Moving to Thailand Part 1: Is Living in Thailand For You?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

anamericaninbangkok wrote:
I know it may sound harsh but if you have a fear of flying, get onto a plane. If you have a fear of heights, go skydiving, if you have a fear of being punched, take boxing lessons and get hit a few times. Whatever it is, attack your fears, don't walk around them and find other ways to avoid them.
Worth repeating.

+1

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

In2dadark
Freshman Poster

Post by In2dadark »

If you really want to land a hot looking woman, go to Issan, drive a motorcycle around and tell people you want a beautiful girlfriend or wife. They'll come out of the woodwork. But you'll probably have to take care of the girl and her family for life, she may not be very educated, and you will probably feel like a fish out of water. If you really want a hot looking woman, they're easy to find in Issan BECAUSE THEY NEED YOUR MONEY! .
Works for me...
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

Here's a very informative website on living, working, nightclubbing and mongering in Thailand:

www.stickmanbangkok.com

Particularly "Stickman Weekly Column" and "Readers' Submissions"
Rich
Freshman Poster

thailand in the 1980s

Post by Rich »

anamericaninbangkok wrote:
xiongmao wrote:Yeah, Thailand has been ruined, or at least Bangkok has.

I've done worse here dating wise than I was in Thailand.

Is it down to me? No. The problem is that top quality women here won't date me, because of what they've seen in the past as far as other farangs go.

Like 3 days ago I was walking down Sukhumvit late at night, somewhere around Soi 50. A couple of Indian guys were carrying really heavy loads. So some idiot farang comes up to them, and starts assaulting them, making them drop their parcels, and generally making fun of them.

I was mentally willing a few Thais with iron bars to come out and beat the guy to a pulp.

Stupid farangs have ruined this place for us all.
Xiongmao - seriously, from the time you've spent here and from what you've written, you know absolutely f**k-all about Thailand. You of all people shouldn't even say a f***ing peep about this place.

You won't even try to learn the language and you act like you're so much better than the "stupid farang" or other farang.

You get pissed when the women you meet online are working instead of meeting with you, you get pissed when you can't land a decent Thai women, you're constantly bitching about the floods, the internet, how the place doesn't compare to China.

You haven't got a f***ing clue what this place was like in the 80's and 90's other than what you've been told. I was here in the 90's and while Bangkok is definitely different than back then, there's still plenty of fun to be found. PLENTY.

You think this place is shitty for dating because it's changed because of the stupid farang? Please...IT'S YOU PAL! You won't learn the language, you think you know what's what and you don't know shit, and I'm sure this rubs off. From what you've said you only meet Thai girls from online dating sites...why is it the majority of girls I know wouldn't dream of going online to meet a man? Perhaps because they're not desperate for some guy to take care of them or because they're not trying to score a big fish? I know this is a generalization but dude, even at 51 I can land 25-30 year old women with relative ease! These are not hi-so girls or models, I'll admit, but some are very attractive and range from lower-middle to middle class. Most are educated and have graduated from college.

I speak Thai so I can carry on a conversation with them. This does matter. The reason top quality Thai women won't date you is YOU. I don't necessarily mean this as a personal attack. But top quality women don't tend to date men easily because they're looking for top quality men. It takes time. You don't speak the language, how fast are you going to get to know a Thai woman? I don't care what anyone says here, if you don't speak the same language as your partner, how can you get to know them on anything other than a superficial level? Just today, I went to Khaosan Road to get a foot spa done. I started talking to the girl, and she spoke pretty good English. There were no pretenses and I told her I had a wife and two kids. When I asked if she had a farang boyfriend, she said no and that she definitely wasn't going to find one on Khaosan Road. "Most foreigners know nothing about Thai women and Thai culture and I don't want to date someone who knows very little about my country and people." That's you Xiongmao...to the tee.

Many farang and Thais do not like Indians. You should know this. Just because one foreigner messes with several Indians though doesn't mean Thailand is going to shit.

Thailand isn't going to shit, neither is the PI or Cambodia or anywhere else in SEA. But far too many dumb asses come here thinking they're going to land some 8 or 9 with ease. Or all Thai women can be bought. Thai women don't like this...if you act anything remotely like this, you'll never hook up. My wife saw a buddy of mine whistling, make comments to hot Thai girls, and staring at them...ogling them. Immediate she said, "He's never going to get a good Thai doing that."

If you really want to land a hot looking woman, go to Issan, drive a motorcycle around and tell people you want a beautiful girlfriend or wife. They'll come out of the woodwork. But you'll probably have to take care of the girl and her family for life, she may not be very educated, and you will probably feel like a fish out of water. If you really want a hot looking woman, they're easy to find in Issan BECAUSE THEY NEED YOUR MONEY! The hot ones with money want what they want. If you don't fit the description, they're not going to simply lay down and take money from you like many Issan women will. They don't have to do so because they already have a good job and have their own money!

Seriously, I know I get down on some people for saying things about Thailand, but Xiongmao you're by far the worst. You even commenting on how bad Thailand has become makes me laugh because...how the f**k would you know?! You've been here 5 months! So it's gotten that bad? Or you're just taking people's word for it? I'm telling you - the problems you have here - THEY'RE BECAUSE OF YOUR ATTITUDE AND YOUR MENTALITY AND YOUR LACK OF KNOWLEDGE AND YOUR INABILITY TO COMMUNICATE IN THEIR LANGUAGE.
I visited Thailand in the 1980s - I had an amazing time. I haven't visited since. If I go back, I'll let you guys know how it compares :)
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Post by celery2010 »

my impression of Xiongmao is that he has never really spent much time in and around different cultures and is having a difficult time adjusting.

This is perfectly normal--- and the #1 reason why most fail. It normally takes 2-3 different "exposures" to a place over time to truly understand and get used to a new place.

This is why many retired Americans visit a place once-- have difficulties and go back to Podunk, having given up.

I know when i was younger-- some new places really took time to truly understand and get used to, often taking multiple trips.

At least many people in the States/Canada have many Asians/ Asian communities where they can get some exposure before going over--

But many in Europe (and the UK) have minimal exposure to Asia, its people or culture.

As a final note-- indeed there are too many foreigners in certain places in Thailand- Bangkok, Chiang Ma, the islands. Have you considered the idea of going to a smaller or lesser known city? Hit a city in the NE (they really are not that bad, from what you'd think, you'd think Isaan was dirt poor!).

Or even outer districts of the Bangkok area--

It is true that there are lot of foreigners in Thailand-- absolutely-- it's the number 1 destination in the world now days. you could also try any number of other asian/se asian countries.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

My Asian trip this year has mostly been the best of times and worst of times. But 99% of the time it's been great.

However, for the first time on this trip, I finally snapped. I was in my hotel room and I started to smell smoke. It was really acrid and I started to have breathing difficulties. As I live quite near the port and oil refinery here I was worried there had been an industrial accident or something.

Anyway, I go downstairs in search of better air. And I find that a member of hotel staff is burning plastic folders and papers. In the ground floor car park, right under my room.

So I tell them to put the fire out.

I go back upstairs and wait five minutes.

Nothing happens.

So I go down and find that instead of putting the fire out, they're actually burning more stuff.

Anyway, I cause massive loss of face all round.

Sure, this is Thailand. But if this had happened at home, the hotel owner would now be in some very serious trouble.

Quite apart from the smoke and the toxins released from burning plastic, the outside of the hotel here is partly wood, and there are vehicles parked there. A couple of decades ago I was working with a guy who lit a fire that got out of control. Cue for the fire brigade to arrive before he burnt the whole place down.

Anyway, the staff still don't seem to understand that lighting a fire inside a hotel is not a good idea. I was going to report them, but to whom? It appears that Thailand has no government department to regulate hotels. For a major tourist destination this is a shocker. Especially since last week I went to the ivory tower that is the government office complex in Northern Bangkok. I mean what do the mandarins do here all day? Even China had smoke hoods in every hotel room I ever stayed in, and the doors had escape routes printed on them. Here there is nothing.

As for people going as crazy as I did, yeah maybe stupid farang and all that but I did also see it happen in China. Suffice to say you never want to serve a Chinese guy's wife undercooked food!

This is very much a cultural thing though. When that Thai Airways plane crashed a month back, first thing the Thais did was paint over the logo so the plane couldn't be identified in photos. One wonders if they let the people off the plane before getting the paintbrushes out.

On the upside Falcon and I have had some wonderful adventures this week. And last night I saw the royal family's motorcade speed through a sealed off Sukhumvit, as well as seeing an Issan band out collecting money to add to one of those money tree things (not sure what these things are, but the bar girls were eagerly awaiting its arrival).

As for celery's comment about not spending time about other cultures - well I am from the UK which is arguably the most multicultural country in the world. But lighting fires inside hotels, that's 3rd world culture.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

Ummm...you're living in a third world culture, what do you expect? Did you ask to speak with the manager?
MarksBKK
Freshman Poster

Post by MarksBKK »

Living in Thailand is great. I live in BKK and love it. Sure it's big, busy, polluted and dirty....but I still adore it.

Long live BKK!