Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

The Philippines: The world's budget English teacher

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby momopi » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:21 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20066890

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Special Offer! FREE 6 Month Membership on ForeignWomen.com! Sign up here.

Find Your Foreign Sweetheart Now! Try our international Dating Sites and Overseas Romance Tours!

Postby Mr S » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:29 pm

The main problem with English in Philippines is the mediocrity level of it that is considered acceptable by most locals for the most part. You can come here to study just fine from non-English speaking countries but you cannot learn higher than intermediate level for the most part. Those needing a 7 or above on the IELTS test will struggle unless they can get personalized tutoring from a native speaker or high level educated Filipino. The English training institutes rarely can get students to get 7 and higher from my own experience.

Most educated Filipinos fall within the 5.5-6.5 band range, which is okay for basic and general communication but it is far from being higher level in comparison to native or higher skilled English speakers.

This is why IELTS makes so much money in PI, many locals have to take the test multiple times to pass and be able to qualify for a visa to an Anglo Western country.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Postby xiongmao » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:31 am

Yeah, good article. I met my current Filipino FB friends because they taught English to my Japanese gf.

Of course Filipinos teaching English is a bit of an oxymoron, but then again BAD English is the fastest growing language on the planet.

Any of you guys who are in the Phillies can probably make $$$$ by setting up a cheap language school and teach English to people from Africa, gulf states, etc.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby Jester » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:20 pm

xiongmao wrote:Yeah, good article. I met my current Filipino FB friends because they taught English to my Japanese gf.

Of course Filipinos teaching English is a bit of an oxymoron, but then again BAD English is the fastest growing language on the planet.

Any of you guys who are in the Phillies can probably make $$$$ by setting up a cheap language school and teach English to people from Africa, gulf states, etc.

!!!!!!!!!!
:idea:
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand