Korea PS teaching stories

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Korea PS teaching stories

Post by Cornfed »

For a couple of years I taught English at a public middle school in Korea. I thought I might relate some of the more noteworthy events here in case anyone is interested. Unfortunately it is largely of historical interest as native English speakers are being phased out of the schools. But here goes:

Story number 1. : Free Hug Day

Shortly after I arrived, the school had a kind of open day where parents came along, students showcased their artwork and performance etc. It seemed to be going along fine. But then I got dragged into this thing. The Korean staff had the idea of a "free hug day", by which they meant a free hug hour where between 10am and 11am, students would get to hug selected teachers. They chose me as one of the teachers, for obvious reasons, presumably thinking that since I was a funny looking little guy a few girls would want to hug me and it would be good for a laugh. As it turned out ALL the girls (~800) wanted to hug me. This was a bit problematic.

There was a huge mass of girls in front of me all wanting to hug me. I lost the sign hanging around my neck that I'd been given fairly quickly as it was getting in the way. At first we did a succession of normal hugs. I tried to lean forward so as to minimize body contact, but some of the girls were taller than me and surprisingly strong, so they would pull me in and it was impossible to avoid full body hugs. At some point I backed into the outdoor podium and realized that I had retreated about 15m without knowing it. I was thinking about some means of escape, but then the girls came up with an idea: a couple of very big girls would throw me into the fray, and then two girls would hug me from the front while one would hug me from the back - so we tripled our productivity. We kept this up - with me finding myself hard up against the podium and being thrown forward several times, for what seemed to be a long time but what was probably just a few minutes. I had some concern for my physical safety, although it occurred to me that if I had to die this probably wouldn't be a bad way to go.

Things got a bit less scary when a huge phalanx of boys physically pushed the girls aside. One might think this was a case on "Out of the frying pan into the fire" but in fact the boys lacked the fanaticism of their female counterparts, so I was relieved. Only a minority wanted to hug me, but those that did would really jump into my arms and be quite vigorous about it (a strange feature of Korean culture is that there is no faggot taboo about males touching each other). We kept this up for a while until the Principal announced something over the PA system, attracting everyone's attention, that allowed me to escape to the relative safety of the staffroom. Fascinating stuff. A case of "Glad I did it – wouldn't want to do it again". For the next few days, girls who had missed out on hugging me would come up and say "Flee hug teacha" and give me a hug, which was kind of nice.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Korea PS teaching stories

Post by zboy1 »

Cornfed wrote:For a couple of years I taught English at a public middle school in Korea. I thought I might relate some of the more noteworthy events here in case anyone is interested. Unfortunately it is largely of historical interest as native English speakers are being phased out of the schools. But here goes:

Shortly after I arrived, the school had a kind of open day where parents came along, students showcased their artwork and performance etc. It seemed to be going along fine. But then I got dragged into this thing. The Korean staff had the idea of a "free hug day", by which they meant a free hug hour where between 10am and 11am, students would get to hug selected teachers. They chose me as one of the teachers, for obvious reasons, presumably thinking that since I was a funny looking little guy a few girls would want to hug me and it would be good for a laugh. As it turned out ALL the girls (~800) wanted to hug me. This was a bit problematic.

There was a huge mass of girls in front of me all wanting to hug me. I lost the sign hanging around my neck that I'd been given fairly quickly as it was getting in the way. At first we did a succession of normal hugs. I tried to lean forward so as to minimize body contact, but some of the girls were taller than me and surprisingly strong, so they would pull me in and it was impossible to avoid full body hugs. At some point I backed into the outdoor podium and realized that I had retreated about 15m without knowing it. I was thinking about some means of escape, but then the girls came up with an idea: a couple of very big girls would throw me into the fray, and then two girls would hug me from the front while one would hug me from the back - so we tripled our productivity. We kept this up - with me finding myself hard up against the podium and being thrown forward several times, for what seemed to be a long time but what was probably just a few minutes. I had some concern for my physical safety, although it occurred to me that if I had to die this probably wouldn't be a bad way to go.

Things got a bit less scary when a huge phalanx of boys physically pushed the girls aside. One might think this was a case on "Out of the frying pan into the fire" but in fact the boys lacked the fanaticism of their female counterparts, so I was relieved. Only a minority wanted to hug me, but those that did would really jump into my arms and be quite vigorous about it (a strange feature of Korean culture is that there is no faggot taboo about males touching each other). We kept this up for a while until the Principal announced something over the PA system, attracting everyone's attention, that allowed me to escape to the relative safety of the staffroom. Fascinating stuff. A case of "Glad I did it – wouldn't want to do it again". For the next few days, girls who had missed out on hugging me would come up and say "Flee hug teacha" and give me a hug, which was kind of nice.
Koreans are a lot more affectionate than emotionless Americans, that's for sure. Can be a good or bad thing, depending on your preference.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

zboy1 wrote:
Cornfed wrote:For a couple of years I taught English at a public middle school in Korea. I thought I might relate some of the more noteworthy events here in case anyone is interested. Unfortunately it is largely of historical interest as native English speakers are being phased out of the schools. But here goes:

Koreans are a lot more affectionate than emotionless Americans, that's for sure. Can be a good or bad thing, depending on your preference.
Astounding.

I think of Koreans as hyper-proud and hyper-competitive.

Like I see in dramas like this:
http://asianwiki.com/The_King_of_Legend

and like I see in the tough, hardworking guys at the liquor store.

AFFECTIONATE?????

I thought Italians were affectionate!!!
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Jester wrote:Astounding.

I think of Koreans as hyper-proud and hyper-competitive.

Like I see in dramas like this:
http://asianwiki.com/The_King_of_Legend

and like I see in the tough, hardworking guys at the liquor store.

AFFECTIONATE?????

I thought Italians were affectionate!!!
I don't know whether they are more affectionate than other people, but the absence of a taboo about touching each other has some interesting consequences. For example, it is common to see teenaged boys walking around arm in arm, grooming each other like monkeys, grabbing each others' genitals etc. I imagine this is the result of regularly saunaing together. Then there is the tradition of the dong chim ("shit needle") where you make your hand into a gun and shove your index finger into someone's anus, which is thought to be hilarious.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Story number 2: The Choco-puff incident

I was teaching a class of around 45 teenaged boys in conjunction with a female Korean teacher during the last period of the day. The students in this class were unusually large and rowdy, but this occasion I managed to control them fairly well by making troublemakers stand at the back or outside, so there was a kind of air of pent up tension. During the lesson I called for volunteers to read a poem with the correct rhythm, intending to give choco-puffs (chocolate-covered marshmallow things) to the two best readers. As it turned out only one student volunteered, and he did a fairly good job. The lesson finished early, as lessons often did in boys' classes, so I checked to see whether anyone else wanted to read the poem. Since no-one did, I threw the two choco-puffs to the sole reader, who happened to be sitting in the middle of the class.

The moment they left my hand I knew it was a mistake. It had a similar effect to throwing a couple of bananas into a cage of starving baboons. The students all dogpiled on top of the kid, causing desks and chairs to go flying, and proceeded to all struggle for the choco-puffs. Both I and the Korean teacher instinctively jumped back, but whereas I was somewhat horrified, she was laughing her ass off. Realizing it would be futile to try to stop what was happening, I stood on a chair and kept watch, intending to intervene if anyone was injured. The pile of students moved around the room as they struggled, occasionally stopping while the students chanted "Choco-puff, choco-puff, [something something] choco-puff". Eventually the poem reader managed to extract himself from the bottom of the pile while cramming one of the choco-puffs into his mouth, leaving the rest of the students to fight over the remaining one. Shortly afterwards the big bully of the class emerged with it, intending to eat it at his leisure. However, the students all dogpiled on him, beginning the process again. He managed to cram it into his mouth though, leaving them with nothing remaining to fight over. They were dusting themselves off and straightening up the room when the final bell went. I checked again that no-one was injured and then rushed off and hid in my cubicle for the rest of the day, hoping not to be blamed for the incident.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Story number 3: Student goes berserk

It was the start of a class consisting of about 42 teenaged boys that I was teaching with a Korean female teacher, as usual. The Korean teacher was saying something to the class while a student was handing out the papers I had photocopied to the other students. I was across the room plugging in my computer. Suddenly the student handing out papers seemed to suffer a kind or Jekyll-to-Hide reaction. He instantly became hysterical, face swelled up in purple rage, eyes were bloodshot and streaming with tears etc. and then he starts throwing stuff and kicking things over. Maybe someone said something offensive to him. I'd never seen anything quite like it.

The (somewhat small) female teacher attempted to restrain him by straightening her arms and trying to push him up against the wall. Usually they give up and comply when female teachers do this, but this guy was too far gone. He didn't try to resist or fight her as such, but continued doing what he was doing unmoved by her efforts.

I pondered what I should do over the next second or so. It was a bit problematic. The student was about my skeletal proportions, but quite a bit lighter and presumably weaker, so knocking him out would have been no problem. However I didn't want to do that or even put him in a strong hold like a sleeper hold, in case the school's response was to say I was violently overreacting and fire me, as sometimes happens. But he was not exactly someone I could treat as a little kid, especially in the state he was in. On the other hand, as the only mature man in the room, I couldn't just stand around like a potted plant and let people be injured.

The solution my body came up with was to use a version of a "wrap up technique". I walked up and put my arm around the kid's shoulder in a buddy-type fashion (he felt like steel) and said to the Korean teacher "What should be done here?". The student violently struggled as I expected. With my free arm I reached across his body and grabbed his opposite upper-arm and then locked my elbow to my side, so both his arms were pinned across his chest. I then leaned on him and relaxed somewhat and let him swing me around to some extent as he struggled, with the idea that this would quickly tire him out. He was obviously quite fit but it eventually worked and he was beginning to tire.

Unfortunately this was when a couple of other boys raced up to join the situation, which seemed to give him a new lease of life. Not knowing whose side they were on, I twisted him high and low in order to turn him into them to use him as a barrier between me and them, but they each grabbed one of his arms and the four of us proceeded to pull each other around in a circle. (I later realized that they were the berserk student's friends doing him a favor by helping me restrain him before he hurt anyone, in particular the female Korean teacher. I could have done without their input, but it is the thought that counts). Strong little buggers. After a while I said something like "Stop guys, stop, STOP!". One of my helpers also said "STOP!" into the student's face, and he stopped. He was now truly exhausted and had begun to return to normality. The Korean teacher indicated that he should stand outside, so I led him outside, placed him against the wall, and, after taking a few seconds to look him over, went back in the class where we proceeded with the lesson. About 15 minutes later the Korean teacher told the student to come back in. He had returned to perfect normality and participated in the class as normal.

As to the aftermath, I'm not sure what if anything happened to the student, other than him having a tearful conversation with the Korean teacher after lessons had ended for the day. He and I became somewhat friendly for the remaining time I was at the school. He was a tanned guy with a kind of pumpkinish head, but quite handsome. He grew a couple of inches taller than me over the next year. The Korean female teacher seemed to suddenly go from regarding me as a dickhead to really liking me. I think it was her advocacy of me that led to my contract being renewed. Regrettably she was rotated to another school a short time after my second contract started, but it was good to have an enthusiastic supporter while she was there.

When I related this story to other Western teachers, the response was universal: that I should have walked out of the room and let the Koreans handle the Korean problems, or not as the case might have been. Personally, I think they are a bunch of faggots and I did exactly the right thing and deserve a pat on the back. We got out of a potentially life-ruining situation with a hysterically violent teenager being suppressed and no-one getting a mark on them. All in a day's work.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Cornfed wrote:Story number 3: Student goes berserk

It was the start of a class consisting of about 42 teenaged boys that I was teaching with a Korean female teacher, as usual. The Korean teacher was saying something to the class while a student was handing out the papers I had photocopied to the other students. I was across the room plugging in my computer. Suddenly the student handing out papers seemed to suffer a kind or Jekyll-to-Hide reaction. He instantly became hysterical, face swelled up in purple rage, eyes were bloodshot and streaming with tears etc. and then he starts throwing stuff and kicking things over. Maybe someone said something offensive to him. I'd never seen anything quite like it.

The (somewhat small) female teacher attempted to restrain him by straightening her arms and trying to push him up against the wall. Usually they give up and comply when female teachers do this, but this guy was too far gone. He didn't try to resist or fight her as such, but continued doing what he was doing unmoved by her efforts.

I pondered what I should do over the next second or so. It was a bit problematic. The student was about my skeletal proportions, but quite a bit lighter and presumably weaker, so knocking him out would have been no problem. However I didn't want to do that or even put him in a strong hold like a sleeper hold, in case the school's response was to say I was violently overreacting and fire me, as sometimes happens. But he was not exactly someone I could treat as a little kid, especially in the state he was in. On the other hand, as the only mature man in the room, I couldn't just stand around like a potted plant and let people be injured.

The solution my body came up with was to use a version of a "wrap up technique". I walked up and put my arm around the kid's shoulder in a buddy-type fashion (he felt like steel) and said to the Korean teacher "What should be done here?". The student violently struggled as I expected. With my free arm I reached across his body and grabbed his opposite upper-arm and then locked my elbow to my side, so both his arms were pinned across his chest. I then leaned on him and relaxed somewhat and let him swing me around to some extent as he struggled, with the idea that this would quickly tire him out. He was obviously quite fit but it eventually worked and he was beginning to tire.

Unfortunately this was when a couple of other boys raced up to join the situation, which seemed to give him a new lease of life. Not knowing whose side they were on, I twisted him high and low in order to turn him into them to use him as a barrier between me and them, but they each grabbed one of his arms and the four of us proceeded to pull each other around in a circle. (I later realized that they were the berserk student's friends doing him a favor by helping me restrain him before he hurt anyone, in particular the female Korean teacher. I could have done without their input, but it is the thought that counts). Strong little buggers. After a while I said something like "Stop guys, stop, STOP!". One of my helpers also said "STOP!" into the student's face, and he stopped. He was now truly exhausted and had begun to return to normality. The Korean teacher indicated that he should stand outside, so I led him outside, placed him against the wall, and, after taking a few seconds to look him over, went back in the class where we proceeded with the lesson. About 15 minutes later the Korean teacher told the student to come back in. He had returned to perfect normality and participated in the class as normal.

As to the aftermath, I'm not sure what if anything happened to the student, other than him having a tearful conversation with the Korean teacher after lessons had ended for the day. He and I became somewhat friendly for the remaining time I was at the school. He was a tanned guy with a kind of pumpkinish head, but quite handsome. He grew a couple of inches taller than me over the next year. The Korean female teacher seemed to suddenly go from regarding me as a dickhead to really liking me. I think it was her advocacy of me that led to my contract being renewed. Regrettably she was rotated to another school a short time after my second contract started, but it was good to have an enthusiastic supporter while she was there.

When I related this story to other Western teachers, the response was universal: that I should have walked out of the room and let the Koreans handle the Korean problems, or not as the case might have been. Personally, I think they are a bunch of faggots and I did exactly the right thing and deserve a pat on the back. We got out of a potentially life-ruining situation with a hysterically violent teenager being suppressed and no-one getting a mark on them. All in a day's work.
Wow....Well, at least you get the benefit of knowing that Korean students aren't going to be engaging in school shootings and murdering their teachers, unlike American kids. If this happened in the U.S., I would've ran out of the classroom as fast as possible. Since it happened in Korea, I probably would've done the same thing as you did, Cornfed. Sometimes, Korean kids just need a bit of their discipline in their lives. You know they respect authority far more than American kids--that's for sure.
ILoveBlackAmericanWomen
Freshman Poster

Post by ILoveBlackAmericanWomen »

I enjoyed this read. I'm sure many men would have loved to be in your position :wink:
To be white or black - is to not be a human, but a living definition and label. To be a slave to definition, to fashion, to the industries that market us like cattle, emptying our pockets like the udders of the cow, being paid to cut our bodies for cosmetics, benefiting off of putting harsh chemicals on our heads, making money off of us choosing to live and participate in the reality they created. Don't be "black", don't be "white", don''t be "Asian", don't be "Latin." Destroy the illusion, become human.
ILoveBlackAmericanWomen
Freshman Poster

zboy1 wrote:
Wow....Well, at least you get the benefit of knowing that Korean students aren't going to be engaging in school shootings and murdering their teachers, unlike American kids. If this happened in the U.S., I would've ran out of the classroom as fast as possible.
LOL I'm with you on that. There would of been two empty seats that day lol. :D Man that was a good laugh.
To be white or black - is to not be a human, but a living definition and label. To be a slave to definition, to fashion, to the industries that market us like cattle, emptying our pockets like the udders of the cow, being paid to cut our bodies for cosmetics, benefiting off of putting harsh chemicals on our heads, making money off of us choosing to live and participate in the reality they created. Don't be "black", don't be "white", don''t be "Asian", don't be "Latin." Destroy the illusion, become human.
ILoveBlackAmericanWomen
Freshman Poster

Cornfed wrote:Story number 3: Student goes berserk

Yea what you did was commendable. Many teachers would have been too cowardly to intervene.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

ILoveBlackAmericanWomen wrote:Yea what you did was commendable. Many teachers would have been too cowardly to intervene.
Thank you. It is about time someone said that.
ILoveBlackAmericanWomen
Freshman Poster

Cornfed wrote:
ILoveBlackAmericanWomen wrote:Yea what you did was commendable. Many teachers would have been too cowardly to intervene.
Thank you. It is about time someone said that.
No problem.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

One of the reasons I don't want to teach in Korea now is the possibility that they might fire me for a better applicant (e.g. a tall, pretty blond). But, you say, they would need a legal reason to fire me. Well, in my case, all they would need to do to find such a reason would be to review what I had done in the last month and decide which of the most egregious violations of Education Department policy would go down best with the Labor Board. However, to me, the stuff I did in Korea was just how I did my job in the best interest of all concerned.

For example, there were only three times I seriously laid hands on students during my two years at the school. One has been described above, another was breaking up a fight - which is a fairly boring story - and the other was this time.

I was teaching a second grade boys' class, and for some reason we were having a real problem with them. Worse, I was doing so in conjunction with a horrible feminist bitch Korean co-teacher.

She was fairly hot I suppose, with an awesome tall body and surprisingly big tits highly placed on her chest. Her face was somewhat horsey and more like a handsome man than a beautiful woman. Anyway, she was always complaining about my behavior and wanted to be in control, but then when I offered to surrender control and said something like "OK '’ll do whatever you want, just tell me what to do" she had no idea what she wanted me to do. So I had no real option but to run the classes as I saw fit and just put up with her whining.

Anyway, really bad behavior by the students, as with any adverse circumstances, seems to unite people. When it was apparent that this class was going to be awful, she got her teacher stick (more like a club) and we proceeded to try to teach.

So we start teaching the class and I can’t really remember what happened but it was going OK apart from having to constantly remind some students to STFU. And then it just wasn't working because of bad student behavior. There were a few boys down the back right hand side who were talking animatedly to each other. Looking at them I said, with animated gestures, that students needed to be quiet or get out.

These punks continued to ignore me and eventually I blew my top and went up to them and yelled at them to get out. They ignored me. I made sure I had explained it in sign language and by physical gestures properly, so they knew what I wanted. They laughed at me. Then I decided enough was enough. I grabbed the apparent leader of these punks by his lapels and dragged him across the floor. He was several inches taller than me, but lighter and only about 14, so it was interesting to see how he reacted. I was seeing red mist at this point. He really offered no resistance. At the doorway I was going to physically throw him out. I wanted to physically throw him out, but then the thought occurred to me that he might be brain-damaged on the opposite wall if I did that. Or he might just have gone out the door. Who knows? So luckily I had regained some self control and placed him against the wall.

I went to start the lesson after indicating that his two friends should piss off (they did). The scumbag I had ejected walked across the room, saw me and bowed, got his jacket and then walked out again. In the commotion I had not realized that the reason they were resistant to standing outside was it was literally freezing outside.

So we did a normal lesson after that. And later I waited to be fired. After all I had manhandled students and such, so you would expect some problem. Well in fact there was no problem because my feminist bitch co-teacher was grateful for what I had done because she had been having huge problems with that class and I had reduced them by taking down those responsible a peg or two. So she stuck up for me when there were complaints. Strange. If she had really wanted to she could have got me fired. Perhaps she didn’t want me fired, or perhaps Koreans and women only think a step ahead. Interestingly, the main area of whining wasn’t me manhandling the guy, but the scumbags having to stand in freezing temperatures for ~20min. Boo hoo.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Cornfed wrote:....But, you say, they would need a legal reason to fire me. Well, in my case, all they would need to do to find such a reason would be to review what I had done in the last month and decide which of the most egregious violations of Education Department policy would go down best with the Labor Board. ...
I like your anecdotes! :lol:
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

Awesome stories Cornfed. Loving them!
Btw, I've heard quite a few horrible stories about Koreans attacking foreigners for no reason other than to vent some frustrations and if the foreigner hit back at the Korean, the local would file a complaint with the police and the foreigner would be forced to pay large sums of money including the local's hospital's fee. Have you encountered or heard or saw any such occurences while there?