Welcome to our new upgraded phpbb 3.2 forum! The upgrade is now complete. See announcement and new features here, or report any problems or issues here. Thanks for your patience.



Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Moving to Thailand. I need advice please.

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Post Reply
Cyrus
Freshman Poster
Posts: 79
Joined: February 4th, 2009, 7:14 am

Moving to Thailand. I need advice please.

Post by Cyrus » August 22nd, 2012, 10:05 pm

Hey everybody,

I recently landed a sort-of "dream job" in Pattaya for 6 months. It's still 9-5, but it should kick quite a bit of ass. That being said, this is an interesting location to land myself in, and I thought about this forum, and became excited about the prospect of being a high-value western guy in Asia. But I've done some research on Thailand, Pattaya in particular, and I get the sense the majority of women are either prostitutes, or pseudo-prostitutes where money is still expected in exchange for their companionship.

The problem is, I'm not a big fan of prostitutes. I don't like paying for affection. I like the "real thing". The vast majority of guys go to Thailand seeking easy sex in exchange for a bit money, and I have no doubt I am going to be continually harassed by Thai bar girls.

But does anyone have any tips for meeting real Thai women? Is it possible? Are they interested in western men? Is it even possible to have a hot Thai girlfriend in a place like Pattaya without the expectations of paying her?

wineguy
Freshman Poster
Posts: 10
Joined: June 23rd, 2012, 8:23 pm
Location: California, USA

Post by wineguy » August 22nd, 2012, 10:20 pm

In my early 20's and already taken 6 separate trips to Pattaya, and been with both "prostitutes" as well as girls who do not expect money. If you want "the real thing", my advice to you is to go spend weekend in Chiang Mai, where there are a lot of university students and recently graduated girls. Up there it's a lot more.. well.. normal, but it's still very easy to get dates with the locals.

If you don't want to do that and you're stuck in Pattaya, chat up the girls working in hair salons, banks, hotel reception, grocery stores, etc. Don't be shy, they generally love the attention. I'm not a great looking guy and I've never once been turned down or got a negative reaction when asking a girl for a date in Thailand. Smile, laugh, be respectful and nice. It's really that simple. If you're looking for the real thing, the last thing you want to do is get involved with a bar girl.

I hope this helped. Cheers.
"When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat." -George Carlin

"The world is a book, and those who don't travel read only a page." -St. Augustine

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -Muhammad Ali

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4561
Joined: October 4th, 2007, 5:33 am

Re: Moving to Thailand. I need advice please.

Post by zboy1 » August 22nd, 2012, 11:13 pm

Cyrus wrote:Hey everybody,

I recently landed a sort-of "dream job" in Pattaya for 6 months. It's still 9-5, but it should kick quite a bit of ass. That being said, this is an interesting location to land myself in, and I thought about this forum, and became excited about the prospect of being a high-value western guy in Asia. But I've done some research on Thailand, Pattaya in particular, and I get the sense the majority of women are either prostitutes, or pseudo-prostitutes where money is still expected in exchange for their companionship.

The problem is, I'm not a big fan of prostitutes. I don't like paying for affection. I like the "real thing". The vast majority of guys go to Thailand seeking easy sex in exchange for a bit money, and I have no doubt I am going to be continually harassed by Thai bar girls.

But does anyone have any tips for meeting real Thai women? Is it possible? Are they interested in western men? Is it even possible to have a hot Thai girlfriend in a place like Pattaya without the expectations of paying her?


Lucky bastard! Say hi to Repatriate for me when your in Thailand. I miss his presence on this forum since he and Winston got into a little scuffle a while ago and left the forum.

User avatar
CerealKiller
Freshman Poster
Posts: 136
Joined: August 24th, 2012, 5:23 am

Re: Moving to Thailand. I need advice please.

Post by CerealKiller » August 25th, 2012, 5:44 am

zboy1 wrote:
Cyrus wrote:Hey everybody,

I recently landed a sort-of "dream job" in Pattaya for 6 months. It's still 9-5, but it should kick quite a bit of ass. That being said, this is an interesting location to land myself in, and I thought about this forum, and became excited about the prospect of being a high-value western guy in Asia. But I've done some research on Thailand, Pattaya in particular, and I get the sense the majority of women are either prostitutes, or pseudo-prostitutes where money is still expected in exchange for their companionship.

The problem is, I'm not a big fan of prostitutes. I don't like paying for affection. I like the "real thing". The vast majority of guys go to Thailand seeking easy sex in exchange for a bit money, and I have no doubt I am going to be continually harassed by Thai bar girls.

But does anyone have any tips for meeting real Thai women? Is it possible? Are they interested in western men? Is it even possible to have a hot Thai girlfriend in a place like Pattaya without the expectations of paying her?


Lucky bastard! Say hi to Repatriate for me when your in Thailand. I miss his presence on this forum since he and Winston got into a little scuffle a while ago and left the forum.


Oh he left? That kinda blows. Yeah I read some of those threads, and towards the end Winnie seemed to be dropping the f-bomb almost every other word. Was a bit surprised, but I guess I shoulda seen it coming.

I'm currently 100% entrenched in the culture here in Thailand, and don't see that changing too soon.

That said, since arriving here I've taken plenty of side trips to almost every country in the region - including the Indian subcontinent. But still... doubt I'll be leaving this country anytime soon. Heh.

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3606
Joined: September 6th, 2007, 7:30 pm

Post by ladislav » August 26th, 2012, 12:14 am

What visas are available for long term stay in Thailand and how expensive/easy are they?
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 7875
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Post by Jester » August 26th, 2012, 12:51 am

Near as I can tell from a little surfing (anyone please correct this with better info):

Long stay visa is one way - retirement - over 55 - about $30,000USD in baht in the bank - here's a link
http://www.guidetothailand.com/thailand ... y-visa.php


OR
a one-year stay as a student
http://www.istayphuket.com/phuket-visa-run


OR
a tourist visa, with 90 day back to back runs forever:
http://www.domesticflightsthailand.com/ ... stVisa.htm
"The closest countries where tourist visas can be obtained are Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia and Singapore. The details of the Thai embassies for these countries are listed below. Several budget airlines offer cheap flights to these destinations. You apply at the embassy for the visa, usually costing around $50 US. This will give you a 60 day stay, which can then be extended at a Thailand immigration office (found in all major Thai cities), for an extra 30 days (currently costing 1900 Baht. To do this and get the maximum out of your visa, you need to apply for the extension on the day the visa is due to expire.

After this set of 90 days expires you are then eligible for 3 more visas on arrival, or another Tourist visa from outside the country."

OR
a business visa...
$2,500USD a year -- still requires visa runs just like a tourist visa, but checking account can be opened and you can do business locally
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."

polya
Junior Poster
Posts: 850
Joined: January 9th, 2008, 8:21 am

Post by polya » August 26th, 2012, 6:34 am

Jester wrote:Near as I can tell from a little surfing (anyone please correct this with better info):

Long stay visa is one way - retirement - over 55 - about $30,000USD in baht in the bank - here's a link
http://www.guidetothailand.com/thailand ... y-visa.php


OR
a one-year stay as a student
http://www.istayphuket.com/phuket-visa-run


OR
a tourist visa, with 90 day back to back runs forever:
http://www.domesticflightsthailand.com/ ... stVisa.htm
"The closest countries where tourist visas can be obtained are Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia and Singapore. The details of the Thai embassies for these countries are listed below. Several budget airlines offer cheap flights to these destinations. You apply at the embassy for the visa, usually costing around $50 US. This will give you a 60 day stay, which can then be extended at a Thailand immigration office (found in all major Thai cities), for an extra 30 days (currently costing 1900 Baht. To do this and get the maximum out of your visa, you need to apply for the extension on the day the visa is due to expire.

After this set of 90 days expires you are then eligible for 3 more visas on arrival, or another Tourist visa from outside the country."

OR
a business visa...
$2,500USD a year -- still requires visa runs just like a tourist visa, but checking account can be opened and you can do business locally


I remember reading Thailand has passed laws to whip/flagellate over-stayers. Also, the Phillippine Govt is outraged as their citizens go there to work as maids, etc.
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 7875
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Post by Jester » August 26th, 2012, 8:58 am

polya wrote:
I remember reading Thailand has passed laws to whip/flagellate over-stayers. Also, the Phillippine Govt is outraged as their citizens go there to work as maids, etc.


Maybe you meant Singapore. This apparently occurred there in 1995.

User avatar
CerealKiller
Freshman Poster
Posts: 136
Joined: August 24th, 2012, 5:23 am

Post by CerealKiller » August 26th, 2012, 9:07 am

polya wrote:I remember reading Thailand has passed laws to whip/flagellate over-stayers. Also, the Phillippine Govt is outraged as their citizens go there to work as maids, etc.


Whipping guys who overstay in Thailand would not be recommended. That would only encourage them to stay longer! :wink:

ringspun
Freshman Poster
Posts: 225
Joined: February 17th, 2012, 10:31 pm
Location: London

Post by ringspun » September 23rd, 2012, 7:17 pm

Ok, its like this... the girls who work the bar's are all pretty much on the program in one way or another...

However it is very possible to meet a girl who is working in one of the many Mall's or retail outlets which are in abundance in the area, here you could find a nice girl for sure, however they will expect you to pay for everything thats for sure... you can even pay her boss for time off.

Post Reply

Return to “Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand”