Thailand Is Imploding

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Thailand Is Imploding

Post by Taco »

Thailand seems to be having a currency crisis. "There's no near-term resolution in sight, Thailand has entered an extended period of political instability."

Thailand Is Imploding
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-12-2 ... -imploding
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Not to gloat over others suffering, but time to be greedy when others are fearful and fearful when others are greedy.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

It could be a good thing if the hot money is leaving, and they won't be in danger of a bubble collapse like what is going to happen to the US.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Seems to have a currency crisis?

Thailand is already in a currency crisis. The place is now 12% cheaper for me since June, and the pound is really accelerating away now. I guess the property boom will end badly in some way or another. I gather Thai households are up to their eyeballs in debt. When the government hikes interest rates they'll be bust.

I am intending to go back there, but I'll use Bangkok as a base while I explore other countries. However, plan B is that I've found out there are now direct flights from London to Manila, and at very attractive prices for a 15 hr flight.

I've seen all kinds of fake stats about Thailand's tourist industry. But the cold hard facts are that my hotel was DEAD in November/December - and less busy than it was in the Summer "low season".

While life goes in in Thailand for now, if a political party decides to play the easy "it's the Farangs' fault", then things will get very ugly indeed.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

The current currency weakening isn't just limited to the thb but most asian region developing nations. Institutional investors are just shifting money back to the EU and the US. It really has nothing to do with political instability or whatever vague reasons pumped by the media. The reasons are largely macro in scale. Btw 33 to the dollar is still not that good. If it hits 40- or so to the $ then that's worth talking about.