Unmentioned Dangers in the Philippines

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Cornfed wrote:It seems that anywhere you go as a white Western man, certain locals are going to have you by the balls and can squeeze any time they want. This is a major symptom of the decline of the West. There was a time when people had good reason to be afraid of us. It would be great if Western men could become reacquainted with their balls and sense of group solidarity and begin to stand up for each other again. Since there is not much chance of that, about the only way to defend yourself is to become friends with local big-shots. Then when bullshit charges are filed against you, you can just make a phone call and the charges will go away. Of course that puts you in the debt of the big-shots, which, as they are likely to be essentially gangsters, puts you in their pockets.
Solutions. I like solutions.

Thanks.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

xiongmao wrote:I don't know about the Philippines but in Thailand everyone and everything is photographed in a police station. Even if you're in an embarrassing situation (e.g: ladyboy steals all your possessions - and your clothes!!!) you'll still end up with your photo all over newspapers and websites.

As long as it is in Thai, who cares? They see some chicken gut-looking letters and your photo. Maybe you are receiving a reward. In the Philippine press, it is all in English and can be looked up with a simple Google search.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Quality post Ladislav. I learned alot from that. Very interesting indeed. Like someone else said, the differences between the Philippines and China is very different indeed! One thing is similar though. Face. I can see that face is still highly important and not to be f***ed with at all!
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Post by celery2010 »

i was in the PI last year, and i think that everything that ladislav says is true--

HOWEVER-- most issues come from 2 sources-- losing your cool and getting angry and women.

Women in 2 ways-- 1) Beware there are people trying to set you up

2) If you become involved long term-- people (friend& relatives) may try to sponge off of you.

It's best to appear poor-- unless you are in the super upscale areas-- not having large assets

However, if you are used to dealing with rough areas in places in America or Latin America- then the PI is not a big deal.

I went to the sketchiest places and walked at all hours of the night, went to completely local places-- never any issues.

Indeed i met a Korean guy who told me about some of his bad experiences.

But i think this is a similar issue in Latin America-- people get killed there too, just for being a westerner.

Thailand is not that safe either-- but most of it has to do with people there long term-- large amounts of money, a woman or a business deal.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

But i think this is a similar issue in Latin America-- people get killed there too, just for being a westerner.
Latin Americans are Westerners, too. It has to do with looking whiter than the locals.

Granted, all of these warnings are of things that happen, but happen rarely, but still, they might happen, so you need to be on guard. Just like you should be on guard against crime in NYC. Americans know how to protect themselves in the USA, and live good lives here. Japanese, otoh, do not, so they become victims of crime in NYC, LA, SF, etc. Hence, a similar warning to ( white/black)Americans who still don't know all the hidden dangers lurking there.

The Philippines is a great place to live, and most of your days will be full of happy events and very friendly people. Most people have nothing bad happen to them. But bad things exist, and you should be aware of those just in case. What I described above is never mentioned, so I thought I would.
It's best to appear poor-- unless you are in the super upscale areas-- not having large assets
To an average Filipino, the words "white","foreigner", "American" and "Westerner" are synonymous. London is in America. Ukraine is part of America. A Spaniard and an Iranian are " Americanos". And all Americans are rich in their minds. So, you can appear poor, but they won't believe you.

Mguy's response is appreciated, but he's not a white guy (or a black guy,) so he would not be able to see the world/Philippines through our eyes and empathize or give advice. Just like we cannot see America through his eyes. And from my experience with Asian Americans whom I met in Asia, they are not necessarily on your side.

I went to the sketchiest places and walked at all hours of the night, went to completely local places-- never any issues.
No shyt! The anecdotal " I never had any issues" does not mean the issues do not exist. I was in Saudi Arabia for 6 years and never had any issues, but there were terrorist attacks there all the time, and people were dying. On a compound next to ours, 18 people were killed by terrorists. But I never had any issues.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Re: Unmentioned Dangers in the Philippines

Post by chanta76 »

Sounds to me that the Philippines is just a shithole.
Man With a Plan
Freshman Poster

Post by Man With a Plan »

But America is the worst place in the world, right folks? /sarcasm
BACK IN IT! || Happier Abroad Discord Server now open!

Knowledge Seeker | Sleeping Revolutionary | Lone Wolf
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

chanta76 wrote:Sounds to me that the Philippines is just a shithole.
Well, shithole, it depends on your wallet.

http://reports.weforum.org/global-gende ... port-2016/

The World Economic Forum, a pro-feminist organization, lists Philippines in its ranking as no. 7 regarding equality of men and women.
Philippines is listed as the no. 1 Asian country regarding its feminist-friendly legal performance.

This listing alone should made you - as a foreign man visiting the Philippines - highly mistrusting. Compare this with Japan which is holding no. 111 out of 144 countries.

The problem is only with this data that many people in the Philippines are remarkably poor, men and women and children are equally poor.
By economic data it is about 3 times poorer than Thailand. Most ordinary people don't care about such laws, they fight to survive.

About myself I am visiting Philippines because I meet people there I know since many years, these are people around my Filipina fosterdaughter in Cebu and Bohol and some former contract workers in Japan who retired in Leyte. I am not familiar with the present situation in Manila, but for sure a large part of this large city is nothing but a slum.

As mentioned by the OP you have to be careful and mistrusting, many Filipino are good people, but some are nothing but human trash.

While it seems Philippines is so cheap - for the locals - you should be aware that a foreigner cannot always live in the same way.
Personal safety is a major concern, streets are not always safe - living in a guarded condominium building or a gated community is not a bad idea.
I found that cities getting rather dark past 9:00 PM, also never allow unknown people - regardless if foreigner or local to visit you in your private rooms.

All in all, I can only say, after checking out Philippines and Thailand, I decided for Thailand - I have now my second home near Pattaya since many years and I can only say, Pattaya is much better than Cebu.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Yet you have poster who think the Philippines is heaven. More I read these forums I think not.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

A lot of people judge the Philippines on polluted, chaotic cities like Manila and Cebu which is unfair.

Over 7,000 islands, beaches galore, waterfalls, volcanoes and other natural beauties (including the women) :D

What's not to like?

I haven't heard of the yelling rule though, but no doubt every country in the world has its fair share of daft laws if the surface gets scratched deep enough.

Here in England, there's a medieval law which still applies today. Kill a Scotsman with a bow and arrow at a certain place and at a certain time and you'll get away with.....um......murder!. :wink:
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

mguy wrote: Do not be over forty and dating anyone younger than 25!!! There is a limit to what is acceptable here. Maybe in the deep deep province you can get away with that.. but not in city centers!
I can imagine Public Duende doing a facepalm right now if he reads this.
Man With a Plan
Freshman Poster

Post by Man With a Plan »

How does the Philippines have that many islands? I look on a map and see a handful at most. Anyway, I second Zambales (who is on his way to being another HA rarity--a sensible poster). If PI has THAT MANY ISLANDS, ya'll have no excuse for gluing your asses to Manilla and Cebu.
BACK IN IT! || Happier Abroad Discord Server now open!

Knowledge Seeker | Sleeping Revolutionary | Lone Wolf
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Man With a Plan wrote:How does the Philippines have that many islands? I look on a map and see a handful at most. Anyway, I second Zambales (who is on his way to being another HA rarity--a sensible poster). If PI has THAT MANY ISLANDS, ya'll have no excuse for gluing your asses to Manilla and Cebu.
A huge part of these 7000 islands is very small, not suitable to live there - another part is too dangerous for foreigners, like the Sulu area.

About Manila or Cebu, it is difficult to avoid them, as your airplane usually arrives in these two cities.

And about moving around, your personal safety is often an important issue, especially in Southern Philippines.

Poverty cannot be denied, it is existing everywhere, in cities as well as in rural areas. A large part of Manila, Cebu and other cities are nothing but a slum - millions of men, women and children living in the garbage.

To create your own home is more difficult and more expensive in Philippines, compared for example with Thailand. Philippines never had a reasonable land reform and maybe 80 super-rich families own 80 percent of all Philippines, including entire mountains, beaches - which in other countries would be considered as public property not for sale.

Another problem is construction material, which often has to be imported, and as there are no bridges among the islands it has to be loaded on ships etc. This all is increasing the costs of living. Electricity is also expensive, as there is no good network existing and the islands are not connected to each other etc.

To enjoy a really comfortable life in Philippines is not so cheap, be aware of that as a foreigner if you want to settle down there. Medical fees are another problem, most people do not have any health insurance - only solution is 'Pay cash or die early'.
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

:twisted: Jonny Law Says:
"The best place to meet chicks are in refugee camps and war-zones!"
1. Refugee camps are run by the military and takes courage to find a chick and bang her without getting caught.
2. War-zones are full of cock-blockers with guns who like protecting their women. It is best to be buddies with a General before going to a war-zone.
If it ain't refugee it ain't right for me!
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Man With a Plan wrote:How does the Philippines have that many islands? I look on a map and see a handful at most. Anyway, I second Zambales (who is on his way to being another HA rarity--a sensible poster). If PI has THAT MANY ISLANDS, ya'll have no excuse for gluing your asses to Manilla and Cebu.
Like Yohan stated, the majority are tiny islands - mostly uninhabited. I think only Canada, Indonesia and maybe Finland, has more islands than the Philippines.