$10 for beer in Thailand

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Banano
Veteran Poster

$10 for beer in Thailand

Post by Banano »

Full article
http://travelinasia.hubpages.com/hub/Russians-in-Phuket

[...]

The nightlife scene in Patong has also changed, with the opening of new Russian owned clubs employing Russian girls as "dancers", something that has been going on for years in Pattaya, but is quite new to Phuket. The last time I visited Phuket I saw Russian girls out in the street on Bangla Road, dressed in school girl uniforms, inviting tourists into the "Moulin Rouge". I decided to go in for one drink, just to see what all the fuss was about. I saw naked blonde Russian women all over the place, giving "not so private" dances. When I looked at the menu, I noticed that the cheapest beer would cost a staggering 10USD, so I decided to pass, and I just walked out

Question is are there yet?

I remember in 2006 Phuket was still relatively innocent, pure, there were not that many tourists, girls were much much friendlier towards farangs and seemed sweeter, everything was cheaper.

Is it just matter of time when some of these exotic destinations becomes just another distant memory?

I was there last year and women in clubs ask 50 bucks or more for short time...yes short time,I was inmediately turned off

we still like to think of Thai as cheap destination but I don't like what I'm seeing
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

I remember what Phuket was like in 94 & 96. I went back around 2001/02 and could hardly recognize the place. It had lost it's small charm by then in my opinion.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

Was it easy back in 94-96 to get chicks for free or was it always p4p type of fun
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

I was able to get bar chicks for free or near free but i was in the Navy and I was 20/22 I think at the time. There weren't too many younger guys there at the time so we were kinda like celebrities. Girls would attack me on the street and I would be gang rushed by them just walking around. It's what actually got me obsessed with going overseas and living in Asia. Thailand is like a drug when you come from the states where you didn't get any and the women could care less about you. I guess the easy sex and fantasy kept pushing me to go to Thailand many times to live out my sexual fantasies, then Philippines also. So I would say if you're under 25 and considered attractive then you could pull bar girls for free. The older and less attractive you are the more it will cost you.

They weren't all obsessed with just money back then either. The girls I met would take me back to their condo/apartment to stay the night and they actually had nice places to crash. When I was back in 2001 it was different. Girls were still interested in me but they wanted money. But I also got sucked into hanging around with just one really hot chick the whole time, which looking back I wish I hadn't, but I was desperate at the time to have a GF experience so she fit the bill for a few days. She did take me back to her place but it was quite different from the places I saw in the 90's. Lower end and more of a slum. I think the cost of living rose so high and the rents probably pushed more girls to live on the cheap.

I think the nice bar girl days are mainly over in Thailand. It's been totally corrupted. You will have to pay to play pretty much nowadays there. Make believe nice to you and all that, not genuine like before.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

'The older and less attractive you are the more it will cost you',+1

When the place gets swamped by tourists forget abt it, money comes and locals get greedy, they want more and offer less and I also blame stupid westernes for it, they dont know how to negotiate prices down as a rasult we have L.A prices in 3rd world country
green1976
Freshman Poster

Post by green1976 »

The only way for those who are seeking some kind of retro vibe,is to go to the countryside far away from all those over crowded touristic cities.

The downside it's that it won't be the Pattaya or Pukhet of before,but those places have lost all of their virginity and ladies there are more and more hardened becoming like western prostitutes as an example.

Prices are way up,the longtime become a shortime,the girlfriend experience is dying,places are runned over by sexually frustated males from all around the world seeking their pussies.

My first time in Pattaya was in 2008 and in only 4 years it got really worst.
Qualities of ladies going downhill,bar closing in Pattaya,the feeling of what was this town is disapearing.
It just becoming like a Bangkok.

Sill comparing with most of the p4p in this planet,hardly it will be better than Pattaya as an example,but still things are not as good as some few years ago.

As for myself,my time in Pattaya as a primary destination is over..i will still go to Thailand of course,but i will check all around the countryside watching for some fun but also to find a more serious relationship.

Once the females have gone to Pattaya,Phuket or wathever like this,they become quit corrupted, understanding the power they have between their legs, starting to play with that and losing any considerations or respect for a man.

This is what is happening everyday here in the West for example at various degrees and in Thailand this is just starting to become more and more real.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

I was never into the bar scene but from what i've seen Thailand has had multiple generations of whores. The current generation is probably the 4th generation dating back from the Vietnam era. These girls start really young (15-16 in some cases) and don't "retire" until they get married to some dumb ass western guy or earn enough which in most cases is never until they become unmarketable. With this latest generation of p4p girls Thailand has undergone rapid economic changes in the past decade. Living standards have increased. The middle class has probably doubled or tripled in the past 10 years. There is a lot of regional business investment (from China, Japan, and Singapore) that flows through Thailand. So the tourism industry is merely a bonus to the economy instead of being a large % of the GDP like it used to be. The result is that there's less incentive to get involved in p4p.

This change is reflected in the behavior and attitudes of Thais. Since 2005 when I first arrived I noticed many changes. A lot more Thais own cars now than before. It's also very common to see kids running around with iphones, ipads, laptops, and the like. In the last 5 years the Asian economies have still continued to grow while the western world has fallen off hard. I see more young western guys living in Thailand too whereas before most were just tourists. The exchange rate has really tanked since 2006 too. The dollar to baht is only 31 whereas in 2005-2006 it ranged from 39-42 baht to the dollar.

All these things have an impact. I don't think regular Thai girls' attitudes have become markedly worse though. The p4p scene may have been impacted but it's mostly due to economic changse.
ph_visitor
Freshman Poster

Post by ph_visitor »

Banano wrote:'The older and less attractive you are the more it will cost you',
You always pay, guys. Always. It's just that when you are younger the cost does not seem to matter.
When the place gets swamped by tourists forget about it, money comes and locals get greedy, they want more and offer less and I also blame stupid Westerners for it, they don't know how to negotiate prices down as a result we have L.A prices in 3rd world country
If you cannot compete with those who have the money and can spend it, then... :roll: