Maybe we shouldn't really be stealing Chinese women ;)

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Maybe we shouldn't really be stealing Chinese women ;)

Post by publicduende »

From

http://english.cri.cn/7146/2013/02/26/2702s750680.htm

China's sex ratio is quite worrying nowadays. According to census data, China's sex ratio at birth was 108 males to every 100 females in the early 1980s, only slightly above the natural rate of 103 to 107. In 2000 the ratio was 116.9 males to 100 females, and in 2010 it was 118.08 males to 100 females. In some provinces, such as Anhui, Jiangxi and Shaanxi, the sex ratio had soared to more than 130 males. It is not only a population problem, but also a grave social problem as many men will fail to find a wife. It's estimated that by 2020, China will have 24 million more men than women of marriageable age on the mainland. That means men have to compete against each other to find a wife and women's parents in China are now requiring more than before. For example, some parents will only allow their daughter to marry if the suitor owns a home and a car. Professor Wei Shangjin of Columbia University in the US even said on Fortune magazine that lonely single men are contributing to China's rising house prices.

"The gender ratio imbalance can be attributed to multiple causes, including a traditional preference for sons, the practice of arranging for sons to take care of elderly parents, illegal sex-selective abortions and other factors."

"I am old enough to get married now, but girls, or at least girls' parents, hope I have a house. Although housing prices are extremely high, I have to buy one. My parents might help me with the down payment and I will pay the mortgage."

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

I hope Chinese men will start thinking about dating women of other ethnicities like Filipino, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Indian, Russian, etc. It's already happening with some Chinese men marrying foreign brides. I think that's a good thing because there's not enough females to go around in China. Why not do what this website teaches us to do: go abroad for companionship? Chinese men need to take that to heart...
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

The gender balance has little to no effect on middle and upper class men in China. It's mostly emptying out rural villages and shit where the guys are too poor to marry anyways. It's a f***ed up situation though.
Bane
Freshman Poster

Post by Bane »

People underestimate the demographic nightmare that is about to occur in China. The phenomenon of the male/female imbalance, coupled with the sub-replacement fertility rate, will no doubt create serious problems for China on its way to becoming a global superpower.
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." -Oscar Wilde

"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability is in the opponent" -Sun Tzu
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

So few foreigners in China it's not going to make a difference. But of course the Chinese love to blame foreigners (especially the Japanese) for every ill in their society.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 23rd, 2020, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Repatriate wrote:The gender balance has little to no effect on middle and upper class men in China. It's mostly emptying out rural villages and shit where the guys are too poor to marry anyways. It's a f***ed up situation though.
Bingo! DING DING DING! We have a winner! Any male coming from a middle-class to upper class family in China, does not have this problem at all. Even the ugly ones. The only thing that hurts those guys tend to be either being too picky, or their parents being too picky. Also the abundance of shengnu (leftover women) is a cultural factor that is basically "being too picky".

Even with the gender imbalance, there are sooooo many Chinese women in total number, it's not very noticeable at all.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Bane wrote:People underestimate the demographic nightmare that is about to occur in China. The phenomenon of the male/female imbalance, coupled with the sub-replacement fertility rate, will no doubt create serious problems for China on its way to becoming a global superpower.
WELL SAID! Replacement rate is going to bite them super hard! In fact that was one of the main things their yearly leadership meeting was centered around I heard. They are VERY afraid of it from what I understand. I would be too if I had to lead that many people into a possible economic slump. Problem is that the numbers folks, are not being taken serious right now due to politics of now. In fact even the US is going to have serious fertility issues, but does anyone give a shit here? Nope. I do not think ANY country in the world fully understands it, nor has the political capital to care about fixing it.

I think the Chinese leaders feel like if they lift the 1 child policy completely, too many people will have extra babies too quickly, and it will strain the system too fast. They probably think they cannot create enough jobs for the already high population they have already. Should be interesting. No other country, except India has numbers like them....
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

This gender ratio imbalance was talked about as being a serious problem since 1999. I remember when I was taking a sociology class in college the hispanic professor used to love talking about this. The reality is that no one is quite sure what will happen. I have a feeling that unrest will increase by an uncertain amount in the rural areas and crime may see a spike but people don't become crazed savages just because they can't marry.

This is a different comparison but if you look at America a lot of young men are living monk-like lifestyles where they aren't getting laid or getting any women at all despite having women around.

Maybe what the Chinese government should do is provide them with plenty of nerd hobbies to keep the men occupied ie. more internet cafes, free world of warcraft subscriptions, anime, xbox, etc.. :lol:
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Repatriate wrote:This gender ratio imbalance was talked about as being a serious problem since 1999. I remember when I was taking a sociology class in college the hispanic professor used to love talking about this. The reality is that no one is quite sure what will happen. I have a feeling that unrest will increase by an uncertain amount in the rural areas and crime may see a spike but people don't become crazed savages just because they can't marry.

This is a different comparison but if you look at America a lot of young men are living monk-like lifestyles where they aren't getting laid or getting any women at all despite having women around.

Maybe what the Chinese government should do is provide them with plenty of nerd hobbies to keep the men occupied ie. more internet cafes, free world of warcraft subscriptions, anime, xbox, etc.. :lol:
Can't rage when your testosterone is low, they eat too much soy and not enough red meat and other boosting vegetables. Same as America. All Males here are low on T from chemicals in the air, the food, and social re-conditioning. They aren't getting laid, but most won't ever get angry enough to do anything about it.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

When Chinese scholars talk about the differences between the "Chinese Dream" versus the "American Dream", the first point states "中国梦的目的是民族振兴,美国梦的目的是个人成功", which translates to "The goal of the Chinese Dream is the revitalization of the (Chinese) ethnicity, versus the goal of the American dream is personal, individual success."

Hmmm. Revitalizing the ethnicity by weeding out men who are least capable or competitive is... eugenics?
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

momopi wrote:When Chinese scholars talk about the differences between the "Chinese Dream" versus the "American Dream", the first point states "中国梦的目的是民族振兴,美国梦的目的是个人成功", which translates to "The goal of the Chinese Dream is the revitalization of the (Chinese) ethnicity, versus the goal of the American dream is personal, individual success."

Hmmm. Revitalizing the ethnicity by weeding out men who are least capable or competitive is... eugenics?
It's not revitalization when literally millions of men are born into situations where they have zero chance at social mobility or even passing on the genes. There are some poor guys in China who made it big but it's a bit like winning the lottery..they are extreme outliers. Most of the successful ones had some significant edge like family connections.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Repatriate wrote:
momopi wrote:When Chinese scholars talk about the differences between the "Chinese Dream" versus the "American Dream", the first point states "中国梦的目的是民族振兴,美国梦的目的是个人成功", which translates to "The goal of the Chinese Dream is the revitalization of the (Chinese) ethnicity, versus the goal of the American dream is personal, individual success."

It's not revitalization when literally millions of men are born into situations where they have zero chance at social mobility or even passing on the genes. There are some poor guys in China who made it big but it's a bit like winning the lottery..they are extreme outliers. Most of the successful ones had some significant edge like family connections.

Long-term poverty reduction by not having poorer men marry and have families?
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

xiongmao wrote:So few foreigners in China it's not going to make a difference. But of course the Chinese love to blame foreigners (especially the Japanese) for every ill in their society.
Very true! The Chinese have always had very imperialistic attitudes throughout history, even today.

Also, quite unfortunately, the average male in China is a middle-aged guy from the countryside who does the 3 S's: smoking, spitting, squatting (very crass habits, especially in urban coastal China). Not bashing all Chinese men in general of course, as I happen to be of Chinese descent myself, but months and months of travel in China confirm that this is the norm. Xiongmao, Everdred, and I really impressed a lady from Hangzhou by simply NOT being one of those guys. :P
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

momopi wrote: Long-term poverty reduction by not having poorer men marry and have families?
It's a waste of human potential and it doesn't necessarily work that way. Poorer communities won't just disappear they just age and consume more resources without any close relatives to help them out. It also saps the labor force.

A short term solution would be to have a massive war with some other country. I've heard the theory bandied about that the best thing China could do is have a massive ground conflict with India.