Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

I will be teaching public school in Shenzen soon...

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

I will be teaching public school in Shenzen soon...

Postby zboy1 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:01 pm

Can anyone tell me more about Shenzen? My recruiter will move me there from my present location pretty soon. How are the women there, how is the city like, how are the people there? How is the food? How expensive is the city? Thanks for any info.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Ghost » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:44 am

I've heard of it, but don't remember what if it is considered a good or bad place to go. So are you moving because your last job was so bad? I remember you've said your boss and school weren't so great.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Taco » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:57 am

Shenzhen is only 30 yrs old has around 20 million people so all the buildings are new. Most people speak Mandarin, not Cantonese. Like all big cities in China there is a surplus of single women although their probably not marriage material. The city is only 15 minutes away from HK by ferry.

There are lots of jobs in Shenzhen which means there are lot of foreign teachers too. I've heard job security for teachers is not good in Shenzhen. If the school your working for doesn't like you or your teaching technique you can be easily fired as there are lot of foreign teachers for English schools to choose from.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby zboy1 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:08 am

Ghost wrote:I've heard of it, but don't remember what if it is considered a good or bad place to go. So are you moving because your last job was so bad? I remember you've said your boss and school weren't so great.

Well, my recruiter ultimately decides where I should go, so, in this case, I'm happy with the decision.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby zboy1 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:12 am

Taco wrote:Shenzhen is only 30 yrs old has around 20 million people so all the buildings are new. Most people speak Mandarin, not Cantonese. Like all big cities in China there is a surplus of single women although their probably not marriage material. The city is only 15 minutes away from HK by ferry.

There are lots of jobs in Shenzhen which means there are lot of foreign teachers too. I've heard job security for teachers is not good in Shenzhen. If the school your working for doesn't like you or your teaching technique you can be easily fired as there are lot of foreign teachers for English schools to choose from.

Well, in my case, my recruiter will just send me to another place if I get fired! I'm lucky that my recruiter has schools asking for teachers all throughout China. There's plenty of jobs for me at that company--so no matter if I get fired in Shenzen, I will have plenty more to choose from...

The only real inconvenience on my part, is the constant moving around--which I dislike, but something I have to live with....
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Taco » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:36 am

zboy1 wrote:
Taco wrote:Shenzhen is only 30 yrs old has around 20 million people so all the buildings are new. Most people speak Mandarin, not Cantonese. Like all big cities in China there is a surplus of single women although their probably not marriage material. The city is only 15 minutes away from HK by ferry.

Well, in my case, my recruiter will just send me to another place if I get fired! I'm lucky that my recruiter has schools asking for teachers all throughout China. There's plenty of jobs for me at that company--so no matter if I get fired in Shenzen, I will have plenty more to choose from...

The only real inconvenience on my part, is the constant moving around--which I dislike, but something I have to live with....

Who's your recruiter?
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby xiongmao » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:03 pm

Hit me up if you want to know about Sz.

I went there a couple of times, and if I go back to China, it will be to Sz.

The quality of lady I dated there was A++++++++++++.

On the downside, it was more expensive than anywhere else in China. And dare I say but it was a bit boring there. Compared to Guangzhou, which was bonkers. Or Bangkok, which is so fun it's now 03:03 and I haven't gone to bed yet.

But if you can find cheap accommodation there then it would be awesome!
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby Winston » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:58 pm

I heard that Shenzhen is very crowded and is mainly a business district. So don't expect any peace and quiet. lol. Big cities like that are going to be all business. I also heard that the women there are similar to Taipei but some are friendly and approachable too.

I know a few nice women there that I can introduce you to if you want. A few speak English. How is your Chinese?
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby zboy1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:30 am

Winston wrote:I heard that Shenzhen is very crowded and is mainly a business district. So don't expect any peace and quiet. lol. Big cities like that are going to be all business. I also heard that the women there are similar to Taipei but some are friendly and approachable too.

I know a few nice women there that I can introduce you to if you want. A few speak English. How is your Chinese?

My Chinese isn't very good. I've learned quite a bit of Chinese since living here, though, so I consider that a great accomplishment! And, yes, I would appreciate it if you could introduce me to some women there, Winston. Thanks!
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby zboy1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:31 am

xiongmao wrote:Hit me up if you want to know about Sz.

I went there a couple of times, and if I go back to China, it will be to Sz.

The quality of lady I dated there was A++++++++++++.

On the downside, it was more expensive than anywhere else in China. And dare I say but it was a bit boring there. Compared to Guangzhou, which was bonkers. Or Bangkok, which is so fun it's now 03:03 and I haven't gone to bed yet.

But if you can find cheap accommodation there then it would be awesome!

Thanks for you help, xiongmao! PM me with the information--or better yet, if you feel comfortable, post the info on HappierAbroad.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Rock » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:45 am

When r u going? I need to go there soon. Weather is good compared to most of China, never gets very cold.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby zboy1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:55 am

Rock wrote:When r u going? I need to go there soon. Weather is good compared to most of China, never gets very cold.

Most likely, sometime next week.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand