Height in Asian Countries

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Maverick
Junior Poster

Height in Asian Countries

Post by Maverick »

Hey all.

I'm a short, white American male that is just under 5'6 (I'm about 167 cm). Despite this, I've done okay with women in the US, but I've obviously experienced some discrimination because of it.

I was just wondering how important height is in Asian countries. I do realize that the average height is shorter in these countries, which makes me feel a bit better.

Also, if it matters, I have multiple pairs of shoes with lifts that get me into the 5'7-5'8 range.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Well, I'm a 5'11 Korean American--and I have felt somewhat tall when in Asia (except in Korea; Koreans are pretty tall for Asians. Also, I've heard Northern Chinese are tall as well). Interestingly enough, Asian men are getting taller in some parts of Asia (due to better nutrition). As for Asian women, you should be fine as most Asian women tend to be on the short side.. Most Asian women are between 5'0--5'5 in height.

You said you were discriminated against because of your height: in what way? I ask because I've always been of average height--and even though I've been discriminated as an Asian in America--I've never been discriminated because of my height. Actually, my height has helped me somewhat in life, even though other factors have been a negative.
Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

zboy1 wrote:Well, I'm a 5'11 Korean American--and I have feel I'm somewhat tall in Asia; although, Asian men are getting taller in some parts of Asia (due to better nutrition). As for Asian women, you should be fine as most Asian women tend to be on the short side.. Most Asian women are between 5'0--5'5 in height.

You said you were discriminated against because of your height: in what way? I ask because I've always been of average height--and even though I've been discriminated as an Asian in America--I've never been discriminated because of my height. Actually, my height has helped me somewhat in life, even though other factors have been a negative.
Well, yes, your height has helped you because you're above average height. I'm significantly below average height, almost to the point that's not considered within normal limits (anything below 5'5 is considered not normal for white males....I'm 167 cm....slightly below 5'6).

I meant discriminated in terms of dating. Women don't like short guys here. I've been able to make up for it with my looks and personality, but I've still found it to be difficult to overcome. That's why I'm seeking out shorter countries.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

In the Philippines, 5'4" is the average height for men and 5' is the average for women. You won't have any problems getting the attention of women in Cebu, Filipinas usually prefer guys under 6'. China has on average taller people, 5'7'' for men and about 5'3'' for women but a guy under 6' can still attract the ladies no problem. Northern China, Korea and Japan have lots of tall women 5'8'' and above so dating gets more difficult the farther north you go if your average height for an American man.
Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

Taco wrote:In the Philippines, 5'4" is the average height for men and 5' is the average for women. You won't have any problems getting the attention of women in Cebu, Filipinas usually prefer guys under 6'. China has on average taller people, 5'7'' for men and about 5'3'' for women but a guy under 6' can still attract the ladies no problem. Northern China, Korea and Japan have lots of tall women 5'8'' and above so dating gets more difficult the farther north you go if your average height for an American man.
Haha I'm nowhere near average height for an American man. :P

Good info! Thanks for the response! :)
Bane
Freshman Poster

Post by Bane »

Having lived in both China and Japan extensively, I can tell you that yes, height DOES matter to women in these countries. Many women in those countries will often have a minimum height requirement, just like women in the west. HOWEVER, because the average height in those countries is shorter than that in the US, your chances of not being turned down due to height increase significantly.

Asian women will usually date guys who are around 5'7" or so, or 5'6 as you say you are. 5'6 is about average in most East and Southeast Asian countries (except South Korea, where they are almost as tall as Americans, particularly the younger ones), so I don't think you will have a problem.
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." -Oscar Wilde

"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability is in the opponent" -Sun Tzu
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

What is your desired height range for women you date? If you like taller women, you might need to consider a country which may have lots of taller people but is less height sensitive. If you are happy to date shorter women, then just go to a country where the women are short.

In China and NE Asia (decent percentage of girls between 5'5" and 5'7" in certain urban areas), height is a factor girls often consciously consider when searching for a mate. But I've seen them drop this if they meet a guy who they just naturally feel attracted to (left brain vs. right brain). Here in Taipei, I often see couples of similar height and sometimes see girls with guys who are an inch or two shorter than them. More rarely, I've seen gals who seem to tower over their dates, even in flat shoes.

Couple of anecdotes. I used to know a good looking American guy here who was just 5'6". But because he was handsome, foreign, and had a good personality, he was able to date 3 very attractive young local girls in the space of 18 months; all of whom were seriously into him. After that, he went to Berlin where he also had a very pretty German girl he lived with for another year. But when he finally returned to Manhattan, he suddenly could no longer get dates.

Another 5'6" American friend of mine who isn't even good looking did fine here, lots of quantity with some quality mixed in. Even if NE Asian girls care about height, their standards are usually more flexible (open to being compensated by extenuating factors) nor as strict as what seems to be common in the Staes (over 6 feet, at least 6'2", etc).

Another area which I felt was less height conscious was DR. The height range there seems pretty broad and I often saw women with similar height or even shorter males. The read I got is that many of the local girls are not as height obsessed as American or even Chinese girls. Of the girls I asked, I was told that height was not so important as long as guy was at least as tall they were or in some cases maybe 1 to 2 inches shorter. So as a 5'6" male there, you could probably date a lot of 5'5" to 5'7" girls, especially if you are good looking as you say you are.

Remember, height is very relative. So if you wanna experience being taller than average, head to short countries such as Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines, or even say Guatemala. Your current height should be a neutral to positive factor in the dating environs of those countries because you will be taller than the average male.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I'm around 5' 6" but all that means is that I date girls around 5' 2".

Petite girls are worth a look.

Chinese girls are very variable in height but the South of the country is generally better for shorter guys to find love.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

xiongmao wrote:I'm around 5' 6" but all that means is that I date girls around 5' 2".

Chinese girls are very variable in height but the South of the country is generally better for shorter guys to find love.
Yup! South China is full of short petite super cuties. I am 5'8" myself and I was kinda tall there. In Beijing, I was just a pinch above average height. My woman is 5'2" and she thought i was a little too tall at the beginning, but she she gets a kick out of being lifted high in the air now. LOL

at 5'6" you wont have any problems in China. Japan and Korea have taller people than I expected. I don't know about the Philippines.
Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

Thanks for all of the responses, guys!

Very useful information!

To answer some of the questions, I do prefer girls that are shorter than me (ideally much shorter). I have dated tall girls before (I think my tallest was around 5'9/5'10) in America. It was definitely kind of awkward. It wasn't too bad, but it's not something I prefer.
Minsun20
Freshman Poster

Re: Height in Asian Countries

Post by Minsun20 »

I'm a 5 ft 6 British Born Chinese female. I do notice people in China giving me the extra look and glares as it's unusual for girls to be this height in Southern Eastern China. My parents are both from the Guangdong province and they are average height. Nutrition and the environment plays a key role I guess. I did a lot of sports when o was younger. I would say in my own opinion that I would date a guy at least 173cm ish, so round 5 ft 8/9. Standards vary on China. I know Southern Korean men are average-tall height compared to Western countries. I would consider myself as talker than average but it varies so much, especially since I was born in the UK but have Chinese ethnic background.
MatureDJ
Junior Poster

Re:

Post by MatureDJ »

xiongmao wrote:I'm around 5' 6" but all that means is that I date girls around 5' 2".

I'm 5' 5". :x :x The problem with short American women is that they don't think to themselves "oh, I'm short, so I'll go for a short guy"; rather, they say "I want my son to not be celibate, so I need to go for a tall man". And for the ones who don't have a problem with short men, don't forget that tall men can also go for short women. It would be OK if tall women could accept a short man, but we all know THAT doesn't happen.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

I am 6ft 2ins tall, I have known thousands of Chinese girls and their opinions on this (part of my job...).

Height is massively important, in fact - the most important factor - I have seen some utter physical heaps with beautiful girls because they were over six foot - a Chinese man who is six foot or around 5'ft 11 will never ever be short of dates from local girls - doesn't matter how his face is arranged - he will always be 'handsome'.

China has a lot of tall girls - over 5ft 7ins isn't uncommon and a fair few in the 5ft 10ins - 6ft range - of course, they want to feel 'cute' and 'tiny' next to their lumbering giant of a boyfriend - this is where some foreigners can get a beautiful Chinese girlfriend because there aren't many Chinese guys around who are that tall and broad to get these girls or their interest.

Even the girls who are one inch away from being a dwarf want a six footer! :lol: but of course, if you're not six foot, it doesn't mean you're out of the race but if you're 5ft 6ins, 5ft 7ins - it isn't going to be easy (unless you're well put together, handsome and have your own hair...)
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

yick wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 4:22 pm
Even the girls who are one inch away from being a dwarf want a six footer! :lol: but of course, if you're not six foot, it doesn't mean you're out of the race but if you're 5ft 6ins, 5ft 7ins - it isn't going to be easy (unless you're well put together, handsome and have your own hair...)
Gotta love how low the bar is for foreigners in Asia, my God haha. :lol:
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 5:14 pm
yick wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 4:22 pm
Gotta love how low the bar is for foreigners in Asia, my God haha. :lol:
It's a harsh playground over here, brotha! :lol:

Saying that, I do see a lot of bald/balding foreigners - best thing they could do is shave it all off and go for the 'Bruce Willis' effect.