Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Smiling in the Land of Smiles?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Smiling in the Land of Smiles?

Postby Jackanapes » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:12 am

I'll admit it. I'm kind of a tough guy. Based on my experiences, I always thought smiling (like putting on a big goofy grin) makes you look like a f***ing fruitcake.

So I usually have a very tough, yet confident look about me, not dark or mean, just firm and strong. However, I'm told that I really need to change this and smile more if I'm going to be successful with Thai ladies.

Any suggestions? Do I really have to change my personality that much to be successful in Thailand?
I love-a the a-wimmmenz.
Jackanapes
Freshman Poster

Postby MarksBKK » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:39 am

Yeah smiling would help. Thai people smile all the time. You'll scare a lot away with this tough look on your face.
MarksBKK
Freshman Poster

Postby zboy1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:09 pm

MarksBKK wrote:Yeah smiling would help. Thai people smile all the time. You'll scare a lot away with this tough look on your face.

The tough guy look is not very popular in Asia, and you would scare away most of the people--including the girls! That tough guy look is for Western countries, mostly.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Banano » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:56 pm

AiB has that tough look and he is or was successful with TH ladies.

You cant be walking around with permanent smile on your face, that is just f***ed. People in BKK don't do that.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Postby anamericaninbangkok » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:28 pm

Honestly, I had to and still have to push myself to smile, even when I don't really want to do so. I'm not in a bad mood nor do I try to go around looking mean and surly, but I smile when I feel there's a good reason to smile, not just for something trivial. Just the other day I was walking out of Happyland and towards the food court. I noticed a fairly cute girl in a shoe store staring at me. As I walked by her friend told her something like "smile." The girl said, "Klua" which means she's afraid. It would have been easy to go back, smile, and strike up a conversation with her. However...just like with women who are too shy to speak English, I always found the women who weren't too shy or who weren't afraid of me to be the ones I wanted. If a women is too shy or nervous or afraid, she'll likely be that way in higher stress situations. I don't want that. I want a woman who has some moxie in her. That said, one thing I've learned from Thais is that just because you laugh, smile, and joke around that doesn't necessarily make them pussies. Some are but some of the best fighters I worked with in the past were the kind of guys who would serve me food, go get water for me, and other things like that.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Postby MarksBKK » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:01 am

Yes don't mistake smiling for being a wimp or being easy to walk over. Definitely not the case.
MarksBKK
Freshman Poster

Re: Smiling in the Land of Smiles?

Postby ClearView » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:18 pm

Jackanapes wrote:I'll admit it. I'm kind of a tough guy. Based on my experiences, I always thought smiling (like putting on a big goofy grin) makes you look like a f***ing fruitcake.

So I usually have a very tough, yet confident look about me, not dark or mean, just firm and strong. However, I'm told that I really need to change this and smile more if I'm going to be successful with Thai ladies.

Any suggestions? Do I really have to change my personality that much to be successful in Thailand?

Yeah several of my friends had to tone down a little from their usual "tough guy" London attitudes. You can still be firm and strong but be more like "steel wrapped in cotton." Don't be afraid to joke around a lot. No need to walk around smiling 24/7. Just do your thing and be a bit gentler when conversing with women. Women here respect strength and inner stability just as much as anywhere else it's just that the external appearance is softer.
ClearView
Freshman Poster

Postby xiongmao » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:55 am

More than anything else, Thai ladies seem to like men who are fun. But ladies everywhere like guys who are alpha, i.e. look tough, are confident and of course have money.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand