Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

China's Unfireable English Teachers

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby travelsouth » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:56 am

Cornfed wrote:
travelsouth wrote:This is the problem. People just want everything handed to them without getting the proper training and putting in the work

No that is not the problem. People are getting absurd amounts of training. The problem is that most of the time when they get the training there are no freaking jobs. Are you black or something? Maybe what you are saying is indeed the problem with blacks. Not so much other people.

I've explained it. Mike Rowe has explained it. You hear the narrative on both liberal and conservative channels. People get all kinds of education but they never bother to pay attention to what positions are open and being hired for. I'm whiter than Mike Rowe and there are plenty of WHITE middle management types sitting with their thumb up their butt after what the recession did to their careers because they don't want to learn a skill that will get them hired.

There are all kinds of "educated" architects sitting on the sidelines. Sure they are educated but we just don't need any more architects. This sort of conversation literally enrages technical recruiters trying to place jobs. People so out of touch they keep whining and complaining about no opportunities when they literally can't find folks willing to do the work they need done.

3 million well paid jobs are open. If Americans really wanted to work the unemployment % would be nil.
travelsouth
Freshman Poster

Postby Ghost » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:59 am

There are a lot more than 3 million people in need of decent jobs that pay a livable wage. Far be it from me to defend the average American. I am merely pointing out the absurdities of what you are posting. travelsouth. So if we follow what you say to the logical conclusion, then somehow, something magical happened a few years ago, and suddenly, hard-working Americans all-of-a-sudden just stopped wanting to work out of the blue. If you are so determined that you are telling the truth about this, then why don't you start a business in which you help unemployed Americans find all those decent millions of jobs you say are out there. You'd be very successful...if what you are claiming is true.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby travelsouth » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:08 am

Ghost wrote:There are a lot more than 3 million people in need of decent jobs that pay a livable wage.

This is like arguing with someone that tells you the earth is 5,000 years old and not 4.3 billion years old no matter what science or statistics say. Are you not capable of firing up the google and searching for all the news reports and studies that focus on how despite the unemployment in this country there are tons of jobs that go unfilled. I know employers off the top of my head that are hunting for people that want to work.

Rowe explained it. At some point people stopped wanting to do the work. Everyone wanted to be an architect and nobody wanted to be a diesel mechanic. Jobs are open for anyone willing to take even a 2 week class or get some technical training.

This is just getting ridiculous. Forget about all the lazy at women getting fat and running up their debt.

These are jobs that can be done by men. Yea you are right and Rowe, Forbes, the Wall Street Journal, and all the technical recruiters are wrong. I tell you there are good paying jobs out there and instead of asking what are they and how do I get started you just say no there aren't. Not something you'd find in my grandfathers generation. It's like facts don't matter anymore.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/20 ... -unfilled/

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44838614

My colleague Herb Greenberg calls it simply “train, don’t complain.â€￾

I'll listen to all the bitching about the local women and dating. Those are some legit beefs that I share. But when people tell me there aren't opportunities for them I CALL BS. Depending on the source there are 3 to 4 million open jobs that pay something legit (not Wal-Mart cashier crap). And instead of saying what are those jobs... the response is well unemployment is higher than that. Fact is there are 3 million openings and only 1 you. If you want to train and you want to work you can have one of those jobs.

Then you've got the cash to go overseas and pluck whatever chica you like.
travelsouth
Freshman Poster

Postby Ghost » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:15 am

Like I said, if what you say is true, you should start a business where you help all the unemployed get these supposedly available jobs. You'd make a lot of money. There are and will always be opportunities. There are not nearly enough, however. And with these 3 million jobs you keep talking about, they must not be important enough to hire someone without experience and then train them. Ergo, they must not be very important. It's obviously cheaper for the whorporations to save the money by not hiring for those positions. Millions would be willing to work them if they would be hired. But I know the score on how it works. No experience, no job. Will you hire me and train me? No, we just want X years of experience. Don't call us, we'll call you. Resume gets thrown in trash. Even getting a cashier job is difficult nowadays and yet supposedly there are 3 million jobs worth a lot more that no one will work. It obviously has nothing to with the whorporations. It's the fault of all those people who just woke up one day a few years ago and suddenly lost all will to work. Bullshit.

As for me, it's no longer my problem. I got the f**k out of dodge a few months ago.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby travelsouth » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:28 am

Ghost wrote:Like I said, if what you say is true, you should start a business where you help all the unemployed get these supposedly available jobs.

I've done technical recruiting. Made 65k a year doing it with the bonuses. IT jobs are always hard to fill. Some just take two years of technical training. Truck driving jobs are hard to fill and the training is free and very short.

It is no different than when I talk to guys that think the whole foreign women thing is a scam. They just don't know any better. As for people that keep ignoring all the recruiters, Forbes, The Wall Street Journal, etc... you are just as clueless when it comes to good paying jobs.
travelsouth
Freshman Poster

Postby momopi » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:25 pm

Ghost wrote:Like I said, if what you say is true, you should start a business where you help all the unemployed get these supposedly available jobs. You'd make a lot of money. There are and will always be opportunities. There are not nearly enough, however. And with these 3 million jobs you keep talking about, they must not be important enough to hire someone without experience and then train them.

What the Forbes article does not mention is that, many employers prefer to hire those who are currently employed. There is an active discrimination against hiring unemployed people, with assumption that long term unemployment = skill atrophy. So if you're unemployed and looking, it's harder and you have to jump through more hoops and bigger barriers.

The jobs ARE out there, but one should not expect there would be enough jobs for "everyone", or that it'd be "easy" to get one.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Mr Natural » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:35 am

Ghost, you are arguing here with a young single kid who actually thinks that truck drivers make big money. He has obviously never had to pay for such things as a family or medical care, which is probably why he thinks 50k is a "big paycheck".
Everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth
Mike Tyson
Mr Natural
Freshman Poster

Postby travelsouth » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:37 am

momopi wrote:. So if you're unemployed and looking.

This is a legit point. Lot's of people make the mistake of leaving a job before they've secured another job on their own accord. But there are some that get trapped with that gap in employment after getting let go.

As for truck driving jobs. It's just one example of a job that requires very little training. If you want the big bucks you've got to do more training. But there are local food service delivery jobs that are always open that pay 40 or 50k

If that's not enough to pay your bills get more specialized training. I'm just putting together a response in comparison to teaching English in China. That's it. Hell I've got an MBA. I put in the work. I wouldn't want to work for 50k. That's exactly why I would never work for 1.5k a month.
travelsouth
Freshman Poster

Postby Ghost » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:58 am

50k is plenty of money. It's quite good where I am from. I would be in America still if I was making that kind of money. But so many people are making way under that that it is crazy to be arguing whether not 50k a year is good money. Where the hell are we talking about, New York?

f**k, I'd move back there tomorrow if I could get a 50k job that has paid training and will actually give me a chance. What's next? You're going to tell people to get a Master's in Bullshit Artistry like you?
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby travelsouth » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:46 pm

Ghost wrote:

f**k, I'd move back there tomorrow if I could get a 50k job that has paid training and will actually give me a chance. What's next? You're going to tell people to get a Master's in Bullshit Artistry like you?

No. I've suggested people at least be open to a couple weeks of training so they could drive a truck. I've already posted an opportunity for free training plus a salary that meets the level for you to move back tomorrow... and yet we are still going around in circles while you ignore the obvious. You can get a cdl and drive a truck making the money you want.

The job is right in front of your face but rather than accept that we now insult other people that went to school. smh.
travelsouth
Freshman Poster

Postby Mr Natural » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:23 am

50k isn't what it used to be, at least not in major cities and especially if that's your household income (ie your wife doesn't work). Now if you live in a small town or cheap area, or if you make that plus the wife makes 30 or 40k, then maybe, but then you have latchkey kids. 50k isn't much anymore to raise a family on, it was not long ago but the cost of living is so much higher now than just 5 or 10 years ago. In any event, I don't see too many truck drivers living high out there. Not saying it's a bad job, but I don't think you would find many who would say it's a "big paycheck".
Everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth
Mike Tyson
Mr Natural
Freshman Poster

Previous

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand