now being taken care of by a new Indonesian caregiver at a hospital in Taipei. With my nagging aunt, dad, and family friends giving me a hard time while I'm stuck there, only the Indonesian caregiver and another Filipina caregiver there were pleasant to talk to. I felt so much happier, liberated, and relaxed with that vibe.

I really feel uncomfortable around all these uptight Taiwanese. You can never make them happy. You always feel inadequate and in FEAR. One way or another, you are always forced to feel bad. Not even Winston's parents are like that. His are actually much more lenient for upper-middle class Taiwanese parents.

The most positive social interactions of my trip where with my family's Indonesian caregiver, a Filipina maid, and a Vietnamese office worker that I had met. Every Taiwanese was either an authoritarian who made you shake with fear (my cranky old female relatives) or a half-dead zombie (the younger generation).

I'm sure I'm not the only guy who feels this way. There's just something really weird about Taiwan's vibe, despite its first-world cleanliness and efficiency. Singapore and Hong Kong are way different, with loud, energetic, boisterous locals who have way more energy and positivity than many Taiwanese.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why is Taiwan so unfriendly, cold, closed, repressed, antisocial, negative, lonely, alienating, depressing, etc?

Post by Winston »

A rarity. Video of friendly Taiwanese girl I met named Joyce in 2004. I talked to her on the bus and she spoke good English and was enthusiastic to talk to me. When we got off the bus, I filmed this clip of her. I tried to film many other girls during that trip to Taiwan but they were all either too camera shy or stiff and cold, no confidence at all. It's a pity Taiwan does not teach its people to be confident and assertive at all, but quite the opposite, hence it's a very negative culture but no one has the guts to expose this simple fact except me. Am I the bravest man in the world or what? lol

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why is Taiwan so unfriendly, cold, closed, repressed, antisocial, negative, lonely, alienating, depressing, etc?

Post by Winston »

I have a question. How come young taiwanese people never have opinions or observations or insights? All they do is say what they are supposed to say and do what they are supposed to do. Like total robots. Sometimes older taiwanese or middle aged taiwanese have some opinions. But the young ones dont. All they can say is "its nice" or "its good" etc and act super meek and reserved, which is annoying and unnatural. Makes me uncomfortable. Taiwan is the weirdest country in asia for sure. I dont connect with such a zombie land at all.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why is Taiwan so unfriendly, cold, closed, repressed, negative, lonely, alienating, zombie-like, impossible, etc?

Post by Winston »

In taiwan now. At the airport while waiting 5 hours for my bus line to start, i noticed something. The foreign girls i talked to from Philippines or Thailand were friendly and warm. But when i said hi to any local taiwanese girls or women they looked very uncomfortable and annoyed as though i were bothering them. Some of them even changed their seat when i sat near them as though my vibe repelled them. They were so cold and unfriendly and unsociable. Why the big difference? Its not true that people here and everywhere are friendly. Why does everyone say that?

So basically only foreigners and elderly are friendly and sociable in Taiwan. Not young people and especially young women. Thats the obvious pattern. So why does no one else on the internet point this out except me? Am i the only one in the world with guts and honesty? And why do many websites claim Taiwan is rated the friendliest country for expats? How can it be friendly if no one wants to be your friend? Lol.

Which of these would best explain this mystery:

1. I am lying.
2. All taiwanese women are in on a conspiracy to be unfriendly to me and friendly to everyone else.
3. My definition of friendliness is different from others. Most people seem to think friendly means politeness. Taiwanese think that too. But my definition is different. To me friendly means "sociable and outgoing".
4. Everyone else is too gutless and cowardly to tell the truth about Taiwanese people. Im the bravest and most truthful person in the world. Braver than any of the truthers like david icke who would never dare say what i said above.
5. Something else im missing.

Whats the best explanation to this mystery of why no one points this out except me, even though its obvious? If no one on the entire world wide web said that the sky was blue except you, wouldnt you be perplexed and stupified as well?????

However i know the problem cant be me because:

1. I have no trouble making friends in most other countries. I am outgoing and sociable and confident. Taiwanese girls in contrast act like scaredy cats, they look scared and weak, with zero confidence and zero social skills. No joke. They act scared to death to talk to strangers and have a very weird vibe as well. And they look annoyed if you bother them. Trying to meet them feels rude and inappropriate. You arent supposed to stare at them either. You're expected to pretend they dont exist. Wtf?!

2. Most taiwanese ive made small talk with agree with me amd acknowledge that taiwanese females are closed and cold and do not talk to strangers and arent sociable. So Taiwanese themselves dont deny it. Especially if they are honest and down to earth and not divas or airheads who are afraid to say anything uncool.

3. I see lots of foreigners in Taiwan looking lonely and bored too. You dont see that in other countries. Even in taipei and taichung you usually see that foreigners are either alone or with other foreigners only. Never with local mainstream taiwanese. Ive taken many photos of them to prove this. This speaks volumes. Sometimes of course you see foreigners hanging out with westernized taiwanese or asian americans (like me). But never with local mainstream taiwanese.

Even one of Taiwans top celebrities, Janet Hsieh, only hangs out with foreigners too, because shes Asian American. Every time i saw her on TV or in real life, she is with foreigners, often acquaintances, not true friends. So if even a celebrity only hangs out with foreigners in Taiwan too, that speaks volumes.

4. Also many foreigners, at least half, agree with my views about taiwan and how cold and unsociable the women are. They concur with me in person or over email. Yet theyll never mention it in a blog or website or forum or YouTube video, etc. Why so gutless about offending others?

So you see the four factors above strongly attest to me not being the problem.

So how do you explain this vast discrepancy? And why does no one talk about it online except me? Ive been asking these questions on my forum and blog since 2009 yet no one can give me a comprehensive answer. Why?

Even the JFK assassination is easier to explain than this mystery. Lol

Furthermore if Taiwan is one of the hardest places to make any true friends or connections or find any soulful people, as i can strongly attest to, then why do many websites claim Taiwan is rated #1 in terms of friendliness? How can it be friendly if no one wants to be your friend? This question stumps everyone in Taiwan i ask. I can only assume that people are confusing politeness and friendliness. Even the dictionary defines those terms differently.

In truth, Taiwan is similar to Seattle Washington in that the social motto is simply: "Have a nice day..... Somewhere else. Not around me." In other words, polite but unsocial and no interest in connecting with others or hanging out or meeting people or in engaging in good conversation. Nothing but superficial politeness.

Btw i also noticed in Taiwan that there are no colorful personalities or eccentric characters or unique individuals like there are in Italy. Everyone here seems so bland and dull and boring. Especially the young crowd. They have no opinions on anything either. The older and elderly taiwanese have some opinions at least, though not very deep ones. But the young ones have none at all, and no ability to make any insights or observations on anything. So weird. You gotta wonder if they are even alive. Lol. But that's true of Asia in general. Young people are like cookie cutter automatons, not much difference between them. So zombie like. Like a sci fi dystopia movie. Lol.

How come no asians complain about this except me? Lol

Even rock said that in italy every person there has their own eccentric colorful personality and character. Italy would be a lot more fun than asia. The soulfulness there is so amazing and rich and unlike anything you can find in asia or america. Dont u ever wonder why we arent in Europe instead? Makes no sense.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why is Taiwan so unfriendly, cold, closed, repressed, negative, lonely, alienating, zombie-like, impossible, etc?

Post by Winston »

[5/23, 9:42 PM] Winston: Its so alienating here. You cant talk to people or connect with them or have a normal conversation with them. How come no one else complains about this too?

[5/23, 9:43 PM] Winston: The body language, mannerisms and facial expressions here are very creepy and negative. Cant stand it. Why did God make taiwanese like this? Feels impossible here.

[5/23, 9:48 PM] Winston: No one here is authentic, soulful or down to earth at all. How can you tolerate that? How come others are ok with that and dont complain? Is it all in my mind?

[5/29, 6:09 AM] Winston: Why do my own friends lie about me? I must be unlucky. See below.

[5/9, 5:19 PM] Rock Philippines: Taiwanese people may generally be selectively nice to people who fit their ideas of normal or to tourist families or white women or clean cut looking foreigners but nasty to creepy looking Chinese guys.

[5/29, 5:27 AM] Winston: But im very clean cut. U know that. I dont look nasty or creepy. Come on. How come in other countries people dont treat me like im nasty and give me a lot more respect?

[5/29, 5:28 AM] Winston: Its not my looks. Its my vibe. People who are very reserved dont tend to like me. That includes seattle and probably Scandinavia too.

[5/29, 5:28 AM] Winston: But i was dressed in nice clothes and at the airport no one is poor if they can afford a plane ticket.

[5/29, 5:29 AM] Winston: How come the thai and filipino girls were nice and warm to me at the airport if im so nasty looking? Makes no sense rock. U got a better more logical reason?

[5/29, 5:29 AM] Winston: Explanation i mean.

[5/29, 6:04 AM] Winston: Btw why do u say i look nasty and creepy. U know thats not true. Ask all my friends. No one thinks i look nasty and creepy, at least not in appearance. So why do u lie about that? Didn't your parents teach you that lying is wrong?

Why do u insist on believing that taiwanese girls are normal, natural and healthy and sociable? You know thats not true. Youve been to Taiwan. Youre not stupid. You can easily see what i mean. They have a weird negative unsocial vibe and a spoiled narcissistic personality too.

Falcon does not look nasty for sure. Yet he doesnt find taiwanese girls sociable at all. You know that im sure. So why u lie and claim that i am something that im not. That's dishonest and totally illogical rock.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Tonight at a vegetarian canteen the owner told me that i ought to find a wife or girlfriend in taiwan so i can settle here. I told her it was totally impossible since the women here never want to talk to me and are completely closed and antisocial if i even try to talk to them. Its totally hopeless.

She denied it and said that taiwanese are world renowned for their friendliness and hospitality. I said thats not true, especially now. Young people today are all into their smart phones and have zero interest in meeting new people or making new friends. Its hopeless in Taiwan or such Chinese, Japanese and American countries now. People may be polite and talk to you a few minutes, but thats it. They dont wanna make friends. Ive been to 14 countries and you gotta go to warmer soul countries to meet people, like Europe or Latin America.

She replied that i just havent met the right people yet. I responded that one cannot wait 10 or 20 years to meet "the right people". No one has that much time to burn. If it was meant to be, if God wanted me to have a taiwanese wife, i would have had one long ago. So obviously its not in my destiny.

Moreover even when i meet taiwanese women they usually dont like me and we have nothing in common. No connection or energy at all. And they usually dislike you if you are different than them in any way. Thats been my experience. They are highly judgmental. She again replied that i just havent met the right people yet. What a cliche. Totally useless. Lol

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

In fact the foreigners in Taiwan do not act like foreigners. They act semi-Taiwanese. They are timid, soft spoken, weak, and not assertive or confident at all. Why? Because in Taiwan that's how you are supposed to be. You are NOT allowed to be confident. Try acting confident in Taiwan and you will feel like a FREAK. The longer foreigners stay in Taiwan, the more they adapt to Taiwanese mannerisms and behavior, which is being weak, timid, soft spoken, and full of FEAR. They also become very uptight too. Remember zboy1 said his friends in Taiwan all said the foreigners are not friendly like in other countries either. Because once you plug into the Taiwanese hive mind, you become like them. If you don't you are ostracized and disliked and get bad vibes everywhere you go, because you refuse to be like them.

To give you an example: The other night my parents took me to a Turkish restaurant. I assumed the Turkish guys there would be like the Turkish guys in Angeles City. But they were anything but. When I tried to speak English to them, they got scared and began speaking Chinese to me. When I told them I was American, they looked shocked and nervous, like they didn't believe me. Even though they were GROWN men, they acted like shy, nerdy schoolkids. How can that be?! WTF?! How do you explain that?! The other Turkish men I've met speak English and do not act so timid, weak, and soft spoken. SO WEIRD!!!! What the f**k is wrong with Taiwan????!!!!

Obviously, being in Taiwan takes away your confidence, makes you weak and scared, doesn't allow you to be yourself, and makes you feel like shit, like you're some kind of LOSER. I definitely feel like a loser and like shit when I go out in Taiwan. People treat me like that too. It makes me want to cry. The eyes and stares I get in Taiwan are full of hate and cold. People must be very sick to hate you even though you did nothing wrong to them. It's that negative self-hating vibe. There's definitely no positive energy that uplifts you in Taiwan. No way jose. And by the way, it's not my imagination. When people hate you or dislike you, you can definitely FEEL it. It's not your imagination. Feelings are very reliable and near infallible. The Zen teacher Alan Watts said so too. Feelings never lie.

So Taiwan is a very SICK country indeed. And very evil as well, albeit silent evil. The soul is sick. Even though it's non-violent, but the hatred and negativity is still there. Zboy1 and Falcon felt this negative soul draining energy in Taiwan too. I cannot be the only one. It's not my imagination.

So how the hell can you tolerate that? Why is Taiwan so antisocial? Why is it impossible to connect with anyone there? Including my own relatives?

So even if you have friends in Taiwan, there's still the highly NEGATIVE vibe and energy in Taiwan that drains your soul and spirit and takes away your confidence and self esteem and does NOT allow you to be yourself or relax. The SELF-HATING negative energy and people and vibe of Taiwan is VERY STRONG and unmistakable. No one in Taiwan acts really courageous and confident. Not one. They are all scared and full of fear, which puts them on a low vibrational consciousness, according to new age spirituality.

Ask any foreigner in Taiwan the following questions:

1. Do you feel social connection and camaraderie in Taiwan?
2. Do you feel like Taiwanese are on your wavelength and relate to you?
3. Do you feel a positive energy that uplifts you and makes you feel good about yourself in Taiwan?
4. Does Taiwan make you feel good about yourself? Do you feel like you can be yourself?
5. Is the friendliness in Taiwan authentic or faked and forced and superficial?
6. How many true friends do you have in Taiwan who you can talk to about anything, including controversial things, and like you for you? Are they all just acquaintances?

I'll bet most if not all foreigners will answer the above questions the same way as me.

Look at the celebrity Janet Hsieh. I've seen her in Taipei. She only hangs with foreigners, not with local mainstream Taiwanese. Why do you think that is? In fact I never see foreigners in Taiwan hanging out with local mainstream Taiwanese. They are always with other foreigners, or with westernized Asians, or alone and looking bored and ignored.

Of course I feel like shit about myself in Taiwan. I feel like a total loser. And I don't like that. Only losers write shit like the above. Because everything I wrote above about Taiwan is taboo and forbidden and only a total loser would write it. Right? So I'm the biggest loser in Taiwan right? By Taiwan standards, yes that's right. I am a loser for no reason, other than that they are sick hateful negative creatures that hate me for no good reason, and I am exposing them for what they are. Well f**k them. They can go to hell. All I did was call a spade a spade. If they hate that, that's their problem. Hating me instead of changing themselves is the sign of a sick and evil mind.

See what I mean? Taiwan makes me feel like shit, just for telling the truth. What kind of sick society is that? I agree with Billy on one thing: FEELING GOOD about yourself is the most important thing. So you need to be a society that makes you FEEL GOOD. Not feel like shit. That's the most important thing. When you FEEL GOOD in a country with POSITIVE uplifting energy, you can be all alone and feel happy, even without any dates.

I know everyone agrees with that. But the thing is, it's not my fault if a place has bad negative energy that makes me feel like shit. And if Taiwan is making me feel like shit for reasons that are NOT my fault, then Taiwan IS THE PROBLEM, not me. Because it's sick, negative and had BAD ENERGY. It's like energy from an antimatter universe. It wants you to be WEAK and live in FEAR. You are not allowed to be yourself or be confident or assertive. No way. You know it too.

Otherwise, explain to me why those grown Turkish men managing the Turkish restaurant acted so weak and scared? Why did they have no confidence? Why did they act like shy little schoolboys with no social skills? It felt very awkward to talk to them. They acted like a gun was pointed at them or something. WTF? What the f**k was their problem?

Billy you are Turkish, can you tell me why? Obviously something in Taiwan's vibe must have f***ed them up and made them that way. Rock, what do you think? Why are you scared to say anything bad about Taiwan in this area? You've been to Taiwan and lived there for years. So you must know what I mean.

Momopi and Rock, let me ask you a question. Do you:

1. Not feel any negative vibes in Taiwan at all.
2. Or do you feel them but they don't affect you?
3. Or do you feel them but are afraid to be honest about it?

Which one? Be serious and genuine and honest please.

Are you claiming that I'm the only one that feels this way, or one of the few that do? If so how can that be? That's like saying "everyone thinks the sky is purple, only you think it's blue" which is like the Twilight Zone.

I'll bet that a lot of people feel this way about Taiwan, but either don't have the guts to say it, or can't find the words. Some Filipino girls in Taiwan told me that what I said about Taiwan is true, but they never could find the words to explain it before reading my words.

Onethousandknives, what do you think?

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why is Taiwan so unfriendly, lonely, alienating, cold, closed, repressed, negative, zombie-like, soul-draining, etc?

Post by Winston »

I know one factor going on is that my SELF-IMAGE is far higher than the image that Taiwanese have of me. They don't see me as worth their time or attention and don't need me. But I feel that I deserve to get attention like I do in Eastern Europe and Russia. So hence there's a big discrepancy.

That may be true. But the negative soul-draining vibe is a major factor as well. You see, when I'm in Manila or Makati, the people there are ignoring me too. But I don't feel like shit there or like a loser. The vibe there is still POSITIVE and makes me FEEL GOOD. So you can feel good even if people are ignoring you, as long as you are in a place with positive energy. Not self-hating negative energy. That's an important distinction there.

Atheists like @momopi keep forgetting this and never take it into account. Because they cannot feel energy and don't believe in it. Hence they have no idea what I'm talking about. The soulless cannot understand the soulful after all. Rock never addresses this either. I don't know why. But I cannot believe that no one feels this highly negative energy except me. Energy/feelings/vibes do not lie. They are real and true.

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why is Taiwan so unfriendly, lonely, alienating, cold, closed, repressed, negative, zombie-like, soul-draining, etc?

Post by momopi »

Not “vibing” where you are currently is a reason to vote with your feet and find greener pastures. Dwelling (speaking /writing about source of unhappines, anxiety, or dissatisfaction) on why you are not vibing, or socilitating “me too” responses ad naseum does not contribute to actually getting to greener pastures.
El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster

Post by El_Caudillo »

I see what you mean about the vibe in Taiwan, but the problem is you are taking it too personally. Taiwanese people didn't seem very interested in me either - although many times I thought it must be me, if I try to be objective I think that it was them. They are a tough nuts to crack in terms of making friends. I think Taiwan is, for all its superficial globalization, a very conservative place.

I don't presume to speak for Rock, but he has stated that he values Taipei for its efficiency - and you have to admit it's a well organised city. He too has said that Taiwan is no longer a great place if you want to try and date.

As for Momopi you are trying to get him to react to you in a way that is not natural for him, he's a practical, goal orientated guy, who is not given to navel gazing. I enjoy some navel gazing myself but I know that you can't make others do it.

When you talk about your trips to Russia and Eastern Europe you are guilty of Utopian thinking...remember that although it was good in some ways those countries also have many drawbacks. In the end Momopi is in fact right - how long will you stay in Taiwan this time? Why aren't you in Thailand or Vietnam. You'll probably say because those countries are not perfect for you (no deep discussions). Then I can ask why you aren't in Estonia or Lithuania right now? after all it's summer there...and so it goes on...
Even Billy knows that, just ask Mr S!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

@El_Caudillo,
Great points. What is navel gazing?

Well momopi is a lot more Taiwanese than we are, and that means he is indirect and not that logical, unlike Spock. lol. He is not a man who answers a direct question with a direct answer.

When you say conservative, I think you mean socially conservative right? Not politically. For example, Texas is a conservative right wing red state, but the people there are far more friendly and outgoing and good natured, than in a liberal state like California. So conservative does not mean antisocial. But of course it depends on the context and what you mean by that word. In Asia, being conservative means you don't talk to anyone outside of your little circle and you are very shy and private.

But how do people like Rock, Momopi and Monkro not notice the negative self-hating vibe in Taiwan? They must have felt it too. You cannot not notice it. It makes you feel weak, insecure, and not relaxed. Kind of like in high school where you felt like a loser and felt like shit if you weren't "cool and popular". Is it because they notice it but don't feel affected by it? Or they notice it but don't dare talk about it because it's taboo?

Or is it because I'm the only one that feels this way, and everyone else feels a positive uplifting vibe in Taiwan that makes them feel good? lol

I am in Taiwan only to get work done. Then I go to Thailand. But there's so much to keep up with. It's impossible. I still got important emails from 3 years ago to answer and I can't find time to get to it. I also have to fix our reputation on WebofTrust and deal with the slanderous statements there about me and threaten them for it, and other stuff, etc.

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

If you didn’t get to a task in 3 years, does it really matter if you try to attend to it now versus after a trip to Thailand?
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

Winston, first off, try Vietnam. Basically everyone I describe it to who has been to/lives in Taiwan (or one guy I know who's been to both...) says "Sounds like Taiwan in the 80s."

As far as the rest of everything... I felt nice and comfortable and safe in Taiwan, more than I've ever felt in my adult life. I'm poor and live in a semi-shithole (I say semi as it can get a lot worse than where I'm at within USA...) in USA and had one of my neighbors almost murdered recently, there's drugs everywhere, bill boards and radio commercials about heroin rehab, my family's house's exterior walls are all rotting out, electricity in the winter for heat can be $500 a month, and everything sucks. Taiwan, at least Taipei anyway, is a paradise by comparison, even if the people are a bit too into their phones or not immediately gushing with friendliness upon first meeting you. Meaningful social connection or not, it seems to be a much safer and better society for me currently, and I couldn't live in USA and get the same level of comfort and safety without having a lot more money.

At the end of the day, I'm not a psychologist or sociologist. I'm definitely an introverted person, but relatively outgoing, and relatively open as well. I think Taiwanese are mostly introverted. I think USA is very extroverted of a society, but paradoxically very fearful, anxious, etc, which causes people in USA to have a lot of issues with socialization. As far as introversion and connection, who knows. I guess like seeks like. I remember one girl I worked with, I talked to another friend about her and said "Oh yeah, she was great, we talked for a long while." And he was like "Wtf, nobody's ever gotten her to open up." So I think in that kind of regard, I might socially be able to break the ice of some of those more cold or closed seeming people. In USA, my problem is more people seemingly smiling, etc, but that have just complete contempt for you and you know it. A sort of weird half smile, not a real one.

You brought up Texas, and interestingly, I have a friend in Taiwan who wants to come back to USA but is fighting an immigration battle. He lived in Texas for a number of years and went to school there. Texas was his favorite state, and oddly he even says he did better dating in US than in Taiwan (which is surprising, actually.) But, he's a very very outgoing and extroverted kind of guy. I could see why he's not the best fit in Taiwan.

Anyway, went over before, I felt like I vibed well in Taiwan with everything. I hope to God I can be back there. I dealt with my mother getting cancer and some major house repairs these past two years. In the mean time, weirdly, I've strangely somewhat made peace with USA and the social issues. Doesn't mean I agree/like them all, but after getting back to USA I've done marginally better socially, but get a lot lot more girls flirting with me, even looking worse and being more overweight than before. The social issues, at the end of the day, I just accepted that other people were different than me, but that doesn't necessarily make them all idiots or wrong, I kind of look at things now like a foreigner and just let them and their culture be.

I think a lot too with Taiwan, I wanted to go to Japan and live in Japan when I was growing up, it was basically my life dream, my sort of escape fantasy land. Maybe that's common. Anyway, Taiwan now is kind of how I imagined Japan would be. One issue I had with Japan and Japanese are seemingly even more closed off than Taiwanese are. That's most foreigner's biggest complaints about Japan, how closed off everyone is, how quiet, etc. I don't really know 100% for certain as I've not been to Japan, but the complaints about how hard it is to make friends and relationships in Japan abound on the internet. Taiwan on the other hand, actually seems more outgoing and easygoing compared to Japan. So I felt like it was a sort of perfect mix for me before going, and from my brief time there, it felt like it was. Taiwanese to me, sort of...acted how I expected Japanese to act, without really any bad parts of it. So, as always in life, it's all about expectations.

Lastly, for extroverted cultures besides USA. For Vietnam, my bigger issues were sort of personal space and needing alone time, which my girlfriend, and her family, and seemingly the whole country has no concept of. And just needing time alone to recharge so to speak. Even though for the most part nobody was blatantly mean to me or anything, it was just too much for me. Just everything, everyone, being just too loud, nobody having an inside voice, etc. Instead of feeling more alive or coming out of my shell or whatever, I just felt really drained and just wanted to be alone.

EDIT:
https://www.16personalities.com/country ... lobal/asia
Here, Winston, Taiwan tests in the top 10 in the World as most introverted.
https://www.16personalities.com/country-profiles/taiwan

I test as an INTP, though have tested as ISTP and ISTJ before. What's your Meyers Brigg type, Winston?
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

At least the older Taiwanese rednecks in the south are very friendly and talkative.

The older Taiwanese in the US are totally "unfriendly, lonely, alienating, cold, closed, repressed, negative, zombie-like, soul-draining, etc." They are the stereotypical computer scientists and doctors who are corporate robots and soulless money-making machines.