Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

I found a way to get to Japan for free... sort of.

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

I found a way to get to Japan for free... sort of.

Postby onethousandknives » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:49 am

http://www.wwoofjapan.com/main/index.ph ... =1&lang=en
http://www.tofugu.com/2011/11/16/wwoof-japan/

World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms.

You travel to Japan (I think this program is in other countries as well) and you get free room and board in exchange for working on a farm (generally six hours a day.)

This program is damned near perfect for me, as one of my plans going to Japan was possibly going there and starting a small farm with some Chinese medicinal herbs up in some town where nobody lives. So this'll give me free experience.

It's not technically working as in making an income, but it gets you out of where you are now, with the only money spent being basically transportation, and allows you to immerse yourself. Looking at the previews of places where you can work, some is not even all farming. There's things like sports instructors for ski resorts and whatnot, too. Also, you can meet other foreigners working with you, one place has like, 18 people from Taiwan, 8 from Korea, etc. It's not paid work, but it gets you to the country, and maybe further along the line you can use your volunteer experience in the country to get paid work there, or have the person keep you on a paid basis if they think you're a good worker.

So this is a headsup to people who wanna do some traveling here and don't have cash. This personally looks like the answer to my prayers.

I mean it's not JET, but to me personally this seems WAY more fun than teaching English, and it requires no college degree, experience, anything. Just willingness to go.
onethousandknives
Freshman Poster

Postby zboy1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:24 am

Wow! Great find onethousandknives! Thanks.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby onethousandknives » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:43 am

Some places the work can suck, basically in that thread on it there was one or two negative experiences. So if you do it, I guess it'd be best to have some other places on the backburner in the country you're looking to go. But apparently it's worldwide, too. So if there's countries you wanna check out, you can do it just for the price of airfare and get a hands on view of things, complete opposite of the "tourist" angle you'd normally get. Probably should save a bit of money for fun after you're done working, or on days off.
onethousandknives
Freshman Poster

Postby magnum » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:55 pm

god this is so tempting.

I could go THIS summer if i wanted to...the problem is, I wouldn't have time to see anything with 6 hours a day of work, it seems almost better to just save up for 6 months and then go to japan.

If it were 5 hours a day, and not 6 days a week, I might just go for it...but I exercise a hour and a half a day, so 7 and a half hours of work, then your left with no time at all really, and I'd be too interested in chasing around japanese girls!
magnum
Junior Poster

Postby xiongmao » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:51 am

Work on a farm in the heat of Japan's Summer? That would suck.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby onethousandknives » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:06 pm

magnum wrote:god this is so tempting.

I could go THIS summer if i wanted to...the problem is, I wouldn't have time to see anything with 6 hours a day of work, it seems almost better to just save up for 6 months and then go to japan.

If it were 5 hours a day, and not 6 days a week, I might just go for it...but I exercise a hour and a half a day, so 7 and a half hours of work, then your left with no time at all really, and I'd be too interested in chasing around japanese girls!

It depends on the place you're working. It varies a lot. Some places the work is nothing, some places it's hard as all hell. Some places it's not even farms, it's restaurants, hotels, etc. One place I was looking at was a ski resort that'd give you free ski passes. I'm thinking of planning my trip as like, a month or two of work, and a month of exploration. Maybe work first in Hokkaido, then later try some place like a restaurant or hostel in Tokyo or something? See both sides, both the countryside life, and city life, and decide if, first off I like Japan, and second off, what type of lifestyle I'd like for myself. I'm torn on Japan, as I can see it going one way or the other, either really awesome and me totally loving it, or just being miserable there.
onethousandknives
Freshman Poster

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand