Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme


Help me choose a country for a sabbatical…

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

FlyingMoose
Freshman Poster
Posts: 67
Joined: April 14th, 2011, 4:42 pm

Help me choose a country for a sabbatical…

Post by FlyingMoose » May 27th, 2012, 8:21 pm

First of all, I've been to Angeles City a couple of times (though that was before I found this forum, or I would have tried to meet up with Winston and whoever else was around).

While the Philippines is nice, it has a number of disadvantages:

1. It's a shithole and the food sucks. Maybe there are nicer parts than AC, but still.
2. I don't find any of the women attractive (though I like almost all other Asians).
3. I'm an atheist, and they're all Catholic.

I think the main positive is that they speak english well; I was never good at learning foreign languages.

SO…

I'd like to choose a country like China, Vietnam, Thailand, or some other Asian country. I'll still consider the Philippines too. I think it would be cool to take a 6-12 month sabbatical to somewhere outside the US (and probably in Asia). I should theoretically be able to work over the internet (I still have to work out the details). I'm 33 and I've never been married (or even really had a girlfriend). Asian girls like me though, they say they feel "safe" with me, which I'm told is a compliment coming from an Asian. Also, my cousin recently got a girl pregnant, so how he has to pay child support for many years. I always thought he was the lucky one 'cause he could get girls, but I guess it didn't quite work out that way. I think my "energy" matches better with Asians.

BUT…

My biggest concern (and probably biggest problem getting chicks in the US) is that I don't drive, for a number of reasons. I have poor eyesight, and a lousy sense of direction (and some unknown genetic neurological difficulties; about half the people in my family can't drive either). So I also want a place where *I* feel safe. (note that I didn't go to AC alone, and I probably wouldn't want to). It would be nice to meet a girl online beforehand, even if she didn't end up being my girlfriend once I arrived. Many places would be cheap enough that I could even hire a driver if I wanted to, and a maid to cook and do laundry and stuff. I may also get a vasectomy before I go; I've never wanted kids, and I want to learn from others' mistakes and not get tied down with a kid in a foreign country (and there's no way I'd want to raise a kid in the US).

Someone posted a link to super-hot Vietnamese escorts and mentioned a monthly rate of $3,000. I don't know that I could afford this for the whole time, but maybe once.

It would also be nice if there was a place with things to do, so I wouldn't be sitting around all day, and of course a place I could actually stay 6-12 months legally.

WELL…

what do you guys think :?:

User avatar
xiongmao
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2661
Joined: March 9th, 2011, 6:09 pm
Location: London

Post by xiongmao » May 27th, 2012, 8:29 pm

$3000 for a Vietnamese escort. Ha ha ha, that's Western prices. $300 is more like it. Just go on Vietnam Cupid and you can get it for free.

Why would you want to drive in Asia? You could die in a horrible crash. Most Asians don't have cars. Big cities have metro systems, it's not like the prehistoric USA.

If you think Filipinas speak good English wait till you date some of China's university graduates.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.

FlyingMoose
Freshman Poster
Posts: 67
Joined: April 14th, 2011, 4:42 pm

Post by FlyingMoose » May 27th, 2012, 9:06 pm

xiongmao wrote:$3000 for a Vietnamese escort. Ha ha ha, that's Western prices. $300 is more like it. Just go on Vietnam Cupid and you can get it for free.

Why would you want to drive in Asia? You could die in a horrible crash. Most Asians don't have cars. Big cities have metro systems, it's not like the prehistoric USA.

If you think Filipinas speak good English wait till you date some of China's university graduates.
The $3,000 was for a whole month. You might be able to get an ugly maid for $300 a month. xD

I don't want to drive, that was my whole point. In other words, I'd prefer countries with better and safer public transportation.

pete98146
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1130
Joined: June 22nd, 2009, 4:31 pm

Post by pete98146 » May 27th, 2012, 10:12 pm

The first three cities that come to mind would be:

1. Bangkok. The Skytrain and subway system are linked together. You'd never had to drive! If I were staying in BKK, I'd live a ways away from Sukhumvit Road...maybe a mile or so out but still be within walking distance of the subway which links you with Sukhumvit Rd if you want to visit. I'd also relish the challenge of meeting a "good" Thai girl. Regardless of what country I chose, I'd be hitting the introduction sites and chatting with as many girls as possible.

2. Medellin Colombia. Probably top 5 for the worlds most beautiful women. Climate is around 78 degrees year round. Also wouldn't have to drive as they have one of the best bus sytems in the world. Fun place where people have a good blend of serious/party attitude. If I knew I was going to Medellin I'd practice salsa dancing which is epic in Colombia. I think if you can do it halfway decently you'll score right and left.

3. Nha Trang Vietnam. The place I'm investigating to retire. Super cheap with loads of beautiful women to meet. Nice medium sized city with 250-300k population so it's not too big. You'd be able to rent a scooter and get around easily. Traffic isn't too bad. Incredible food that can be purchased at the beach, on the streets or fancy restaurants. Quite a bit of P4P if you want it.

FlyingMoose
Freshman Poster
Posts: 67
Joined: April 14th, 2011, 4:42 pm

Post by FlyingMoose » May 27th, 2012, 10:34 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, those all sound good. I don't think I'd really want to drive a scooter either, are there other alternatives in Vietnam?

davewe
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1433
Joined: July 27th, 2011, 3:21 am

Re: Help me choose a country for a sabbatical…

Post by davewe » May 27th, 2012, 10:36 pm

FlyingMoose wrote:First of all, I've been to Angeles City a couple of times (though that was before I found this forum, or I would have tried to meet up with Winston and whoever else was around).

While the Philippines is nice, it has a number of disadvantages:

1. It's a shithole and the food sucks. Maybe there are nicer parts than AC, but still.
2. I don't find any of the women attractive (though I like almost all other Asians).
3. I'm an atheist, and they're all Catholic.

I think the main positive is that they speak english well; I was never good at learning foreign languages.

SO…

I'd like to choose a country like China, Vietnam, Thailand, or some other Asian country. I'll still consider the Philippines too. I think it would be cool to take a 6-12 month sabbatical to somewhere outside the US (and probably in Asia). I should theoretically be able to work over the internet (I still have to work out the details). I'm 33 and I've never been married (or even really had a girlfriend). Asian girls like me though, they say they feel "safe" with me, which I'm told is a compliment coming from an Asian. Also, my cousin recently got a girl pregnant, so how he has to pay child support for many years. I always thought he was the lucky one 'cause he could get girls, but I guess it didn't quite work out that way. I think my "energy" matches better with Asians.

BUT…

My biggest concern (and probably biggest problem getting chicks in the US) is that I don't drive, for a number of reasons. I have poor eyesight, and a lousy sense of direction (and some unknown genetic neurological difficulties; about half the people in my family can't drive either). So I also want a place where *I* feel safe. (note that I didn't go to AC alone, and I probably wouldn't want to). It would be nice to meet a girl online beforehand, even if she didn't end up being my girlfriend once I arrived. Many places would be cheap enough that I could even hire a driver if I wanted to, and a maid to cook and do laundry and stuff. I may also get a vasectomy before I go; I've never wanted kids, and I want to learn from others' mistakes and not get tied down with a kid in a foreign country (and there's no way I'd want to raise a kid in the US).

Someone posted a link to super-hot Vietnamese escorts and mentioned a monthly rate of $3,000. I don't know that I could afford this for the whole time, but maybe once.

It would also be nice if there was a place with things to do, so I wouldn't be sitting around all day, and of course a place I could actually stay 6-12 months legally.

WELL…

what do you guys think :?:
I would also seriously consider Vietnam. Great food, places to visit culturally, not expensive, and very beautiful women. I was mostly in Saigon in December and not only don't you have to drive - you don't want to drive.

Pete likes Nha Trang. I wasn't there but heard nice things. It certainly has become a big tourist destination. DOnt know how that impacts prices.

The other negative for me is the lack of English. I don't mean most don't speak English well - I mean most don't speak any English. Getting into a cab and saying the name of your hotel and expecting the cab driver to know, or going into a restaurant and asking a basic menu question - forget it. But for me that was part of the adventure.

User avatar
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3047
Joined: November 30th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Post by publicduende » May 28th, 2012, 12:38 am

pete98146 wrote:The first three cities that come to mind would be:
2. Medellin Colombia. Probably top 5 for the worlds most beautiful women. Climate is around 78 degrees year round. Also wouldn't have to drive as they have one of the best bus sytems in the world. Fun place where people have a good blend of serious/party attitude. If I knew I was going to Medellin I'd practice salsa dancing which is epic in Colombia. I think if you can do it halfway decently you'll score right and left.
LOL I was going to post my slice of advice about joining the rumba in Medellin, Colombia, then I saw you got that spot first. Not a bad sign, as Colombia wasn't even considered a viable tourist destination 10 years ago! I've been to Medellin, albeit only for a few days: my wife is from there and that's where I got married! :) It's a very lively city, with a gorgeous weather, lots of things to see and do both day and night, excellent job opportunities for expats (I work in IT, and the landscape looks more promising than many other LatAm destinations). It's also much safer than many think, so long one isn't dumb enough to venture into the barrios, unaccompanied and in the middle of the night. The Metro and bus systems are very good, yet stop working before midnight. After then, a taxi is always the best option, especially if you have one too many aguardiente in your system.

More than dancing salsa, the key to live in Medellin is speak good Spanish, as there's an incredible number of ladies who are smart enough to engage in incredible conversations, and you really don't want to miss connecting intellectually as well as physically.

pete98146
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1130
Joined: June 22nd, 2009, 4:31 pm

Post by pete98146 » May 28th, 2012, 1:15 am

FlyingMoose wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, those all sound good. I don't think I'd really want to drive a scooter either, are there other alternatives in Vietnam?
Oh I'm sure there are buses and cabs available as are cyclo taxis. Cool thing about Asia is they have plenty of motorcycle taxis too. Pennies on the dollar to hop on the back of a motorcycle and they'll take you to your destination. I also think it's safe and amall enough to do a lot of walking or riding a bike.

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 7875
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Re: Help me choose a country for a sabbatical…

Post by Jester » May 28th, 2012, 2:33 am

FlyingMoose wrote:First of all, I've been to Angeles City a couple of times (though that was before I found this forum, or I would have tried to meet up with Winston and whoever else was around).

While the Philippines is nice, it has a number of disadvantages:

1. It's a shithole and the food sucks. Maybe there are nicer parts than AC, but still.
2. I don't find any of the women attractive (though I like almost all other Asians).
3. I'm an atheist, and they're all Catholic.

I think the main positive is that they speak english well; I was never good at learning foreign languages.

SO…

I'd like to choose a country like China, Vietnam, Thailand, or some other Asian country. I'll still consider the Philippines too. I think it would be cool to take a 6-12 month sabbatical to somewhere outside the US (and probably in Asia). I should theoretically be able to work over the internet (I still have to work out the details). I'm 33 and I've never been married (or even really had a girlfriend). Asian girls like me though, they say they feel "safe" with me, which I'm told is a compliment coming from an Asian. Also, my cousin recently got a girl pregnant, so how he has to pay child support for many years. I always thought he was the lucky one 'cause he could get girls, but I guess it didn't quite work out that way. I think my "energy" matches better with Asians.

BUT…

My biggest concern (and probably biggest problem getting chicks in the US) is that I don't drive, for a number of reasons. I have poor eyesight, and a lousy sense of direction (and some unknown genetic neurological difficulties; about half the people in my family can't drive either). So I also want a place where *I* feel safe. (note that I didn't go to AC alone, and I probably wouldn't want to). It would be nice to meet a girl online beforehand, even if she didn't end up being my girlfriend once I arrived. Many places would be cheap enough that I could even hire a driver if I wanted to, and a maid to cook and do laundry and stuff. I may also get a vasectomy before I go; I've never wanted kids, and I want to learn from others' mistakes and not get tied down with a kid in a foreign country (and there's no way I'd want to raise a kid in the US).

Someone posted a link to super-hot Vietnamese escorts and mentioned a monthly rate of $3,000. I don't know that I could afford this for the whole time, but maybe once.

It would also be nice if there was a place with things to do, so I wouldn't be sitting around all day, and of course a place I could actually stay 6-12 months legally.

WELL…

what do you guys think :?:
For safety, plus English-speaking Chinese girls, plus a culture that does not expect you to drive, plus women who don't want kids, I was thinking Singapore. Escorts abound.

3-month stay, then out one week, then back.

Permanent residency requires around $50k investable I think.

Kuala Lumpur Malaysia has similar strengths, though a little less safe. English-speaking, 90 day visa runs, people hire maids and drivers, often Indonesian or other. No bank account though, need to live from ATM's and credit cards.

OTOH....

for things to do and see... your big year abroad....

I would think China, Vietnam, Japan. Safe enough, full of sights and places to visit. Screw the English-speaking, just see sights and enjoy yourself. Can't drive? No problem. Everybody knows Asians can't drive!

:wink:

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 7875
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Post by Jester » May 28th, 2012, 2:34 am

Oh and wherever it is.... post some pics when u get there!!!!!!!!!
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."

green1976
Freshman Poster
Posts: 373
Joined: September 8th, 2011, 10:24 pm

Post by green1976 » May 28th, 2012, 3:09 am

If you plan to get somewhere in Asia having a girlfriend and the availability to choose quit easily,you should avoid places like Singapore,HK,SK,East Asia in general minus some parts of China and some Muslim countries.

Don't want to drive,even a motorcycle,is not a good point.
Besides being in a capital where public transportation can be found,going elsewhere be it the countryside or a provincial city,you will be for sure very limited in what you can do.

I wouldn't choose BKK if i had to stay in Thailand.
It's still a nice city but quit polluted,overcrowded and not so relaxing.

In Thailand as far as i know you can find a way to stay in Pattaya or in Hua Hin without having your transportation.

Still Pattaya is what it is and Hua Hin has less the beer bar vibes but it doesn't got a correct ratings in my book because i found there some kind of stuck up Thais from BKK who thinks they are the cream of the cream of Thai people.

3000 bucks covering the monthly expense of a prostitute is sill a joke in my book.

I can easily find a 300 bucks per month willing Thai lady,young and quit attractive from poor background of course,to take care of me ranging from sex to housecleaning and so on.

It could be 300 bucks handed hand to hand or a more discrete take care approach where i would paid for her the food,the parties and buy some stuff.

In the second case, it will be more like a true girlfriend,and this is the basic cost of what could be the expense i could afford and what i should be able to find.

User avatar
xiongmao
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2661
Joined: March 9th, 2011, 6:09 pm
Location: London

Post by xiongmao » May 30th, 2012, 5:31 pm

Chiang Mai is popular with the laptop brigade. The wifi is cheap and the women are pretty.

It's also cheap and you could spend a year or two there for very little cash.

Vietnam is another option but I've heard a lot of bad things about it, especially women and scams. The Cantonese don't think very highly of their neighbors.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.

pete98146
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1130
Joined: June 22nd, 2009, 4:31 pm

Post by pete98146 » May 30th, 2012, 6:32 pm

xiongmao wrote:Chiang Mai is popular with the laptop brigade. The wifi is cheap and the women are pretty.

It's also cheap and you could spend a year or two there for very little cash.

Vietnam is another option but I've heard a lot of bad things about it, especially women and scams. The Cantonese don't think very highly of their neighbors.
CM is a cool place but it's fairly spread out. I remember getting into numerous arguments with the "taxi mafia" over their high cab rates. Phuket and CM were the two cities with outrageous cab fares. Suppose you could live right in the middle of downtown and walk around. Don't know if CM is the best place for anybody that doesn't want to drive or utilize a motorbike. Aside from that, it's a great place!

FlyingMoose
Freshman Poster
Posts: 67
Joined: April 14th, 2011, 4:42 pm

Post by FlyingMoose » May 31st, 2012, 1:28 am

Thanks to everyone who replied so far.

I guess there's really no suitable city that's easy to get around without driving, except maybe Bangkok.

Do any other cities come to mind which have a similar quality of transportation infrastructure?

User avatar
xiongmao
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2661
Joined: March 9th, 2011, 6:09 pm
Location: London

Post by xiongmao » June 2nd, 2012, 8:56 pm

Guangzhou has 15 metro lines now (!). Yeah, that's more than NYC.

Central Gz (as the locals call it) is fairly compact and most expats live in Tianhe or the other side of the river. Other areas are further out, but you're gonna have to put up with a few more roaches.

The bus network is similarly extensive. You might need a date to help you read the bus timetables, but there's no shortage of women in Gz.

No other city in the world could probably offer you as much in the way of crazy experiences. I guess Bangkok is crazier, but everybody goes there.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand”