A Filipina Story

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
davewe
Experienced Poster

A Filipina Story

Post by davewe »

deleted
Last edited by davewe on May 9th, 2013, 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Do overseas Asians receive the same kind of status in Asia? I'm curious to know. I mean, as a Korean American, will I have higher status than Filipinos in the Philippines.
Anonymous1
Freshman Poster

Post by Anonymous1 »

zboy1 wrote:Do overseas Asians receive the same kind of status in Asia? I'm curious to know. I mean, as a Korean American, will I have higher status than Filipinos in the Philippines.
as a korean-american....you would have higher status then even some white guys in the Philippines

I have seen average looking korean dudes wife girls in the Philippines like this
http://i45.tinypic.com/xf0pj4.jpg
Last edited by Anonymous1 on March 9th, 2013, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

I wonder how the high status of Western men will last before everyone realizes that we are mostly impoverished and put upon, and have lost control of our own countries to the Jews and their loathsome female accomplices. People seem to realize this in much of Asia. I guess the Philippines is one of the last holdouts.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Anonymous1 wrote:
zboy1 wrote:Do overseas Asians receive the same kind of status in Asia? I'm curious to know. I mean, as a Korean American, will I have higher status than Filipinos in the Philippines.
as a korean-american....you would have higher status then even some white guys in the Philippines

I have seen average looking korean dudes wife girls in the Philippines like this
Yeah, I heard that overseas Asians are treated well for the most part in Southeast Asia, not so much in Northeast Asia. That's why I changed my mind about going to Russia and instead, I applied for a job teaching English in Thailand. Hopefully, it goes through....
Anonymous1
Freshman Poster

Post by Anonymous1 »

zboy1 wrote:
Anonymous1 wrote:

Yeah, I heard that overseas Asians are treated well for the most part in Southeast Asia, not so much in Northeast Asia. That's why I changed my mind about going to Russia and instead, I applied for a job teaching English in Thailand. Hopefully, it goes through....
this korean nerd who even trips on his own words when speaking managed to wife a good looking and east asian looking loyal filipina wife

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngZ9jIJnkVQ
skip to :15 sec to see them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jt_ukHFV4g
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Anonymous1 wrote:
zboy1 wrote:
Anonymous1 wrote:

this korean nerd who even trips on his own words when speaking managed to wife a good looking and east asian looking loyal filipina wife

Beautiful families! Thanks.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: A Filipina Story

Post by zboy1 »

davewe wrote:Here's a story about my friend's experience in the Philippines. It's a different perspective. I have my opinion about what it means, which I will share at the end, but ultimate it's just about one guy and one girl, so who knows if we can generalize.

My friend is exactly my age and works in the same industry as I do, meaning he's old, has a good job and a stable life :) He's divorced with one teenage kid - again pretty typical. He had seen and heard a bit about my Philippines experiences and was interested. He hadn't traveled abroad in many years and was looking for a spot to vacation. And like most middle ages guys, he was doing badly with local women, despite the professional job, good life, and decent looks (at least for an old guy). We met a couple times for beer and talk. I encouraged him to go to PI and have fun. He went on Cherry Blossoms for a month and while he was enjoying chatting with the pretty Pinays, he didn't connect with any of them. His tastes were specific and I understood what he wanted.

In the meantime I had a bunch of chatmates I had met in a variety of ways, ages 20-30. But I had chosen the girl I was interested in. It was time to tell the chatmates I would not be pursuing them. In some cases I simply told the girl good luck and goodbye, in other cases I liked the girl enough that I told her the truth and asked if she wished to remain friends. One in particular was quite appealing and liked me a lot. A nurse, 28, and very hot looking. Despite my telling her that I was now "taken" I knew it might be a risk. But then I thought of my friend. She was perfect; educated, professional and from what I was told middle class. Her father was a "small businessman." In short she was not a poor, desperate Pinay.

Needless to say, they connected big time. Within a couples weeks he decided to visit PI and spend his vacation with her. Her parents were having a joint birthday party and the girl convinced my friend to attend. I had taught him enough about PI to know that meeting the parents was a big deal but she downplayed it and they went to the parents town and attended the party. Everything my friend described told me that her father is in no way a small businessman. He had many helpers at his home and was clearly very politically connected. I started joking with my friend that the dad "Is Vito Corleone and he wants you to take over the family business." When the father found out that my friend's birthday was in February he told him that if he returned in February they would throw him a birthday party. Since my friend and the nurse had fallen for each other, it wasn't hard to convince him to return.

The party was held a few weeks ago. According to my friend there were 400 guests including the local mayor, governor and major police officials. While my friend still does not know exactly what the dad does, enough details have come out to indicate that at a minimum he is the area's most successful and well known businessman and quite possibly my Vito Corleone reference might be true. I joke with my friend, "if you don't marry this girl your life isn't worth a nickel, American or not. I'm sure there are plenty of Filipino hitmen here!"

While the details are sketchy it is clear that the dad can buy and sell my friend and I many times over. The girl does not need an American's money, nor an American nursing job to have a better life and send money home to the family. She and I are still friends and it is clear to me that she is nuts about my friend.

So why is she interested in my friend other than the fact that love and attraction are still mysterious and there is no absolute formula? The girl has had many opportunities to hook up with Filipino doctors where she works but prefers my friend. She still sticks with the nonsense that she is a simple girl from a modest middle class family and that my friend and I are "rich Americans."

What I think is that for many women, status trumps even money. The girl has a good job and whatever extra cash she needs from her dad. She could get a Filipino man based on her looks and personality, let alone her dad's money and power., although at 28 in PI she is getting a bit old for marriage. Yet for her, like many others, the lure of a foreign white guy with a long nose is very strong. Now don't get me wrong; my friend is a great guy and I am sure the girl truly loves him. I just mean that in the context of all the talk of money and poor desperate 3rd world women only pursing middle aged kanos for the cash, it's an interesting story.

Status is a weird thing and for whatever debatable reasons we have it in PI. Here's my story about status. My girl is nearly 25 and graduating from college this month. We decided that I would not attend the graduation but would meet her in Cebu the following week. It took a very long time for her to get confirmation that the graduation would be held March 23rd. Based on that I booked an April 1 flight. A week or so ago we were camming when my girl let out that the Dean had said "the graduation would probably be held the 23rd." What!!! I said. "It might be after holy week." I freaked out as all is paid for. She saw my anger and tried to tell me not to worry, she was sure the graduation was still on the 23rd. "But you just told me it might not be," I said. "Ask the dean," I told her. As a student her power is limited and it was clear that the dean would not be obliged to tell her what is going on. "Fine - I will call the school," I declared. So while we were on cam together I skyped the school. Talked to a secretary who transfered me to the dean himself. I lied a bit. "I am attending my fiancés graduation and there seems to be some confusion as to when it will be taking place," I told him. "March 23rd sir," said the dean. "In the afternoon and evening." "Are you sure," I asked. "Positive," said the dean. I thanked him and hung up. My girl was amazed at how I had cut through the B.S.

The next day she was taking a class taught by - you guessed it - the dean. "Your graduation is very important," he told them. "And being watched by many. I was contacted yesterday by a foreign man who will attend the graduation to be there with his fiancé." The class all looked around, wondering who the lucky girl was. After the class was over my girl's friends confronted her and she admitted I had been the one to call the dean. Her status was elevated big time. Even the dean finally asked Janet if it was her bf who had called. She admitted it and he was suitably impressed.

Status is a very nebulous thing but it's a strong motivator. And just by being a semi-together foreigner you have status in many parts of the world. When people say we are rock stars in the 3rd world, it's a pretty accurate description.
My only problem with this--is when mongers take advantage of the situation and ruin the reputation of expats and foreign men--by acting roughshod over the local population and disrespecting the culture and people in those countries. I also don't have a problem with expats and foreigners of taking advantage of their status, as long as you're not using it in unethical ways. Personally, I feel that foreigners bragging about their status and privilege--due to their race and nationality--is somewhat wrong, but understandable, since that's the way the world works, unfortunately.

Strange thing is...foreigners who try to do it this in the United States (rich foreigners, good looking foreign men, etc.), would be looked at with suspicion and even hostility by many Americans. Americans don't like 'showboatin' foreigners, and many would be in danger of gettin' their butts kicked by rednecks and 'patriotic America is no 1 types,' strangely....
Anonymous1
Freshman Poster

Post by Anonymous1 »

zboy1 wrote:
Anonymous1 wrote:
zboy1 wrote:
Anonymous1 wrote:

Beautiful families! Thanks.
key difference between northeast asian women and southeast asian women is....northeast asian women are more similar to western women...always trying to upgrade...if you dont make 200,000k salary then your not good enough

southeast asian women are looking for men who is honest, good values, and can support a family and her natal family
Anonymous1
Freshman Poster

Post by Anonymous1 »

zboy1 wrote:
davewe wrote:Here's a story about my friend's experience in the Philippines. It's a different perspective. I have my opinion about what it means, which I will share at the end, but ultimate it's just about one guy and one girl, so who knows if we can generalize.

My friend is exactly my age and works in the same industry as I do, meaning he's old, has a good job and a stable life :) He's divorced with one teenage kid - again pretty typical. He had seen and heard a bit about my Philippines experiences and was interested. He hadn't traveled abroad in many years and was looking for a spot to vacation. And like most middle ages guys, he was doing badly with local women, despite the professional job, good life, and decent looks (at least for an old guy). We met a couple times for beer and talk. I encouraged him to go to PI and have fun. He went on Cherry Blossoms for a month and while he was enjoying chatting with the pretty Pinays, he didn't connect with any of them. His tastes were specific and I understood what he wanted.

In the meantime I had a bunch of chatmates I had met in a variety of ways, ages 20-30. But I had chosen the girl I was interested in. It was time to tell the chatmates I would not be pursuing them. In some cases I simply told the girl good luck and goodbye, in other cases I liked the girl enough that I told her the truth and asked if she wished to remain friends. One in particular was quite appealing and liked me a lot. A nurse, 28, and very hot looking. Despite my telling her that I was now "taken" I knew it might be a risk. But then I thought of my friend. She was perfect; educated, professional and from what I was told middle class. Her father was a "small businessman." In short she was not a poor, desperate Pinay.

Needless to say, they connected big time. Within a couples weeks he decided to visit PI and spend his vacation with her. Her parents were having a joint birthday party and the girl convinced my friend to attend. I had taught him enough about PI to know that meeting the parents was a big deal but she downplayed it and they went to the parents town and attended the party. Everything my friend described told me that her father is in no way a small businessman. He had many helpers at his home and was clearly very politically connected. I started joking with my friend that the dad "Is Vito Corleone and he wants you to take over the family business." When the father found out that my friend's birthday was in February he told him that if he returned in February they would throw him a birthday party. Since my friend and the nurse had fallen for each other, it wasn't hard to convince him to return.

The party was held a few weeks ago. According to my friend there were 400 guests including the local mayor, governor and major police officials. While my friend still does not know exactly what the dad does, enough details have come out to indicate that at a minimum he is the area's most successful and well known businessman and quite possibly my Vito Corleone reference might be true. I joke with my friend, "if you don't marry this girl your life isn't worth a nickel, American or not. I'm sure there are plenty of Filipino hitmen here!"

While the details are sketchy it is clear that the dad can buy and sell my friend and I many times over. The girl does not need an American's money, nor an American nursing job to have a better life and send money home to the family. She and I are still friends and it is clear to me that she is nuts about my friend.

So why is she interested in my friend other than the fact that love and attraction are still mysterious and there is no absolute formula? The girl has had many opportunities to hook up with Filipino doctors where she works but prefers my friend. She still sticks with the nonsense that she is a simple girl from a modest middle class family and that my friend and I are "rich Americans."

What I think is that for many women, status trumps even money. The girl has a good job and whatever extra cash she needs from her dad. She could get a Filipino man based on her looks and personality, let alone her dad's money and power., although at 28 in PI she is getting a bit old for marriage. Yet for her, like many others, the lure of a foreign white guy with a long nose is very strong. Now don't get me wrong; my friend is a great guy and I am sure the girl truly loves him. I just mean that in the context of all the talk of money and poor desperate 3rd world women only pursing middle aged kanos for the cash, it's an interesting story.

Status is a weird thing and for whatever debatable reasons we have it in PI. Here's my story about status. My girl is nearly 25 and graduating from college this month. We decided that I would not attend the graduation but would meet her in Cebu the following week. It took a very long time for her to get confirmation that the graduation would be held March 23rd. Based on that I booked an April 1 flight. A week or so ago we were camming when my girl let out that the Dean had said "the graduation would probably be held the 23rd." What!!! I said. "It might be after holy week." I freaked out as all is paid for. She saw my anger and tried to tell me not to worry, she was sure the graduation was still on the 23rd. "But you just told me it might not be," I said. "Ask the dean," I told her. As a student her power is limited and it was clear that the dean would not be obliged to tell her what is going on. "Fine - I will call the school," I declared. So while we were on cam together I skyped the school. Talked to a secretary who transfered me to the dean himself. I lied a bit. "I am attending my fiancés graduation and there seems to be some confusion as to when it will be taking place," I told him. "March 23rd sir," said the dean. "In the afternoon and evening." "Are you sure," I asked. "Positive," said the dean. I thanked him and hung up. My girl was amazed at how I had cut through the B.S.

The next day she was taking a class taught by - you guessed it - the dean. "Your graduation is very important," he told them. "And being watched by many. I was contacted yesterday by a foreign man who will attend the graduation to be there with his fiancé." The class all looked around, wondering who the lucky girl was. After the class was over my girl's friends confronted her and she admitted I had been the one to call the dean. Her status was elevated big time. Even the dean finally asked Janet if it was her bf who had called. She admitted it and he was suitably impressed.

Status is a very nebulous thing but it's a strong motivator. And just by being a semi-together foreigner you have status in many parts of the world. When people say we are rock stars in the 3rd world, it's a pretty accurate description.
My only problem with this--is when mongers take advantage of the situation and ruin the reputation of expats and foreign men--by acting roughshod over the local population and disrespecting the culture and people in those countries. I also don't have a problem with expats and foreigners of taking advantage of their status, as long as you're not using it in unethical ways. Personally, I feel that foreigners bragging about their status and privilege--due to their race and nationality--is somewhat wrong, but understandable, since that's the way the world works, unfortunately.

Strange thing is...foreigners who try to do it this in the United States (rich foreigners, good looking foreign men, etc.), would be looked at with suspicion and even hostility by many Americans. Americans don't like 'showboatin' foreigners, and many would be in danger of gettin' their butts kicked by rednecks and 'patriotic America is no 1 types,' strangely....
yes mongers ruin it for westerners big time

but I have seen some decent westerners who are not mongers with beautiful filipina brides....so all the serious guys out there still have a chance

like this for example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6ulXUg0gOQ
lone_yakuza
Freshman Poster

Post by lone_yakuza »

Last edited by lone_yakuza on November 19th, 2016, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

East Asian women are horrible, LY. My guess is, it's because so many men these days (of all races), seem so obsessed with them, and they have let that infatuation and attention get into their heads. They need to be 'taken down a notch,' in my opinion.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

deleted
Last edited by davewe on May 9th, 2013, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
green1976
Freshman Poster

Post by green1976 »

In what i have seeing in Thailand the status things for a foreigner and specifically a white westerner is real.
Let's look inside what are the main characteristics i've remarked:

You get the hight status feeling in the poor countryside and when you deal with poor people who have few prospect.
The middle or high class in BKK does not give farang a high status and tend to be more pro Korea or pro Japan style.

In the countryside to have a status means that you will be considered the one who pay for almost everything.
If you don't fit in the "you pay everything and take care everything"you will be considered as a cheap charlie and that would really hurt your reputation.
They take it seriously and the signification of being stingy is far worse of what it is in our countries.
If you choose the path to spread your money easily,you won't either be well considered,they will take you as a fool.

So there is always like a balance to maintan,giving something,not too litlle, not too much.

Most of people i've met are correct beside the expectation farang have to pay.
Some of them,specifically when drunk,can be agressive and pushy against the foreigner let's say for drinks even if they don't know you,so in this case the outsider should be really cautious and move on.

Is it good to have status versus being invisible?
I won't spit on the dish and say that the downside are worst compared to the upside.
That's a personal feeling..some guys hate it..others love to feel a "domination" by the money.
The main problem start to get annoying when it become an exclusive rule and when you are dealing with a greedy family who only want your money.

So yes,the farang status is real but this status is not free..there is a price to pay for it..and if you don't pay it..you will end up less than a random Thai in the community where you are staying.

I excluded case of foreigners who where not white because you get quite fast that black people,Indian or dark skinned one,won't get the same treatment as a white one.
Already in Thailand,dark Thais are considered lower than white Thais.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

davewe wrote:
zboy1 wrote:

There is nothing in either story about mongers, nothing about anyone acting roughshod over the population, and no one bragging about their status. Neither of us showboated either in PI or home and so far neither of us has had our butts kicked anywhere. I simply reported the facts of what happened to both of us and postulated that women are attracted to status as well as money - in any culture. My friend and I are both very respectful toward our gfs, their families and the Philippines culture in general. I wrote this as a counter point to the many stories of Angeles City, poor desperate girls who will do anything for money, who ripped off whom, who bought women solely with money, etc.

Ironically, somehow the conversation immediately morphed to whether Koreans have status in the Philippines (and BTW, they often do).
I never mentioned anything about you, Davewe, or your friend. I meant foreigners in Asia who are using their 'status' in unseemly ways. Are you implying what I'm saying is not true? Because I know many expats--including many living overseas--that can confirm what I'm saying. And I was just comparing the situation with foreigners in Asia, with foreigners doing the same thing in the United States; it would never occur in the U.S. because Americans are highly patriotic, xenophobic, and wary of foreigners. I just find it interesting that geography plays a big role in what you were describing in your story...
Last edited by zboy1 on March 9th, 2013, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.