Living in Asia on $40,000 USD

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
terminator
Junior Poster

Post by terminator »

I really don't know why he's asking. He can live in the US with hookers on that income, so of course he could do it anywhere else.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

eurobrat wrote:I would kill to have my rental paid off right now, I could live in Italy virtually rent free. Or a better option is I could live in Poland and live a very stress free life.
WOULD you now?

Italian hit man...

Winston...

hmmm......
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

$40,000 is more than enough to hang out somewhere. In fact if you spent $10,000 of it wisely you could probably buy a business to give you enough income to live in Asia permanently.

The only problem is having the self control to avoid blowing it all on women and fast living.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

xiongmao wrote:.....blowing it all on women and fast living.
That is kinda the point here.

;)
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 25th, 2013, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

XM,
I'm all ears about a business that as you wrote, can be bought for about 10K which would allow a guy to have enough income to live in Asia permanently. I guess by that you mean, at least 1500$/month, right? Show me one and I'll buy it right away! PM me details please. :wink:

I totally agree on your comment that the main challenge in Asia is not to blow it all on women and the good life.

xiongmao wrote:$40,000 is more than enough to hang out somewhere. In fact if you spent $10,000 of it wisely you could probably buy a business to give you enough income to live in Asia permanently.

The only problem is having the self control to avoid blowing it all on women and fast living.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

$10,000 will buy you a small business in the Phillies for sure. I don't know where you'd find one, but I think I read this figure from a post somewhere else on HA.

Business in China is complex, I'm not sure I like the idea of running a business there. Not least because if you get embroiled in a business dispute, the authorities can take away your passport.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

xiongmao wrote:$10,000 will buy you a small business in the Phillies for sure. I don't know where you'd find one, but I think I read this figure from a post somewhere else on HA.
Interesting concept here for men trying to expat.

Most expat websites focus on the retiree, and pitch real estate.

But a lot of guys need to make a living.

Yes, of course, we should all make our living from location-independent internet businesses. Yada yada yada.

But not everyone can, and not everyone wants to.

I wonder what countries a fellow can buy a business as opposed to real estate. A coffeehouse, a burger grill, copy shop, etc. It would have to be an easy-residency, easy-work-permit country obviously. Paraguay..... maybe Cambodia?....

....and where else??

Ideas please!

PS A few years I saw a newsstand/kiosk for sale in a good location in the Armenian Quarter of Buenos Aires, near transportation etc. As I remember it was $6000 USD. I figured, shit, i can run a small newsstand without speaking fluent Spanish. You know, sell cigarettes, chewing gum, magazines. I contacted an Argentinean immigration attroney vie email and asked him if he could get me residency based on me buying an existing business.

Nope. {sigh}
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Jester wrote:
xiongmao wrote:$10,000 will buy you a small business in the Phillies for sure. I don't know where you'd find one, but I think I read this figure from a post somewhere else on HA.
Interesting concept here for men trying to expat.

Most expat websites focus on the retiree, and pitch real estate.

But a lot of guys need to make a living.

Yes, of course, we should all make our living from location-independent internet businesses. Yada yada yada.

But not everyone can, and not everyone wants to.

I wonder what countries a fellow can buy a business as opposed to real estate. A coffeehouse, a burger grill, copy shop, etc. It would have to be an easy-residency, easy-work-permit country obviously. Paraguay..... maybe Cambodia?....

....and where else??

Ideas please!

PS A few years I saw a newsstand/kiosk for sale in a good location in the Armenian Quarter of Buenos Aires, near transportation etc. As I remember it was $6000 USD. I figured, shit, i can run a small newsstand without speaking fluent Spanish. You know, sell cigarettes, chewing gum, magazines. I contacted an Argentinean immigration attroney vie email and asked him if he could get me residency based on me buying an existing business.

Nope. {sigh}
Americans have some of the worst time moving abroad. Without employer sponsored permanent residency or millions of dollars to become an investor class expatriate it's extremely difficult for non-retirees. I would say that Americans are already being trapped inside America. Many Americans can't travel without going into debt, the American citizenship is only good inside of American territory and it doesn't counts for less and less in the world.

An EU passport allows people to work and live anywhere in Europe. Certain countries have special immigration programs for other nationalities. I heard Australian citizens can get automatic New Zealand permanent residency when they apply with some extra-conditions that apply. Americans have no easy ability relocate or any special programs in place with other countries. It's easy to see that things will only become more difficult as time goes on for Americans wanting to leave.

If you know French and you're young enough the French Foreign Legion might be a good idea for Americans wanting to get out of America. Three years of service to France to get French citizenship is worth it because it is a means of escaping and France is a country that supports all its people. French citizenship should also give EU citizenship. Eastern Europe would be nearby. If all else fails, the French Foreign Legion might be what I try to do to go abroad. Russia also has it's own foreign legion that grants Russian citizenship after three years. All I know is I want to get out of America.

I wouldn't fight for America because it doesn't have justice, freedom, opportunity, and many Americans are corrupt. The wars that America wages are for profit and special interests. The American foreign policy on spreading freedom and democracy is a fallacy. There is no true freedom in America and there was never democracy in America. I wouldn't ever serve a country (America) that gave me nothing except isolation and disappointment.

There would be many other countries I would openly serve and feel proud of serving. I would be proud to serve Russia and support Russian interests. I love the Russian people and culture.

If that makes me unpatriotic to America, then that's what I am because to I don't feel American in my heart. I still respect the veterans because they did serve for what they believed was right or just, but I wouldn't ever serve America and its government. I can't change my feelings or the truth. I never feel at home in America. I feel like I'm imprisoned in America. I won't ever feel alive until I leave America (and have my foreign bride).

Links:
http://www.economist.com/node/8633302
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... he-UK.html
http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/know ... /item/5323
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Tsar wrote:

If you know French and you're young enough the French Foreign Legion might be a good idea for Americans wanting to get out of America. Three years of service to France to get French citizenship is worth it because it is a means of escaping and France is a country that supports all its people. French citizenship should also give EU citizenship. Eastern Europe would be nearby. If all else fails, the French Foreign Legion might be what I try to do to go abroad. Russia also has it's own foreign legion that grants Russian citizenship after three years. All I know is I want to get out of America........

There would be many other countries I would openly serve and feel proud of serving. I would be proud to serve Russia and support Russian interests. I love the Russian people and culture.
Yes, Brits can relocate easier to ex-Empire places, and New Zealanders really have the red varpet out wherever they go, even Switzerland.

FFL is a great idea.

Never heard about the Russian version. That sounds like your ticket.

No need to worry about American roots. You are keeping faith with Pilgrims and Founding Fathers if you preserve civilization in your own bloodline.