Keeping Fit in Asia "The Health Thread!"

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
mguy
Junior Poster

Keeping Fit in Asia "The Health Thread!"

Post by mguy »

After eating too much rice and noticing myself blow up a bit, I realized there is a curve into keeping fit/healthy in Asia

So here are some tips for how to stay heathy in Asia. Please share info or your experience here to share to others.

Starting with rice. Most food is with rice/noodles and it is a complex carb that will get stored by your body (i know its more complex than that but..)
Salty food. That shrimp paste stuff makes you retain water.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Keeping Fit in Asia "The Health Thread!"

Post by zboy1 »

mguy wrote:After eating too much rice and noticing myself blow up a bit, I realized there is a curve into keeping fit/healthy in Asia

So here are some tips for how to stay heathy in Asia. Please share info or your experience here to share to others.

Starting with rice. Most food is with rice/noodles and it is a complex carb that will get stored by your body (i know its more complex than that but..)
Salty food. That shrimp paste stuff makes you retain water.
How can anyone get fat in Asia? LOL. I think it's almost impossible...well, actually, now that I think of it--you're in the Philippines (which is the only country in Asia with really fatty and unhealthy diets).

I just eat what the locals eat, and after a while, I notice myself losing weight. Also, since everyone is always walking around in Asia, that's another good way to lose some weight, too.
mguy
Junior Poster

Re: Keeping Fit in Asia "The Health Thread!"

Post by mguy »

zboy1 wrote:
How can anyone get fat in Asia? LOL. I think it's almost impossible...well, actually, now that I think of it--you're in the Philippines (which is the only country in Asia with really fatty and unhealthy diets).

I just eat what the locals eat, and after a while, I notice myself losing weight. Also, since everyone is always walking around in Asia, that's another good way to lose some weight, too.
I'll give you 5 reasons:

1. ) Because food is so cheap.
2.) Beer is cheap.
3.) Gyms are expensive/inconvenient.
4.) Food is fried.
5.) Protein powders are scarce.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

Unless you want to go for the anorexic slim Asian look instead of western muscle mode.

Speaking of Chinese Food. Be wary of MSG.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 001126.htm

Vietnamese food is actually the healthiest I find (but you can't really bulk up that).

Another great one is the soy bean curd.

mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

Tilapia is a good protein source that is plentiful in Asia.

http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/me ... ilapia.cfm
The history of Tilapia goes back almost 5,000 years, as the food of Egyptian kings and Pharoahs. Native to the Nile river, Tilapia is now farmed all over the world. A light, lean fish, it has become extremely popular with athletes in the bodybuilding and fitness world who want high protein and low calories. When you prepare it with these savory spices and flavorings, it's not only a delicacy fit for a king, it's a delicacy fit for physique champions...

Nutritional

Per Serving (fish only)
Calories: 225
Protein: 34.2 g
Carbs: 5.7 g
Fat: 9.8 g

Price

Whole Foods carry it $5 per lbs
Here you can get it for $2 per lbs
That's standard grocery and filleted.

You can get it cheaper at public markets and it looks like this (sometimes they will cook for you):

You can then fillet it and it looks like this

tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

I lost weight while in Hong Kong, Thailand and Singapore. I definitely GAINED weight while in the Philippines.

In Singapore, for instance, the portions are very small and you walk a lot everyday. There are quite a few gyms and nearly always one within a few miles (within walking distance). Gyms and all supplements are extremely pricey though. The average gym membership is around $100/month. I did not have a membership when I was there as I didn't have time or $$. However, I still maintained physical conditioning.

In the Philippines, portions are not as small, there are very few "diet" options anywhere. Depending on what part of the Philippines, you want likely walk as much. When I was there, I always took Tricycles (incredibly cheap). Gyms are not as common and I'm not even sure what they cost?

Thailand is probably the easiest place to stay in shape in ALL of Asia. Gyms are plentiful, supplements are more available (still pricey), there are pharmacies that will give you testosterone if you want/need it, etc.. Gyms aren't cheap there either, but they are less expensive than Singapore. I paid for 4 days membership which is an expensive way to go, but I'm sure it's much less if I did a year or two. The gyms were more than sufficient.
T Rex
Freshman Poster

Post by T Rex »

I got kinda fat in China, but it was partially on purpose, because I was so cold in the winter time.

Too much rice and beer did it for me.

As far as working out, the best gym I found item and price wise, was inside a 4 or 5 star hotel.
sushiman
Freshman Poster

Post by sushiman »

The most common thing I hear from expats over here is; stay clear of the rice.
ClearView
Freshman Poster

Post by ClearView »

Yeah avoid the rice and go semi-paleo. You can't always avoid the sugar in the food but cutting out the rice helps. Get into body weight training or dinosaur training.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Tilapia is awesome food. My friend showed me that Tesco Lotus here will BBQ a Tilapia of your choice for around 150 baht.

I scoffed the whole thing and had so much brain food I worked a 14 hour day the next day.

I've actually lost weight in the 9 months I've been in Asia, and I'm around 10lbs lighter than I was at my peak unfitness while working. That may not sound much but I'm not hugely overweight so I don't have too much to shift.

I rarely drink beer at home now, I've been drinking those bottles of Chang mineral water instead.

It is hard to exercise here though. I rarely leave my room in the day as it's just too hot and hard to stay hydrated.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.