Koreans in Beijing

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Koreans in Beijing

Post by Bao3niang »

I live in the Wangjing area of Chaoyang district in Beijing, and there are many Koreans (native Koreans who came to China). I know this may not apply to every single Korean person (although it does apply to those in US/Canada and here in China), the Korean people in my area give me these impressions:

1. Very loud

2. Tend to hang together in groups and gangs

3. Only mix with their own people and have this air of arrogance towards others

4. Always sitting in cafes studying for exams or doing assignments

5. Going to academic tutoring after school (I've talked to this guy and he says he still goes to SAT, Math, and TOEFL classes even when his parents are not in China to force him to go, this is just an example of how most East Asians are so afraid of not sticking to routine, even when no one is there to police them)

It's so hard to interact with them for reasons 2, 3, 4, and 5. It is almost as if they think China is Resident Evil, where their own people are the only normal human beings while Chinese/other groups (with the exception of Americans) are some sort of zombie. The girls always gossip with each other in groups, always with those corny expressions and exclaiming at something every 30 seconds. The guys are usually too introverted or not completely open (unless with their own Korean cliques) and I only see them dating girls that are also Koreans. Nationalism at work?

I know zboy1 not like this, as he's a cool dude (or else why would he even be on this awesome forum?). However, if any of you have smiliar experiences with Koreans (or East Asians) in Asia or in any part of the world, please share!

:( I just feel sorry for their kids who are brought up the traditional Confucian/Asian way of conformity and being workaholic/studyaholic (:))) new term). Korean parents also seem to be VERY picky and short tempered, emotionally and verbally casting abuse and criticism on their kids (I've been through it too).
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Koreans are obnoxious in general: I met a Korean restaurant owner here in Shenzhen that wants me to teach his kids English during the weekends, but he treats all his Chinese employees like sh*t, and tells me face-to-face that Chinese people are stupid and worthless...

Koreans in Thailand and the Philippines don't act any better either. And most of the Korean Hagwon owners and private school English owners I interviewed for a job last year, were complete assholes to me during the interview process. One Korean American guy on this forum, told me straight-up that they wouldn't have talked to me that way, if I was White guy with blue eyes...

Koreans are not nice people. Most are cruel and mean-spirited people. I'm one of the few exceptions...
Last edited by zboy1 on November 15th, 2013, 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

I'm sorry to say this, but Koreans in general desperately need to be taught a lesson (or several). I've known them to be extremely impolite and treat people as if they don't exist. When I open doors for them in my neighborhood or at cafes, 95% of them don't even say a "thank you" and just walk past me. When you see Koreans in TV dramas constantly bowing their heads and stuff, it's all fake.

Seriously, what's to like about Korean culture when 60% of it is copy and pasted from Chinese culture? One professor teaching at a South Korean university (Ewha Women's University) claimed that Confucius and Cao Cao were originally from Korea, and Chinese festivals like Mid-Autumn Festival and Duan Wu also originated in Korea. I'm not a nationalist, but absurdly claiming someone else's history as your own is just BS.

Seriously if it were not for the American capitalists, SK woudln't even exist today lol.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

zboy1 wrote:Koreans are not nice people. Most are cruel and mean-spirited people. I'm one of the few exceptions...
I don't believe this. Most Koreans are good spirited and good people. It is just that they view your status based on how you fit into their society. Therefore if you don't fit into Korean society you have no status as a human being as far as they are concerned. This becomes a problem under certain circumstances. But most of the time they are some of the best people in the world to hang out with.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

The biggest problem with most of them is their conformist mentality (like other East Asian cultures).

BTW Cornfed where are you from and where you do currently live/have lived?
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!