Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


How much does height matter in the Philippines?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby HouseMD » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:16 pm

kai1275 wrote:
HouseMD wrote:You will be more than tall enough in the Philippines. Still, I am always confused by guys that are taller than 5'7" complaining about height in the USA. I have never known a male friend that had an issue with their height, really, and feel like this is just some crap getting spread on the internet to make men feel insecure. You should look abroad, but you should also work up your confidence in the meantime. Guys with low confidence are marks once their boots are on the ground in SEA or Eastern Europe, women can smell that shit from a mile away. Also, having big self esteem will open up a higher class of woman to you anywhere in the world.Always remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Disclaimer: I am 5'10" and might be completely unable to relate to your problem by virtue of the roughly two and a half centimeters that stands between us.


A 5'10 guy would not have any issues pulling tail in the US. With shoes on you look 6'. Anyone under that, will get dissed or passed over by the occasional broad, and if you are under 5'7 make that often.

I was just saying, he likely isn't missing a whole lot of opportunities at 5'9". He's the same height in boots or dress shoes as I am in my Chucks. If he works what he's got, he could do better anywhere in the world. He shouldn't let a couple of inches wreck his self esteem, that would just be sad.

While I don't encourage anyone to date AW, if you can get up the self esteem to snag a few one night stands in the 'ol USA, you will have enough to slay p***y everywhere you go. Build some self esteem here and it'll carry you everywhere.
User avatar
HouseMD
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1198
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:20 am
Location: Buried Under a Pile of Books







Postby reeferwill » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:38 pm

HouseMD wrote:
kai1275 wrote:
HouseMD wrote:You will be more than tall enough in the Philippines. Still, I am always confused by guys that are taller than 5'7" complaining about height in the USA. I have never known a male friend that had an issue with their height, really, and feel like this is just some crap getting spread on the internet to make men feel insecure. You should look abroad, but you should also work up your confidence in the meantime. Guys with low confidence are marks once their boots are on the ground in SEA or Eastern Europe, women can smell that shit from a mile away. Also, having big self esteem will open up a higher class of woman to you anywhere in the world.Always remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Disclaimer: I am 5'10" and might be completely unable to relate to your problem by virtue of the roughly two and a half centimeters that stands between us.


A 5'10 guy would not have any issues pulling tail in the US. With shoes on you look 6'. Anyone under that, will get dissed or passed over by the occasional broad, and if you are under 5'7 make that often.

I was just saying, he likely isn't missing a whole lot of opportunities at 5'9". He's the same height in boots or dress shoes as I am in my Chucks. If he works what he's got, he could do better anywhere in the world. He shouldn't let a couple of inches wreck his self esteem, that would just be sad.

While I don't encourage anyone to date AW, if you can get up the self esteem to snag a few one night stands in the 'ol USA, you will have enough to slay p***y everywhere you go. Build some self esteem here and it'll carry you everywhere.



I have confidence in myself. That is not the problem. I just see too much evidence that shows decent looking women in the USA don't like men under a certain height. And it also doesn't help that I can have every good gene going for me but if the taller person does too, he will most likely get the woman. Men do it to women; we don't prefer overweight women even though the majority of the time they are much nicer and try much harder to accommodate men. People judge based on looks and yes being 5'10 is a big advantage over 5'9 at least your not below average height.
reeferwill
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:46 am

Postby Jester » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:02 pm

reeferwill wrote:Men do it to women; we don't prefer overweight women even though the majority of the time they are much nicer and try much harder to accommodate men. People judge based on looks and yes being 5'10 is a big advantage over 5'9 at least your not below average height.


Every guy wants a model, and models do turn heads. But somehow fat chicks DO get bf's.

Every girl wants a tall men, and tall men do turn female heads. So what? If you f**k, you win.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7869
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Postby HouseMD » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:56 pm

You claim to have confidence in yourself while at the same time shooting yourself down with some nonexistent "other guy" who has everything you have and more. True confidence would be not comparing yourself to others and recognizing your strengths in the situation. The average height of females in the USA is 5'5" and the height gap in married couples is 5.5", so technically, you are a pair of nice boots away from the perfect height, on average. I just want you to think critically about it, because if you are the sort of guy who brings himself down a notch here, you will do the same elsewhere. You might see a taller or wealthier or more charismatic guy at the bar and let it get to you while you're in the PI, just as you would in the States.

Be the best you that you can be, so that when that trip report comes rolling in, it is the best damn one we've ever read. Because you've got it all, you said so yourself, so there's nothing that can hold you back but you- and don't let that happen.
User avatar
HouseMD
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1198
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:20 am
Location: Buried Under a Pile of Books

Postby Jester » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:35 am

Also, if going after AW, and concerned about the issue, maybe try daytime approaches, at stores and gym, where girls are casually dressed and in flat shoes.

Followed up by a lunch date, and close the deal.
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7869
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Postby reeferwill » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:30 am

I appreciate the insight guys.

I'm not the most gregarious person and definately not a ladies man when it comes to women in the U.S.

I've been having tons of success on Filipino Cupid with decent looking women on there though. They like my pictures and all. And I think my personality matches up well with certain types of Asian women. I've found the Filipinas to be really nice and gentle so far. Can't wait to get over there!
reeferwill
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:46 am

Postby davewe » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:12 pm

I think there is some subtle missing of the point in this discussion. In the West the issue is whether a woman will "accept" a man under a certain height. Now you can debate what that height is or you can question a man's confidence because he has experienced not being accepted.

In the Philippines, it's the exact opposite; the girl worries whether you will accept her. My Filipina girl is somewhere between 5'2"-5'3" which is almost tall there. I am not tall by Western standards, but have always managed and generally had gfs/wives as tall or taller than me.

Anyway, my girl just bought a pair of 4" high heels. She was not worried because while wearing them I would not appear much taller than her. She was worried that I would "reject" her because she was no longer considerably shorter than me. I assured her that I liked her in the heels and had no such problem, and she finally relaxed about it.

If you are in the Philippines and meet a girl who thinks you are not tall enough, handsome enough or muscular enough - you have definitely met the wrong Filipina!
davewe
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1391
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:21 am

Postby Maverick » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:09 am

I'm 5'6 and I do reasonably well with girls here in the US.

5'9 is definitely not short. Height isn't your problem.
Maverick
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 10:46 pm

Postby reeferwill » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:38 pm

Maverick wrote:I'm 5'6 and I do reasonably well with girls here in the US.

5'9 is definitely not short. Height isn't your problem.


Are you mixed or latino at all? I find the height discrimination coming mainly from white women.
reeferwill
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:46 am

Postby kai1275 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:48 pm

reeferwill wrote:
Maverick wrote:I'm 5'6 and I do reasonably well with girls here in the US.

5'9 is definitely not short. Height isn't your problem.


Are you mixed or latino at all? I find the height discrimination coming mainly from white women.


White and black women mainly do this in the US. Asian and Latino women usually are too short themselves to hate on a guy like that. Height is not always the deal breaker if you have other things going for you like money, statuses, etc.
kai1275
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Postby Chad114 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:15 am

kai1275 wrote:
reeferwill wrote:
Maverick wrote:I'm 5'6 and I do reasonably well with girls here in the US.

5'9 is definitely not short. Height isn't your problem.


Are you mixed or latino at all? I find the height discrimination coming mainly from white women.


White and black women mainly do this in the US. Asian and Latino women usually are too short themselves to hate on a guy like that. Height is not always the deal breaker if you have other things going for you like money, statuses, etc.


Yep and on top of tall many us black women require that you are not skinny.
Chad114
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:37 pm

Postby mguy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:16 am

I am here now and I have a chance to really observe this.

I am in Manila and the average height here is 5'8. It sounds tall but it seems right from my approximations. There are lots of tall Filipinos and I'm 6'0!

There are the worker types (construction workers, vendors) and they might be average 5'6.

The women are short.

Maybe strap a camera on my head to prove it? What do you guys want?
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

mguy
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 749
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:09 pm

Postby reeferwill » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:45 pm

mguy wrote:I am here now and I have a chance to really observe this.

I am in Manila and the average height here is 5'8. It sounds tall but it seems right from my approximations. There are lots of tall Filipinos and I'm 6'0!

There are the worker types (construction workers, vendors) and they might be average 5'6.

The women are short.

Maybe strap a camera on my head to prove it? What do you guys want?


Wow I thought it was like 5'4 for guys over there.
reeferwill
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:46 am

Postby Repatriate » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:58 pm

reeferwill wrote:
mguy wrote:I am here now and I have a chance to really observe this.

I am in Manila and the average height here is 5'8. It sounds tall but it seems right from my approximations. There are lots of tall Filipinos and I'm 6'0!

There are the worker types (construction workers, vendors) and they might be average 5'6.

The women are short.

Maybe strap a camera on my head to prove it? What do you guys want?


Wow I thought it was like 5'4 for guys over there.

Nutrition is probably getting better for SEA and NEA over the last few decades. There's a lot more obesity but also men are getting taller due to more western style diets that are rich in dairy and protein. That diet does lead to larger physical body sizes but probably shorter life spans overall.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2533
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:39 pm

Postby Rock » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:20 pm

mguy wrote:I am here now and I have a chance to really observe this.

I am in Manila and the average height here is 5'8. It sounds tall but it seems right from my approximations. There are lots of tall Filipinos and I'm 6'0!

There are the worker types (construction workers, vendors) and they might be average 5'6.

The women are short.

Maybe strap a camera on my head to prove it? What do you guys want?


It really isn't that tall. You are overestimating. Maybe if you are hanging in certain exclusive districts, it might approach that. But even then, it's gonna be more like 5'6" or 5'7". If you go into the provinces, the average drops down even further. Overall measured average male height in Phils. for young adult males is probably around 5'4" to 5'5".

Keep it real. 5'8" is the average male height in S. Korea, prolly the tallest nation in E/SE Asia. The thing about being out in public is that taller people are more visible. If you fall at average level, you will feel shorter than average.

If you are 6 feet even in the States, you can feel positively short when you walk through say O'Hare Airport in Chicago. The taller people have a weird psychological effect in tht they catch your eye more than the shorties.
I'll be in Manila fairly soon. If we meet up, perhaps we can do a visual survey together and see what we come up with.

Phils. is a great country for shorter men to go to as is Indonesia, Cambodia, Vietnam, and certain countries in Central America. It's a no brainer.

BTW, some girls in Phils like taller guys. But it's just so much easier to be tall there. Even at 5'9", you are considered tall by most. Some of the girls I've met who wanna date foreigners have told me they are interested for at least 1 of 2 reasons:

1. It's hard to find intellectual Filipino males who r not gay.

2. It's hard to find taller Fillipino males and often when you do, they are taken or dirty dick (player).
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4123
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:16 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests