Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Negative first impressions of Shenzhen China...

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Negative first impressions of Shenzhen China...

Postby zboy1 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:05 am

Boy. Do Shenzhen people remind me of rude/unhappy Hong Konger's and New Yorker's to a tee!

First of all, I'm in Shenzhen airport--and all around me, I see unhappy, stressed and rude Chinese people with perma-scowls on their faces surrounding me. Okay. I figure this is just how it is on most airports. I give it a pass...But I never saw that in other parts of China or in other airports I've been to--including Shanghai and Hangzhou.

I meet a Chinese guy to pick me up and we end-up discussing things about Shenzhen: the people and their attitudes here, the women, the climate, the city, etc. Well, turns out he doesn't like it here either and says the people here are unfriendly and rude. We also discuss the women here--and we both agree--from having walked around the city a little bit, that the women are ugly and not very attractive--especially in comparison to China's smaller cities and interior parts of the country.

While on the subway, I see Chinese females with angry, unfriendly faces on them; they have that 'don't even look at me' kind of vibe to them. I know, because I'm a native New Yorker--and see it all the time back home.

The Chinese guy says the people here are as bad as "Hong Kong." Although I never been to Hong Kong, I've talked with people born or who have traveled there frequently, and they always say that Hong Kong people are rude and unfriendly, and that the females there are materialistic and snooty. Also, HK females aren't much to look at--from what I gather about them on the Web and from personal anecdotes from overseas Chinese.

We walk around the town and enjoy some dinner, and the people are always in such a rush--never acknowledging whoever is in front of them. I try to smile at some of the Chinese girls here--and they give me a blank 'fuck-off' attitude to me. Wow! The Chinese females I have met before in other cities were never like that! They usually like when I look at them or give them a smile.

Anyway, the men also look harried and unhappy: case-in-point, a Businessman in the train was crying his eyes out, and looked very depressed. Another Chinese man I saw was cursing at people around him--I think he was either depressed or just pissed off about something....

When I entered a convenience store to shop, I noticed the people inside giving me the 'evil eye' and looking at me with distrust. Wow. Again, never had that happen to me in China before...

Also, the people here seem to be incredibly materialistic and selfish; all around me, I saw Chinese females with shopping bags full of expensive clothes and loads and loads of banners for all kinds of expensive goods and clothing.

I saw a Chinese female here with a White guy on her arms, give Chinese men looking at them with an evil 'I've got a White guy, so I'm superior to you...and I hate Chinese/Asian men' look that I haven't seen since I was back in America. The bitch reminded of Asian American skanks that I loathed back home...

All in all, Shenzhen is a big, dirty city with lots of people, lots of cars, and lot's of miserable people, LOL. The city reminds of New Jerk City and Hong Kong, sigh...Oh well, I guess I'll have to try to enjoy myself here, while I'm here. Maybe I will change my mind about the place, but so far...it's not looking good.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4441
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:33 am







Postby zboy1 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:16 am

I see I'm not the only one who experienced the unfriendliness of Shenzhen, China:

Top 20 least friendly cities in the world
http://www.china.org.cn/top10/2013-08/2 ... 3523_2.htm

Shenzhen #15 least friendly cities, with



Which are the world's friendliest and unfriendliest cities?
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/07/trave ... ly-cities/

Shenzhen is #15 least friendly city, with Newark, New Jersey being #1! LOL.



Guangzhou, Shenzhen both world's 'unfriendliest cities' ?
http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90882/8362252.html


It seems like Guangdong and Shenzhen is consistently rated as the least friendly cities in China. The Middle East tops the list on many 'unfriendly places' list, interestingly...And, Los Angeles, New York and New Jersey tops the list as least friendly cities in the United States...
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4441
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:33 am

Re: Negative first impressions of Shenzhen China...

Postby Halwick » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:54 am

zboy1 wrote:Boy. Do Shenzhen people remind me of rude/unhappy Hong Konger's and New Yorker's to a tee!

First of all, I'm in Shenzhen airport--and all around me, I see unhappy, stressed and rude Chinese people with perma-scowls on their faces surrounding me. Okay. I figure this is just how it is on most airports. I give it a pass...But I never saw that in other parts of China or in other airports I've been to--including Shanghai and Hangzhou.

I meet a Chinese guy to pick me up and we end-up discussing things about Shenzhen: the people and their attitudes here, the women, the climate, the city, etc. Well, turns out he doesn't like it here either and says the people here are unfriendly and rude. We also discuss the women here--and we both agree--from having walked around the city a little bit, that the women are ugly and not very attractive--especially in comparison to China's smaller cities and interior parts of the country.

While on the subway, I see Chinese females with angry, unfriendly faces on them; they have that 'don't even look at me' kind of vibe to them. I know, because I'm a native New Yorker--and see it all the time back home.

The Chinese guy says the people here are as bad as "Hong Kong." Although I never been to Hong Kong, I've talked with people born or who have traveled there frequently, and they always say that Hong Kong people are rude and unfriendly, and that the females there are materialistic and snooty. Also, HK females aren't much to look at--from what I gather about them on the Web and from personal anecdotes from overseas Chinese.

We walk around the town and enjoy some dinner, and the people are always in such a rush--never acknowledging whoever is in front of them. I try to smile at some of the Chinese girls here--and they give me a blank 'f**k-off' attitude to me. Wow! The Chinese females I have met before in other cities were never like that! They usually like when I look at them or give them a smile.

Anyway, the men also look harried and unhappy: case-in-point, a Businessman in the train was crying his eyes out, and looked very depressed. Another Chinese man I saw was cursing at people around him--I think he was either depressed or just pissed off about something....

When I entered a convenience store to shop, I noticed the people inside giving me the 'evil eye' and looking at me with distrust. Wow. Again, never had that happen to me in China before...

Also, the people here seem to be incredibly materialistic and selfish; all around me, I saw Chinese females with shopping bags full of expensive clothes and loads and loads of banners for all kinds of expensive goods and clothing.

I saw a Chinese female here with a White guy on her arms, give Chinese men looking at them with an evil 'I've got a White guy, so I'm superior to you...and I hate Chinese/Asian men' look that I haven't seen since I was back in America. The bitch reminded of Asian American skanks that I loathed back home...

All in all, Shenzhen is a big, dirty city with lots of people, lots of cars, and lot's of miserable people, LOL. The city reminds of New Jerk City and Hong Kong, sigh...Oh well, I guess I'll have to try to enjoy myself here, while I'm here. Maybe I will change my mind about the place, but so far...it's not looking good.



Everything said here describes what everybody in this community hates about the USA.
Sure doesn't sound like a "Happier Abroad" experience, does it?
So where in China....assuming China is your choice of destination.....can you find that "Happier Abroad" feeling?
Halwick
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:39 am
Location: U.S.

Re: Negative first impressions of Shenzhen China...

Postby zboy1 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:10 am

Halwick wrote:
zboy1 wrote:Boy. Do Shenzhen people remind me of rude/unhappy Hong Konger's and New Yorker's to a tee!

First of all, I'm in Shenzhen airport--and all around me, I see unhappy, stressed and rude Chinese people with perma-scowls on their faces surrounding me. Okay. I figure this is just how it is on most airports. I give it a pass...But I never saw that in other parts of China or in other airports I've been to--including Shanghai and Hangzhou.

I meet a Chinese guy to pick me up and we end-up discussing things about Shenzhen: the people and their attitudes here, the women, the climate, the city, etc. Well, turns out he doesn't like it here either and says the people here are unfriendly and rude. We also discuss the women here--and we both agree--from having walked around the city a little bit, that the women are ugly and not very attractive--especially in comparison to China's smaller cities and interior parts of the country.

While on the subway, I see Chinese females with angry, unfriendly faces on them; they have that 'don't even look at me' kind of vibe to them. I know, because I'm a native New Yorker--and see it all the time back home.

The Chinese guy says the people here are as bad as "Hong Kong." Although I never been to Hong Kong, I've talked with people born or who have traveled there frequently, and they always say that Hong Kong people are rude and unfriendly, and that the females there are materialistic and snooty. Also, HK females aren't much to look at--from what I gather about them on the Web and from personal anecdotes from overseas Chinese.

We walk around the town and enjoy some dinner, and the people are always in such a rush--never acknowledging whoever is in front of them. I try to smile at some of the Chinese girls here--and they give me a blank 'f**k-off' attitude to me. Wow! The Chinese females I have met before in other cities were never like that! They usually like when I look at them or give them a smile.

Anyway, the men also look harried and unhappy: case-in-point, a Businessman in the train was crying his eyes out, and looked very depressed. Another Chinese man I saw was cursing at people around him--I think he was either depressed or just pissed off about something....

When I entered a convenience store to shop, I noticed the people inside giving me the 'evil eye' and looking at me with distrust. Wow. Again, never had that happen to me in China before...

Also, the people here seem to be incredibly materialistic and selfish; all around me, I saw Chinese females with shopping bags full of expensive clothes and loads and loads of banners for all kinds of expensive goods and clothing.

I saw a Chinese female here with a White guy on her arms, give Chinese men looking at them with an evil 'I've got a White guy, so I'm superior to you...and I hate Chinese/Asian men' look that I haven't seen since I was back in America. The bitch reminded of Asian American skanks that I loathed back home...

All in all, Shenzhen is a big, dirty city with lots of people, lots of cars, and lot's of miserable people, LOL. The city reminds of New Jerk City and Hong Kong, sigh...Oh well, I guess I'll have to try to enjoy myself here, while I'm here. Maybe I will change my mind about the place, but so far...it's not looking good.



Everything said here describes what everybody in this community hates about the USA.
Sure doesn't sound like a "Happier Abroad" experience, does it?
So where in China....assuming China is your choice of destination.....can you find that "Happier Abroad" feeling?


Well, I wasn't painting the whole China region as being like Shenzhen, LOL. Read my post more clearly next time...I said I was shocked at the differences between the places I've been to China previously, and Shenzhen.

I didn't choose Shenzhen, my recruiter did! I liked Zhejiang Province a lot. I also visited West Lake over the weekend. Really recommend it to anyone that loves a beautiful scenic view, with lots of temples to see.

China is a big country, Halwick. You would be surprised how different one town or city could be from the next. Kai1482 warned me before that the closer I get to Shanghai--and the coastal cities near Hong Kong--the snootier and unfriendlier the people would be. He was right...
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4441
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:33 am

Re: Negative first impressions of Shenzhen China...

Postby Halwick » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:49 am

Well, I wasn't painting the whole China region as being like Shenzhen, LOL. Read my post more clearly next time...I said I was shocked at the differences between the places I've been to China previously, and Shenzhen.

I didn't choose Shenzhen, my recruiter did! I liked Zhejiang Province a lot. I also visited West Lake over the weekend. Really recommend it to anyone that loves a beautiful scenic view, with lots of temples to see.

China is a big country, Halwick. You would be surprised how different one town or city could be from the next. Kai1482 warned me before that the closer I get to Shanghai--and the coastal cities near Hong Kong--the snootier and unfriendlier the people would be. He was right...


Oh I read your post clearly and understood you were describing a particular province and understood that your description was not about China as a whole. I was just amused at your description of the people in a "Happier Abroad" area (by definition any place outside Western influence) as having all the qualities, i.e., "selfish, unhappy, stressed, rude people, and materialistic, snooty females with angry, unfriendly faces on them" that everybody here attributes to typical Americans and loathes. As I've said, doesn't sound like a "Happier Abroad" experience.

But I do appreciate your frank, forthright, candid, and honest travel experience of a place that doesn't seem, by your account, any better than New York.

What is it about Zhejiang you liked and how does it contrast with Shenzhen in terms of economy, climate, people attitude and acceptance of foreigner presence?
Halwick
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:39 am
Location: U.S.

Re: Negative first impressions of Shenzhen China...

Postby zboy1 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:00 am

Halwick wrote:
Well, I wasn't painting the whole China region as being like Shenzhen, LOL. Read my post more clearly next time...I said I was shocked at the differences between the places I've been to China previously, and Shenzhen.

I didn't choose Shenzhen, my recruiter did! I liked Zhejiang Province a lot. I also visited West Lake over the weekend. Really recommend it to anyone that loves a beautiful scenic view, with lots of temples to see.

China is a big country, Halwick. You would be surprised how different one town or city could be from the next. Kai1482 warned me before that the closer I get to Shanghai--and the coastal cities near Hong Kong--the snootier and unfriendlier the people would be. He was right...


Oh I read your post clearly and understood you were describing a particular province and understood that your description was not about China as a whole. I was just amused at your description of the people in a "Happier Abroad" area (by definition any place outside Western influence) as having all the qualities, i.e., "selfish, unhappy, stressed, rude people, and materialistic, snooty females with angry, unfriendly faces on them" that everybody here attributes to typical Americans and loathes. As I've said, doesn't sound like a "Happier Abroad" experience.

But I do appreciate your frank, forthright, candid, and honest travel experience of a place that doesn't seem, by your account, any better than New York.

What is it about Zhejiang you liked and how does it contrast with Shenzhen in terms of economy, climate, people attitude and acceptance of foreigner presence?


Well, the females in Hangzhou and other parts of Zhejiang Province would sometimes smile back at you when you looked at them. Also, they didn't have that 'f*ck off' attitude I see here.

The people in the more smaller Chinese cities were much more friendlier than those I have encountered here in Shenzhen. Over there, merchants would often make small talk with you--if they found out you were a foreigner or "Laowai." People also didn't look so unhappy and unsmiling in those places either. ...
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4441
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:33 am

Postby Taco » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:18 am

Lots of Chinese people from the provinces hate Shanghai people too for all the same reasons. Big Chinese cities have "big problems".
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:30 pm

Postby Winston » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:48 am

If that's so, then how come Xiongmao said that men from Hong Kong get their girlfriends from Shenzhen because they're better?

Why don't you go to those speed dating events that Xiongmao went to in Shenzhen?
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23596
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby zboy1 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:59 am

Winston wrote:If that's so, then how come Xiongmao said that men from Hong Kong get their girlfriends from Shenzhen because they're better?

Why don't you go to those speed dating events that Xiongmao went to in Shenzhen?


I'll try it out once I get settled here....

I think in comparison to the interior parts of China, and the lower-tiered cities, both Shenzhen, Shanghai and Guangdong pale in comparison. The people there all act like 'New Yorkers' ' or 'Hong Kongers' ' in their behavior and rudeness...
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4441
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:33 am

Postby Winston » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:14 am

Hey Zboy,
Why don't you go to Hunan province and study Kung Fu at the Shaolin monastery like the American kid did in this movie "American Shaolin"? lol

The plot is similar to The Karate Kid where a white guy studies martial arts to win a tournament. It's very stereotypical, cliched, and predictable, and shows him walking on The Great Wall of China. lol. The American kid looks a lot like Eurobrat. lol

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zdzUupoGJc[/youtube]
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23596
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby T Rex » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:59 am

ZBoy, I'm sorry to hear about your experience so far, but chin up man, I promise you there a ton of great girls in that area. You are actually in a really good spot. You can easily go to Hong Kong for shopping and food, or even Macau isn't that far for epic weekends.

I used to live near Foshan, and spent a lot of time in Guangzhou. I've been to Shenzhen a few times. Admittedly, Shenzhen and GZ are less friendly to outsiders, but I can remember spending the day in Shenzhen waiting for my visa and meeting some really friendly girls at a pub.

There's hope, friend. I'm actually considering moving back to Guangdong...maybe Shenzhen or maybe Shanghai in February.
T Rex
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:49 am

Postby xiongmao » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:09 am

Shenzhen is OK, but Guangzhou is a much more interesting place for a foreigner to live.

I dated some top notch ladies in Shenzhen, all fluent English speakers with good middle-management jobs and definite alpha females.

HK men like ladies from the mainland, although in Shenzhen they were mostly hopping over the border for some mistress action. Everyone thinks Bangkok has a big p4p industry but it's maybe way bigger in Sz.

If I go back to China I would seriously consider Sz.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2540
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:09 pm
Location: London

Postby zboy1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:37 pm

xiongmao wrote:Shenzhen is OK, but Guangzhou is a much more interesting place for a foreigner to live.

I dated some top notch ladies in Shenzhen, all fluent English speakers with good middle-management jobs and definite alpha females.

HK men like ladies from the mainland, although in Shenzhen they were mostly hopping over the border for some mistress action. Everyone thinks Bangkok has a big p4p industry but it's maybe way bigger in Sz.

If I go back to China I would seriously consider Sz.


Actually, as far as the ladies goes, I've been getting so many responses back from Shenzhen ladies...I can't really keep up. I've only been here a week and already, I got women lined-up to meet/date me...Also, you are right in that a lot of the females here speak decent enough English. So, in terms of the women, I am doing as well as I ever did compared to my previous place...

I actually like the fact that I can travel between Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Hong Kong and Macau anytime I want! I will probably end up writing trip-reports to Hong Kong and Macau in the near future...

But, aside from the females, I can sense the materialism, loneliness and entitlement of those around me...something that I did not really experience in the interior parts of China. People seem angry and aggressive--and very concerned with money and status. Again...I'm only generalizing, but I think that has to do with the fact that Shenzhen is so near Hong Kong, that a certain 'New York City' attitude exists among the people here. I've been told that people in Shanghai give off a similar negative vibe. ...
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4441
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:33 am

Postby Bane » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:39 pm

NYC wasn't on the list of unfriendly places? Seriously???

Anyway, I can completely relate to Zboy's sentiments, having lived in south China for 4 years. To be honest, I agree with the list when it says that Guangzhou is more unfriendly than Shenzhen. Shenzhen was full of rude people, but Guangzhou was 10x worse IMO. At least in Shenzhen people would be civil with me. Guangzhou was full of dirty, smelly, racist drunks who were always trying to start fights with me (especially when they saw me with my Chinese wife.)

It seemed to me that the further north I traveled in China (Beijing, Shenyang, Harbin) the friendlier people seemed to be. The further south I was ( Guangzhou, Shenzhen, HK) the more rude and "New York like" people became. Folks in the middle (Suzhou, Chengdu, Nanjing, Changsha) were pretty cool too. If I were to go back to China, I would definitely try to go north, or central. I'm not a fan of the hot, humid weather in the south either, so going north would be a bonus in that respect, too.

Also, IMHO, women from the north of China are far more beautiful than those in the south. Southern girls tend to be short, squatty and unattractive, while the ones in the north are taller, and have longer legs, prettier, smoother skin, and are more symmetrical overall.
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." -Oscar Wilde

"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability is in the opponent" -Sun Tzu
Bane
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:58 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Postby zboy1 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:22 am

You know...after being here for a while, I'm starting to like Shenzhen. Most of the things I said, still stand, but the place is starting to grow on me, lol. I guess I'm very adaptable that way, haha...
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4441
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:33 am

Next

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest