Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Getting Deported from the Philippines

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Getting Deported from the Philippines

Postby ladislav » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:40 pm

A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Hero » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Looks like you can't win. If you bring your Pinay wife over here, she'll become an Americanized Filipina bitch. But if you move over there, she can get you deported if you piss her off.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Postby germanguy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:09 pm

Hero wrote:Looks like you can't win. If you bring your Pinay wife over here, she'll become an Americanized Filipina bitch. But if you move over there, she can get you deported if you piss her off.

Not really...This law might theoretically exist but it´s not enforced in 99% of all cases. Of course you can get yourself deported from any country but most of these cases are well deserved. To give an example: people who commit crimes, people who overstay their visa for years, child molesters etc.

This report mentioned a case in which a foreigner physically abused a woman... In my honest opinion I would be glad if violent people like that got deported from my country too.
germanguy
Freshman Poster

Postby ladislav » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:45 pm

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Hero » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:55 am

So are you afraid to go back?
Hero
Experienced Poster

Postby jboy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:21 am

I won't be concerned with abusive forenjer (what pinoys calls foreigners) getting deported. What u should be concerned about is that the pinays are learning to bring up the rape card jus like the AWs to punish a man they think spurned them or won't marry them.

Girl I had a one night stand with last week pulled that trick on me after not getting a 2nd date when she wanted it. Told me she'd call the US embassy and get me deported for 'raping' her. Good thing I have a video of our tryst which clearly shows she was riding me half the time lol that got her to shut up.
jboy
Freshman Poster

Postby Taco » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:47 am

ladislav wrote:This is even scarier:

http://www.philippinesimmigration.info/

Yeah, that's pretty unnerving. I'm just wondering if they can deport you after you get Philippine residency? Anyway, I heard the police can help you take care of any "problem" you have for a fee, I will not explain what that entails.

My neighbor from Louisiana was drunk everyday threated to kill the neighbors, our slum lord and his girlfriend, burned all her clothes twice but he was never deported. However, he was forced to move out of the first house he bought in Lapu because the neighbors complained too much.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby ladislav » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:49 am

With 200,000 Americans living in the Philippines, the numbers of those deported are still small. I have seen Americans act like assholes and at times, I got angry and shouted at people but nothing happened. And there are only 120 people in the detention center.

I guess as with anything abroad, most things are anecdotal and situational. It helps though to always keep one's guard, be nice, and keep permits and visas current. It's always nice to have a lawyer on one's side just in case, too.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Hero » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:46 am

I'd like to repeat some advice given by Larry Elterman in his book. Get a lawyer who's recommended by other Western expats. Don't believe recommendations by Filipinos, they'll just refer you to some shyster who views Americans as money trees.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Postby deasil875 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:04 pm

f**k this shit. The Philippines is anti-foreigner and I am so glad I never went through with my plans to go and this just confirms it. The Philippines has just ass backward laws and social customs. I switched my focus to Japan, Thailand and China.
deasil875
Freshman Poster

Postby kai1275 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:09 pm

deasil875 wrote:f**k this shit. The Philippines is anti-foreigner and I am so glad I never went through with my plans to go and this just confirms it. The Philippines has just a** backward laws and social customs. I switched my focus to Japan, Thailand and China.

China is worst in some ways. You better read my guide first if you are going to China, if you are not aware of things like this.

Japan, while having more structure, will do you no favors either. Do your research first.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Postby davewe » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:19 pm

Filipinos aren't anti-foreigner at all, though as with anywhere there are exceptions. You might have a case that they haven't made foreign investment very easy, but that has little to do with the average Westerner traveling or expatting there.

As to the original question, if a foreigner misbehaves in the Philippines he is far more likely to get his ass handed to him (or worse) than to get deported by the authorities. Committing crimes, mistreating people, abusing women or even getting into arguments with local Pinoys is not what you want to do. If that is a foreigner's nature he might be best off getting deported. The alternative is he can end up dead.

As to the guys who like to pump and dump (which I have nothing against) - yes the girl might go to the law. But she's more likely to call her 10 male cousins and have them deal with the offending guy. Actually, if she's like some Pinays I know, she's more likely to pull out her bolo and do the job herself :) It's the risk you take I guess.

OTOH a foreigner who respects the people, culture and laws will find a very welcoming culture.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Postby deasil875 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:12 pm

kai1275 wrote:You better read my guide first if you are going to China, if you are not aware of things like this.

Link?
deasil875
Freshman Poster

Postby deasil875 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:20 pm

davewe wrote:Filipinos aren't anti-foreigner at all, though as with anywhere there are exceptions. You might have a case that they haven't made foreign investment very easy, but that has little to do with the average Westerner traveling or expatting there.

As to the original question, if a foreigner misbehaves in the Philippines he is far more likely to get his a** handed to him (or worse) than to get deported by the authorities. Committing crimes, mistreating people, abusing women or even getting into arguments with local Pinoys is not what you want to do. If that is a foreigner's nature he might be best off getting deported. The alternative is he can end up dead.

As to the guys who like to pump and dump (which I have nothing against) - yes the girl might go to the law. But she's more likely to call her 10 male cousins and have them deal with the offending guy. Actually, if she's like some Pinays I know, she's more likely to pull out her bolo and do the job herself :) It's the risk you take I guess.

OTOH a foreigner who respects the people, culture and laws will find a very welcoming culture.

Perhaps I was a little harsh yes. However, I am not looking to stir up trouble at all. I am very keep to myself kind of person that avoids conflict whenever necessary. What disturbs me about the Philippines is I read a report by Winston a while back about a boat rental which the locals tried to scam him out of $$$ for damage he did not do. Now applying the pinoy logic that you can be deported for "raising your voice", it seems that you can get f***ed with for simply standing up for something you did not do and holding your ground. I guess as a foreigner the deck is badly stacked against you should you run into a problem that you didn't want to bring on yourself to begin with.
deasil875
Freshman Poster

Postby davewe » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:25 am

deasil875 wrote:
Perhaps I was a little harsh yes. However, I am not looking to stir up trouble at all. I am very keep to myself kind of person that avoids conflict whenever necessary. What disturbs me about the Philippines is I read a report by Winston a while back about a boat rental which the locals tried to scam him out of $$$ for damage he did not do. Now applying the pinoy logic that you can be deported for "raising your voice", it seems that you can get f***ed with for simply standing up for something you did not do and holding your ground. I guess as a foreigner the deck is badly stacked against you should you run into a problem that you didn't want to bring on yourself to begin with.

People do get deported from the Philippines and I suspect from just about any country that takes in tourists and immigrants, including the US. I don't know the exact figures in PI but suspect they are modest. My point was that if a tourist or expat misbehaves or gets into confrontations with the wrong crowd he has more to worry about than the authorities and deportation. Again I suspect this is true in most places.

The writer of the original article, Bob Martin, is a well known blogger on the PI, has lived there with his family for many years and loves the country and its people. He posed a question he has addressed before: is it better to buy/build property or rent in PI? This is one more consideration in the equation; that if you build or purchase a home and somehow get deported, you're out of luck. He certainly was not saying don't come to PI, you'll get deported.

There is certainly violence in PI, corrupt politicians, and rules and regulations that make no sense, at least to many foreigners. I'm not sure what country that statement is not true. But in general the people are kind and generous and open to foreigners.

As to being cheated, that also exists everywhere,including the West. There's a popular PI forum where guys constantly complain about cheating cabbies. Of course they never say that for every time they got cheated out of 100 pesos, they rode in a cab for dirt cheap by Western standards.

I've traveled a fair amount internationally. Somebody trying to worm a few extra dollars out of a foreigner in pretty standard everywhere. Knowing how to deal with it is part of learning to travel. Some do it better than others. There are ways to stand up for yourself without confrontation or risking deportation. And of course there are times when backing down is the wisest thing to do.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Next

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand