Leaving Sunday to go to the Philippines.

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Dudevondudenstein
Freshman Poster

Leaving Sunday to go to the Philippines.

Post by Dudevondudenstein »

Hello all,

I have been reading this forum for a while and once had an account under a different name but couldn't figure out how to get back in to it. Anyways after a couple years of planning and talking I am finally leaving to head to the Philippines on Sunday March 17th. I will be leaving Charleston, WV to Detroit to Los Angeles to Taipei finally arriving in Manila on Tuesday March 19th. Whew!

I plan on spending one week in Manila, one week in Cebu and 6 weeks in Davao. I am going to meet a filipina I met online from Davao, and do a bit of traveling about the islands with her if it all goes well. I am worried about how sick I might get from the food or water in the Philippines... Also as far as I know none of my electronic items such as digital camera, cell phone and tablet pc will work on 240v.

Now to my questions!

Can you suggest anything I can buy and take when I arrive to help keep from getting sick?

Can I buy a converter pretty easy when I arrive?

Thanks in advance!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

I may be wrong, but I believe that the Philippines does not have different voltage than our system.
Last edited by zacb on March 16th, 2013, 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Dudevondudenstein
Freshman Poster

Post by Dudevondudenstein »

Ahh I see. I was researching it online and the web site that I found said they operate on 240v. I will keep searching.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

Dudevondudenstein wrote:Ahh I see. I was researching it online and the web site that I found said they operate on 240v. I will keep searching.
The plugs are different but most hotels I've been at have American style plugs. If not an adapter is cheap.

As to getting sick - I would not drink the water but hotels give you bottled water. Bringing along some anti-diarrheal medication is a good idea when traveling anywhere internationally.

I like Davao and hope to spend more time there someday. I would not spend a week in Manila; but that's me - some might like it - I think it's a shithole.

Flights in PI are cheap, so you can hop from Davao to places like Cagayan de Oro easily.
green1976
Freshman Poster

Post by green1976 »

Well don't forget that the definite stop is not in Detroit but in Manila :lol:

You could post here your impression of Cebu,it's a place i was thinking to make a trip.

You really should be careful of tropical disease.
I got a serious taste of it by having Dengue fever and it's a very debilitating suffering.
Protect against mosquitoes seriously.

About food,i got one intoxication in Laos and in Thailand i'm getting more careful now.
I just decided to vermifugate myself and you can consider that at one moment you will get some types of parasitic infection by the food(mainly helminth).
It's almost impossible to avoid.

Many times they are no obvious symptoms but in any case it's better to kill them or they can weaken the organism in the long run.
If you know that ascariasis is infecting more than 1.5 billon people worldwide,you will undersand that you won't escape in the Phillipines :lol:
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

green1976 wrote: You really should be careful of tropical disease.
I got a serious taste of it by having Dengue fever and it's a very debilitating suffering.
Protect against mosquitoes seriously.
Yes, mosquito spray is pretty essential. No malaria in PI but there is lots of dengue.

I am assuming you have been to your doctor to get your basic shots updated - tetanus and such. If not definitely go!
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

zacb wrote:I may be wrong, but I believe tha tthe Philippines does not have different voltage than our system.
I blew out two power packs without a voltage converter....Philippines voltage is 240V, baby pa.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
Twobrains
Freshman Poster

Post by Twobrains »

Dudevondudenstein wrote:Ahh I see. I was researching it online and the web site that I found said they operate on 240v. I will keep searching.
http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity.htm
"As long as you make an identity for yourself out of the pain, you cannot become free of it." Eckhart Tolle
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Also, one thing about the water. Most of central Davao is covered by a company called Davao Water District. They provide arguably the best quality water in the entire country. It's not only safe to drink, but it tastes great too! If you're planning to rent a place in Davao, make sure it's served by DWD.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

zacb wrote:I may be wrong, but I believe that the Philippines does not have different voltage than our system.
There are 220v and 110v outlets here. But this shouldn't be an issue because modern electronic items are able to charge from a 220 or 110 outlet. Look at your charger. It should say that it's compatible with both 110 and 220 or give a range that covers both voltages.

The only issue is that some outlets have round prongs rather than flat ones. A cheap adaptor can fix that, but in hotels, the outlets are usually all flat prongs.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Array9
Freshman Poster

Post by Array9 »

Hi Dudevondudenstein,

Here are a few more things I would suggest that you buy for your trip:

1) Aleve or any good fever reducer
2) Pepto Bismol- For upset stomach
3) Ear plugs- Nothing is more annoying than hearing babies crying while you are trying to sleep on the plane.

I have been to the Philippines a number of times. I would advise you that since you are meeting this girl for the first time, have a backup plan. I have been in situations where I have set up a date with girls that I met on the internet and they either don't show up, don't bother answering their phone or they are not what you expected.

I had one lady that I met from Gingoog city, Mindanao. From the time I stepped off the plane in Cagayan de Oro(her family picked me up in CDO) she was asking me to buy things for her family. She told me that if I wanted to marry her, I would have to buy her papa a motorcycle first. I declined the offer of marriage and the "single motor". When it came time to eat dinner, she called all of her family and neighbors to join us for dinner without asking me first. There were about 15 people waiting outside the house to join us for dinner. I asked her why she didn't ask first, she could not answer me. I quickly realized that I had to get the heck out of there.

To make a long story short, things don't go as planned in the Philippines. Don't become a walking ATM for anyone.

Enjoy your trip and be sure to let us know how things went. :)
Men chase, women choose

As long as you have gold in your hand, you will ALWAYS have bread on your table.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

If your filipina starts asking you buy tons of stuff for her and her family you need to get rid of her. However, if she starts buying things for you no matter how trivial she's probably a keeper.
noog
Freshman Poster

Post by noog »

Winston wrote:
zacb wrote:I may be wrong, but I believe that the Philippines does not have different voltage than our system.
There are 220v and 110v outlets here. But this shouldn't be an issue because modern electronic items are able to charge from a 220 or 110 outlet. Look at your charger. It should say that it's compatible with both 110 and 220 or give a range that covers both voltages.

The only issue is that some outlets have round prongs rather than flat ones. A cheap adaptor can fix that, but in hotels, the outlets are usually all flat prongs.
+1
"Take a bold and unconventional action, then you'll find out who your friends are."

"Trying to find good American women is like trying to ice skate in a volcano."
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Earplugs? God yes. They're essential for Asia. Mack's Safesound series are really good. Given I live next to a pipe factory, they've proven invaluable.

Imodium is useful for minor stomach upsets but if you get something major then let nature take its course.

Actually I'm really sick now - some type of norovirus thing. I don't think I can blame the food as it's so infectious it could have come from anywhere. The main thing is to make sure you don't get dehydrated.

And mosquitos are a real nuisance. Stay in a hotel with aircon and you can close the window and kill them all before you sleep. I've found they're really aggressive.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
mct
Freshman Poster

Post by mct »

davewe wrote: Yes, mosquito spray is pretty essential. No malaria in PI but there is lots of dengue.

I am assuming you have been to your doctor to get your basic shots updated - tetanus and such. If not definitely go!
Note to anyone who intends to travel to Palawan (which is an archipelago in itself), you're advised to protect yourself from malaria, especially if you're going to the southern part of it. I'm a local and a development worker at that --- and have been told such since 2002 when I first went there.
=======================
Kindness is the elixir of love.