Telling Different Asians Apart

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Telling Different Asians Apart

Post by ladislav »

This chart in not complete, but it covers the most common types of Asians.

A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Are Korean women really that bad looking?
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

abcdavid01 wrote:Are Korean women really that bad looking?
Yeah, they are probably the least overall attractive NE Asians, except perhaps the Mongolian/Siberian looking ones.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

It's a mistake to try to distinguish looks by nationality. The trick is to try to distinguish looks by region.

The main division is Northeast Asian vs. Southeast Asian (Rock and L Yakuza are right). Chinese people in Manchuria are phenotypically like Koreans, since much of northeast China was really just part of Korea in the past. Chinese people in Yunnan, Guizhou, and Guangxi provinces would resemble many people in Burma, Laos, and Vietnam. In the past, that was all considered to be the southern frontier of China. Throughout history, Guangxi, Guangdong, and northern Vietnam had often been part of the same administrative polity.

Some Japanese also have a unique "Jomon" look, characterized by sharper or deeper-set features, and often also darker skin. Then many others would be physically more like Koreans, Manchus, or Siberians.

Of the three, only Koreans can actually be distinguished apart, since they have a very specific look due a limited gene pool. Think of it in terms of a Venn diagram, where the Koreans occupy a small circle. Some Japanese and northeastern Chinese can look like Koreans (a very specific look). But Koreans don't ever look Southeast Asian.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Falcon wrote:It's a mistake to try to distinguish looks by nationality. The trick is to try to distinguish looks by region.
Bravo! A very good point. I think we can do first- region, then we can narrow it down to nationality.
While in Japan there is a Siberian + Korean look, there is now a unique Japanese look - because they have been isolated for so long- they have mutated. The washi-bana- eagle nose is not common anywhere else in Asia. The same goes for a certain shape of body - the Japanese now do have a Japanese body. It takes time to develop an eye for it.
Incidentally, the Yunnan people have SE Asian features possibly because of Indian admixture.
Indian + Chinese = Thai.
Last edited by ladislav on December 13th, 2012, 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Falcon wrote:It's a mistake to try to distinguish looks by nationality. The trick is to try to distinguish looks by region.

The main division is Northeast Asian vs. Southeast Asian (Rock and L Yakuza are right). Chinese people in Manchuria are phenotypically like Koreans, since much of northeast China was really just part of Korea in the past. Chinese people in Yunnan, Guizhou, and Guangxi provinces would resemble many people in Burma, Laos, and Vietnam. In the past, that was all considered to be the southern frontier of China. Throughout history, Guangxi, Guangdong, and northern Vietnam had often been part of the same administrative polity.

Some Japanese also have a unique "Jomon" look, characterized by sharper or deeper-set features, and often also darker skin. Then many others would be physically more like Koreans, Manchus, or Siberians.

Of the three, only Koreans can actually be distinguished apart, since they have a very specific look due a limited gene pool. Think of it in terms of a Venn diagram, where the Koreans occupy a small circle. Some Japanese and northeastern Chinese can look like Koreans (a very specific look). But Koreans don't ever look Southeast Asian.
One more very real variable to throw into the equation - cosmetic surgery. A huge number of young, not so young, and even older Korean women have gone under the knife in some ways in the last decade. Seoul's Kangnam area (same area portrayed in Gangnam Style) is full of cosmetic surgery hospitals and clinics. You see them all over the place there, some occupying whole buildings 10-20 stories high. What do they do? Many shave down those characteristic square jaw bones and weaken jaw muscles to taper face, and/or big up the eyes by cutting down the malar bones and performing special asian eyelid surgeries. So nowadays, you see many urban Korean women with compact triangular shaped faces, biggish eyes (sometimes to the point of being doll like), and very slim builds.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Mr S wrote:
Yeah, they are probably the least overall attractive NE Asians, except perhaps the Mongolian/Siberian looking ones.
Are you kidding? Ullan Batar has a relatively high percentage of local stunners and you can also find some smoking hot Mongolians in Beijing and certain areas of northern China. Mongolian women also demonstrate a lot of diversity in look but really, many are cute, attractive, or hot.

As for Koreans, yes, extreme Korean features are not attractive (squarish jaws and oversized faces). But I think that look is not so typical and you do see a lot of very attractive Korean girls in the more upscale areas of urban S. Korea. And for every stunner you see in Manila, I bet you could easily find over 100 in Seoul, lol.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Your knowledge here is deeper than mine. But it certainly seems to agree with what I've observed on visits to say Guangxi and Vietnam vs. Heilongjiang or S. Korea vs. rest of Asia.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

Rock wrote:
Mr S wrote:
Are you kidding? Ullan Batar has a relatively high percentage of local stunners and you can also find some smoking hot Mongolians in Beijing and certain areas of northern China. Mongolian women also demonstrate a lot of diversity in look but really, many are cute, attractive, or hot.

As for Koreans, yes, extreme Korean features are not attractive (squarish jaws and oversized faces). But I think that look is not so typical and you do see a lot of very attractive Korean girls in the more upscale areas of urban S. Korea. And for every stunner you see in Manila, I bet you could easily find over 100 in Seoul, lol.

wow,do Koreans dig westerners?
How easy/approachable are they, ?
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

People in southern China can often have northern phenotypes due to historic mass migrations from the north. However, southerners hardly ever moved north, so you will hardly ever see southern phenotypes in the north, unless they're recent migrants from the south who have moved within the past few decades.

If you get on a bus in many parts of rural Guangxi or Yunnan, you'll notice that nearly everyone will have obviously SE Asian features and SE Asian-type dark skin, even the kids. When the young kids also have really tan skin, that means it's inherited and not all acquired. You'll have to get out of Nanning, Kunming, and the other prefecture-level cities to see that. Here's a typical look from western Guangxi, which has a lot of ethnic Zhuang people. Their languages are closely related to Lao and Thai.

Notice the contrast with the woman on the ad, which would be a more central look (like Shanghai or Jiangsu).

The Han-dynasty era Nanyue Kingdom (Nam Việt) included present-day Guangdong, Guangxi, and Vietnam. Most of the indigenous people there would have been Thai/Tai peoples.

Last edited by Falcon on December 13th, 2012, 12:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Present-day Japanese are actually a mix of Jomon and Yayoi peoples. The Yayois were supposed to have migrated from the Korean peninsula in many waves, starting a few thousand years ago.

Left side: Jomon (aboriginal Japanese)
Right side: Yayoi (Neolithic migrants from the Korean Peninsula)

Jomon look, which Ainus and some modern Japanese have (note that this is not Southeast Asian either):

lone_yakuza
Freshman Poster

Post by lone_yakuza »

Last edited by lone_yakuza on November 20th, 2016, 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Rock wrote:
Mr S wrote:

No I'm not kidding. I use to live there and visited most of the major cities. There's only a small percentage of natural 'attractive' women in Korea. (I don't count plastic surgery) However, your tastes in women are probably different from mine so what you find ugly/attractive is probably opposite of what I would consider. I generally find the average Korean women to be unattractive and the whole time I lived there I probably could count the number of attractive women on my hand. But generally I prefer SE Asian looking women on the mainland and mixed types on the islands over NE Asian, except for maybe some Japanese women look okay and parts of China closer to SE Asia, but there are more of them that are beautiful then there are Korean women that's for sure. Korean women have the worst hips, tits and legs I've seen on women, other than perhaps true non-mixed Malay's and Papua New Guinea area, which their women are quite hideous for the most part in all areas.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

now on this thread i definitaly can see the rare quality of HA posters. thanks guys. very interesting :)
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I was in Istanbul in 2010 and struck a conversation with a Turkish tour guide. He told me that recently he had a group of Chinese tourists. Because there is no PC in Turkey, at a gathering with them, he asked them: "You guys all look the same. You Chinese people". "How do you distinguish each other?"

The Chinese looked at him and protested:

No, no, no! We all look different. It is you people who look the same.

Who us?

'You Turkish people'.
'You Arab people'.
'You American people'.

'You are the ones who all look the same!'

That was their answer.