Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Asians and men touching

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Asians and men touching

Postby Cornfed » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:28 am

Just a frivolous issue here. Recently dealing with Asian furniture moving guys brought this issue to my mind. Some Asian cultures have taboos against men touching each other whereas others don't. For example, Chinese do, whereas Thais and Koreans don't. Now why exactly should that be?

The reason Western men now tend not to touch each other is because of the faggot taboo. Is this the same with Chinese, and if so why, given that faggotry is generally suppressed in China? As to why the others don't have such a taboo, in the case of the Thais, it seems that they see nothing wrong with being a faggot for some reason. In the case of the Koreans, actually being a faggot is frowned upon, but they seem not to interpret any male-male touching, up to and including fondling each others' genitals, as faggotry. I imagine this is because of saunaing together on a regular basis.

What about other Asian cultures? This may seem like a fairly silly thread, but it is this sort of stuff that leads to an insight into other people's worldview.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4645
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:22 am







Postby zboy1 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:09 am

In Korean culture, homosexuality and lesbianism is shunned, but the idea of men touching each other or women holding hands is not considered 'abnormal' if you will. It's just like with Arab cultures where homosexuality is looked-down upon, but the idea of men holding their hands together is not considered a sign of fag behavior. It's considered normal in these cultures...
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:33 am

Postby Cornfed » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:20 am

zboy1 wrote:In Korean culture, homosexuality and lesbianism is shunned, but the idea of men touching each other or women holding hands is not considered 'abnormal' if you will. It's just like with Arab cultures where homosexuality is looked-down upon, but the idea of men holding their hands together is not considered a sign of fag behavior. It's considered normal in these cultures...

Yes, but they do take it to extremes at times. Things like the "dong chim" and boys groping each other and such. In any case, why the difference with the Chinese and others?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4645
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:22 am

Postby zboy1 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:25 am

Cornfed wrote:
zboy1 wrote:In Korean culture, homosexuality and lesbianism is shunned, but the idea of men touching each other or women holding hands is not considered 'abnormal' if you will. It's just like with Arab cultures where homosexuality is looked-down upon, but the idea of men holding their hands together is not considered a sign of fag behavior. It's considered normal in these cultures...

Yes, but they do take it to extremes at times. Things like the "dong chim" and boys groping each other and such. In any case, why the difference with the Chinese and others?


I don't know why to be honest...and you're right, Korean men do take things too far in my opinion--with the touching, LOL.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:33 am

Postby Jester » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:34 am

Maybe The Chinese restraint has something to do with not letting the other guy's "chi" rub off on you.
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7869
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Postby Ghost » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:46 pm

I never see men do this here in Northeastern China. Girls certainly do it all the time though...
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 5749
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:23 am

Postby kai1275 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:09 pm

My wife told me to tell you guys about this last week when she saw The Professors post about that girl.

In Chinese culture touching people in public is greatly frowned upon, unless you are related to the person. Even handshakes are not necessarily liked either, but if they know you are a laowai, they will shake your hand because they know us Westerners like doing this alot. At first I shook everyone's hand my first time there and noticed the strange looks on everyone's face. When you are outside of a strong business centered place like Beijing or Shanghai, you can see the uncomfortable looks on their faces when you offer to shake hands.

Also as a man you should never touch or hug any female that is not related to you family/in-law wise in public. Even if no one tells you anything, it makes some people uncomfortable.

A traditional Chinese style bow-handshake like the ones you see in gongfu movies, is ok during Chinese New Year with the gongxi fa cai/shenti jian kan greetings, but that is also typically done with relatives and close friends.

Hope that helps.
kai1275
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Postby kai1275 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:11 pm

Ghost wrote:I never see men do this here in Northeastern China. Girls certainly do it all the time though...


Many Chinese girls like holding hands with their friends. Typically ~23 and younger do this. Usually it is also a signal that they are pretty immature and not worth trying to date seriously too. :wink:
kai1275
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Postby Cornfed » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:19 pm

kai1275 wrote: In Chinese culture touching people in public is greatly frowned upon, unless you are related to the person. Even handshakes are not necessarily liked either, but if they know you are a laowai, they will shake your hand because they know us Westerners like doing this alot. At first I shook everyone's hand my first time there and noticed the strange looks on everyone's face. When you are outside of a strong business centered place like Beijing or Shanghai, you can see the uncomfortable looks on their faces when you offer to shake hands.

So how would you explain teenaged girls wanting to hug me in public? Beginning of the end?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4645
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:22 am

Postby kai1275 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:42 pm

Cornfed wrote:
kai1275 wrote: In Chinese culture touching people in public is greatly frowned upon, unless you are related to the person. Even handshakes are not necessarily liked either, but if they know you are a laowai, they will shake your hand because they know us Westerners like doing this alot. At first I shook everyone's hand my first time there and noticed the strange looks on everyone's face. When you are outside of a strong business centered place like Beijing or Shanghai, you can see the uncomfortable looks on their faces when you offer to shake hands.

So how would you explain teenaged girls wanting to hug me in public? Beginning of the end?


Westernized a little bit or just being very friendly because they want your attention. Remember you can legally f**k 14 year olds in China. Loli culture is pretty strong and looked over big time in China. You just cannot marry them until they are 20. Some of them even chase older men too. I would strongly not recommend non-Chinese men doing this though.

EDIT: I changed the 22 to 20.
Last edited by kai1275 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kai1275
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Postby Cornfed » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:54 pm

Ghost wrote:I never see men do this here in Northeastern China.

See, that's weird. People (Koreans and Chinese) who are geographically and culturally similar have opposite perspectives on the issue. It warrants explaining.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4645
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:22 am

Postby kai1275 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:03 pm

Cornfed wrote:
Ghost wrote:I never see men do this here in Northeastern China.

See, that's weird. People (Koreans and Chinese) who are geographically and culturally similar have opposite perspectives on the issue. It warrants explaining.


No way man. Chinese and Korean have a handful of similarities, but they are VERY VERY different. For one, China is communist and S Korea is not. S Korea is fast becoming a predominately Christian country too, hence the extra Western-style behaviors. China is officially Atheist/Agnostic and actively suppresses any religions. Chinese are far more conservative, prudent, and many even lack basic information about sex! Porn is probably more prevalent in S Korea too % wise, even though they banned miniskirts....lol
kai1275
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 pm


Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests