Jakarta; Living away from the US feels very liberating

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
ssjparris
Junior Poster

Jakarta; Living away from the US feels very liberating

Post by ssjparris »

another article on an expat's life including advice on jakarta

http://henrymakow.com/2013/07/so-you-wa ... dones.html

Jakarta - Living away from the US feels very liberating. I notice the difference every time I catch some US TV. The soft, weak men. The wise-cracking Jews who are the only ones allowed to speak their minds. The hard, demanding, high maintenance women, and the smart-aleck, disrespectful children. When I watch the programs, all I hear are women belittling men for not being emotional basket-cases or good enough in bed, unless the man is gay and then he's instantly OK no matter what his character. Honestly, I can't think of any part of modern American culture that I miss.

Here, no one defines himself by who they sleep with. There is a constant focus on religion (which can be annoying.) Children are respectful. Women are demur. Men are strong and confident. Diversity means being diverse and not marching in ideological lock-step. People speak their minds. Homosexuals are around, but if they even thought of demanding special rights and sensitivity training in schools, they would quickly find insurmountable barriers.

And when it comes to police state, the metal detectors aren't plugged in and most of the show is a put-on just to make Westerns feel secure. Beat police are not armed and most people take care of their own, avoiding contact with government agents of any kind for any reason. Everyone knows the agents are crooked and treat them accordingly.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS

You can get a visa on arrival ($25) for 30 days and renewable once before having to exit. A social visa ($45) with a sponsor is obtained at a consulate outside the country and lasts 45 days, renewable four times before exiting. After age 55, you can get an annual retirement visa ($800) with a sponsor and renewable up to four times before exit. If you are married to an Indo citizen, you can get the new 10-year permanent resident visa, but there have been some horror stories because the supporting regulations are not yet settled. It costs $5,000. There is a gray area that allows you to look for work on a tourist visa as long as you are not receiving income locally.

In the past couple of years, the barriers to entry have been going up all across Asia. In Indonesia, it used to be enough to be a native speaker of English to get a teaching job. At the moment, you need a BA in English, at minimum.
- See more at: http://henrymakow.com/2013/07/so-you-wa ... DB65a.dpuf

http://henrymakow.com/2013/07/so-you-wa ... dones.html

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

We should get Makow to join this site. He wrote a book called "A Long Way To Go For A Date", about his bridehunting experience in the Philippines.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."