Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Living in Asia on $40,000 USD

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Living in Asia on $40,000 USD

Postby sartorisrex » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:45 pm

Hello. Im in my twenties and was thinking of moving over to asia for a year or possibly more from the US. I like asian women and wouldnt mind a change of pace at the moment. I was thinking I might teach English. I have about $40,000 USD in annual income after taxes that is all passive from real estate investments. I don't really want to spend all of it though. Could I live like a king somewhere surrounded by beautiful women?
sartorisrex
Freshman Poster

Postby pete98146 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:05 pm

Hello Sartoris,

Welcome to the forum. You'll probably get a varied responses from guys on this forum. Some prefer women from Northern Asia, some Southern Asia. If I were in your shoes, I'd look for a town that does NOT feature professional working girls. There are several cool cities in Philippines that might appeal to you. I'm going to recommend Chiang Mai Thailand to you. It's way up north but yet it's the second biggest city in Thailand. You should be able to live their for a year on a student visa or working visa if you are teaching. You can live handsomely on $1000 a month and you should be able to meet plenty of nice women up there.

Here's a video from Retirecheapasia.com. JC shows you a decent studio for a budget price. If I were to choose a spot, that would be it!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omRS4RwU ... g&index=63

As a point of reference.....30 Bhat = One US Dollar.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Re: Living in Asia on $40,000 USD

Postby momopi » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:15 am

sartorisrex wrote:Hello. Im in my twenties and was thinking of moving over to Asia for a year or possibly more from the US. I like Asian women and wouldn't mind a change of pace at the moment. I was thinking I might teach English. I have about $40,000 USD in annual income after taxes that is all passive from real estate investments. I don't really want to spend all of it though. Could I live like a king somewhere surrounded by beautiful women?

I think the guys on this board would gain from your knowledge of how to generate $40k/year after-tax from income properties in your 20's!

Rather than asking, you should consider traveling across Asia to find where you like to live. Do not depend on others for hearsay.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby jboy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:42 am

You can travel to 6-12 asian destinations and stay a month or two at each place for a year on $40,000. I won't say you'll live like a king but you can do it comfortably if you are sensible on spending habits. Example, stay for a night at Shangrila Makati Philippines for $365 or stay at a fully furnished posh Makati condo in the Philippines for $1000 a month. Its possible to travel and be all over asia for that amount a year but you cannot expect to live like a king. It would be better to live modestly and see 6-12 asian destinations for you to see where you can fit better and where the local girls would be right up your alley, bonus on living modestly is you get to get a real feel of the place and you'd avoid materialistic shallow women. Contrary to popular belief, superficial and materialistic women are not exclusive to the west, they are all over the east as well, just more subtle and more cunning (especially on NEA). Don't forget to have fun!
jboy
Freshman Poster

Postby abcdavid01 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:57 am

中国人万岁! 中国美女万岁!
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Postby OutWest » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:14 am

momopi wrote:
sartorisrex wrote:Hello. Im in my twenties and was thinking of moving over to Asia for a year or possibly more from the US. I like Asian women and wouldn't mind a change of pace at the moment. I was thinking I might teach English. I have about $40,000 USD in annual income after taxes that is all passive from real estate investments. I don't really want to spend all of it though. Could I live like a king somewhere surrounded by beautiful women?

I think the guys on this board would gain from your knowledge of how to generate $40k/year after-tax from income properties in your 20's!

Rather than asking, you should consider traveling across Asia to find where you like to live. Do not depend on others for hearsay.

Choose your parents carefully and it is no problem...LOL
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Postby Ghost » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:52 am

You are in your 20s and make $40,000 a year passively?

Man, go, just go. Asking about it on here won't do much good. Don't even bother with teaching English unless you really like that sort of thing. You could be a king in a third world country. The world is your plaything.

You have the money to travel anywhere and try it out, engage in endless...um, "playing around," or find a wife and raise a family. Go experience it and see firsthand. Asking about it on here will get you a bunch of different opinions, none of which may even hold true for you.

You can live well in the U.S. or any other Western country if that was your thing. Anywhere. Just go.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Twobrains » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:35 am

^^^ This.
"As long as you make an identity for yourself out of the pain, you cannot become free of it." Eckhart Tolle
Twobrains
Freshman Poster

Postby ryanx » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:59 pm

This could be a wind-up...I am just saying.
ryanx
Freshman Poster

Postby Tsar » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:08 pm

sartorisrex wrote:Hello. Im in my twenties and was thinking of moving over to asia for a year or possibly more from the US. I like asian women and wouldnt mind a change of pace at the moment. I was thinking I might teach English. I have about $40,000 USD in annual income after taxes that is all passive from real estate investments. I don't really want to spend all of it though. Could I live like a king somewhere surrounded by beautiful women?

Are those rental properties? How do you generate $40,000 from real estate investments? I'm assuming none of the rental properties have an outstanding mortgage loan?
Tsar
Experienced Poster

Postby Mr S » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:25 pm

You don't really need to work if you are making that much a year in Asia unless you really want to. Depending on your spending habits and where you choose to live/stay you could live quite well. Of course living in the capital cities will be more expensive then living in smaller ones. I would bounce around for a year or two and live in one country for at least a few months at a time to really understand the dynamics of the place and see if you vibe with it's culture and people. Don't rush into any commitments or relationships until you really feel comfortable with a particular place and willing to drop anchor and expand your horizons from there.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Postby eurobrat » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:37 am

Last edited by eurobrat on Sat May 25, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Postby momopi » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:42 am

Please note that he said "$40,000 USD in annual income after taxes that is all passive from real estate investments".

So that's after income tax.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Jester » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:04 am

eurobrat wrote:Not quit sure how this guy has 3 paid off houses in his early 20's.

I'm guessing he inherited a few apartments. Nothing wrong with that.
Travel and enjoy for a year, as suggested above.

Planting roots, and building on what he inherited, and contributing to the world, can all come a bit later.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby eurobrat » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:10 am

Last edited by eurobrat on Sat May 25, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Next

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand