Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

29th Harbin International Ice and Snow Festival

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

29th Harbin International Ice and Snow Festival

Postby momopi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:16 pm

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Jester » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:25 am

I saw the one you posted on another thread an was quite amazed. I've seen ice sculptures at Penn State in State College, Pennsyvania, and also in Quebec. None were like these.

The colored, lighted structures are actually mae from ice?

How long has this been going on?
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby momopi » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:01 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbin_Int ... e_Festival

The annual Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival (Chinese: 哈尔滨国际冰雪节; pinyin: Hā'ěrbīn Guójì Bīngxuě Jié) has been held since 1963. It had been interrupted for a number of years during the Cultural Revolution but had been resumed by 1985.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Jester » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:12 am

momopi wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbin_International_Ice_and_Snow_Sculpture_Festival

The annual Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival (Chinese: 哈尔滨国际冰雪节; pinyin: Hā'ěrbīn Guójì Bīngxuě Jié) has been held since 1963. It had been interrupted for a number of years during the Cultural Revolution but had been resumed by 1985.

:shock:

Amazing how filtered my preconceptions are.

I suspect that I would know more about the world if I had never read a newspaper or turned on a television.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby momopi » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:31 am

Since ice sculptures melt and this kind of festival can only be seasonal, there's a certain beauty in its impermanence. The beauty can only be enjoyed in the moment that is "now" and no amount of photos or videos will ever match the experience of being there in-person.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Jester » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:44 am

momopi wrote:Since ice sculptures melt and this kind of festival can only be seasonal, there's a certain beauty in its impermanence. The beauty can only be enjoyed in the moment that is "now" and no amount of photos or videos will ever match the experience of being there in-person.

Message noted.

;)
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand