China--too materialistic and money oriented

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I have to say that I didn't find too many of my Chinese ladies money obsessed. I dated a couple of Shanghai Princess types and a couple of very successful business women. But mostly I dated girls who just wanted a regular guy and a baby or two.

I had an awesome time in China, but it was kind of crazy to consider living in Guangzhou. Having said that I'm now in a UK that's being battered by storms due to a shifted gulfstream, so it's kind of crazy living here as well.

It's dead easy to spot the materialistic girls now - they have iPhones, whereas regular girls usually have Samsungs or Chinese made brands.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 4th, 2020, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

zboy1 wrote:
Rock wrote: The money materialism has expanded beyond China. From most of what I've heard and what I witnessed on my brief trips there, it's gonna be similar in Vietnam, just kinda like setting back the clock on China a decade or so. Thailand too seems obsessed with material and economic status indicators though at least the environment seems to be a lot more fun oriented. Maybe Philippines would be the 'least bad'. It still seems easier to find more humble down to earth types who can have decent conversation. Oh by the way, I also think Taipei might be worth considering for someone like yourself.
Hey, Rock! But isn't Taiwan as consumerist as China? Hum...I'm actually trying to stay away from all the "Northeast Asian" countries, because I feel all of them are similar--and the women, too!
Yes Taiwan is highly materialistic and workaholic too. The worst thing about it is that it is highly cliquish too, similar to North America, in that the women huddle in cliques and limit their socializing to within their clique, and are not open with strangers. I've never understood how one can do well with women in cliquish countries.

But the good thing is, if you are lucky enough to get a girlfriend in Taiwan, she will be much higher quality than in the US, and more refined than mainland Chinese. Also, you can be a nerd or geek in Taiwan and it won't count against you, as long as you are not fat.

Why can't you just find non-materialistic people in China? Have you joined any spiritual groups there? I'm sure if you go to the Shaolin Temple there in Hunan, it won't be that materialistic or money worshipping. lol

Isn't there at least more social connection there? And kindness and openness to socializing with strangers? If so, that should make up for the extreme materialism. At least it's not like the US where it's materialistic with no soul and an unfriendly social culture and isolating lonely environment.

I've never understood something. Why are Chinese so extreme with money and materialism given that:

1) Chinese philosophy and Taoism teach that nothing in any extreme is good. Everything must be balanced.
2) No one on their deathbed wishes they had made more money or worked more.

I'm sure the average educated Chinese know these things. So why do they still succumb to extreme materialism and ignore the wisdom and logic of the above? Strange.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Mr Natural
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr Natural »

Winston, I think you and others sometimes mistake materialism with something else. If you look at Chinese around the world they tend to be very ambitious and aggressive, willing to work long hours, some would say money hungry. When in other countries they tend to be disliked for their aggressive business practices and success. For example, Chinese in Malaysia comprise slightly more than 20% of the population but control probably 90% of the wealth. China itself has a long and tumultuous history and their people have learned that wealth buys not just material goods and comfort but something far more important - security. Not that certain segments of their society haven't become more materialistic in recent years with their increased wealth. But my experience has been that the majority are ambitious for reasons of security rather than materialism.

Nevertheless, as much as I like Chinese girls physically, I would think twice before marrying one. Unless she was very different than the norm. They aren't always looking for rich, but they do tend to want you to be ambitious and hard working, ie to live up to your potential. And frankly, how many of us really do? Having a laid back easy going financial personality like I do probably wouldn't make most of them very happy long term.
Everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth
Mike Tyson
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

zboy1 wrote:
momopi wrote:The "golden era" for Taiwanese men to go to Mainland China, with plentiful, easy women in greater Shanghai region and inexpensive real estate was the 1990's.
My White roommate said the same thing: that China was a great place to be, circa the 1990s and the early 2000s. But China has changed dramatically in the last decade or so, especially after the 2008 Olympics and after the 90s ended.

Back then it was a good time for Taiwanese and foreign expats. Now may be a good time for successful haigui (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haigui).

If you're bilingual English/Chinese and have 5 years IT Project Management experience, PMP/ITIL certified, you can find PM positions in China that pay upwards of 600,000 RMB + bonus:
http://www.efinancialcareers.cn/jobs-Ch ... id00737762

There may be opportunities for Scrum-Agile trainer & consultants in Asia:
http://blogs.collab.net/agile/%E6%95%8F ... A%E4%BC%9A
Eorthisio
Freshman Poster

Post by Eorthisio »

I am happy with China for now, as a white man in my mid 20's there are enough super hot looking ladies over here for me to get a different one every night and make this last for years. Can't even count how many fashion models that maybe hundred of thousand of Chinese men are right now dreaming to get ended in my bed. I am having a lot of fun here, all of this while respecting locals, the customs and making big money.

Among all the women/ladies I have been dating in China (and there are many) only one seemed to not be materialistic to death, I could have keep dating her and all that s*** but knowing Chinese women I was pretty sure that her behavior was a trap hiding in fact a superficial and greedy lady.

China is a funny place to live in while you are young and wild, but once I reach 30 I might consider to move to a less materialistic and money oriented society, or maybe going back to Germany if the economy gets better (but I doubt it haha).
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Eorthisio wrote:I am happy with China for now, as a white man in my mid 20's there are enough super hot looking ladies over here for me to get a different one every night and make this last for years. Can't even count how many fashion models that maybe hundred of thousand of Chinese men are right now dreaming to get ended in my bed. I am having a lot of fun here, all of this while respecting locals, the customs and making big money.

Among all the women/ladies I have been dating in China (and there are many) only one seemed to not be materialistic to death, I could have keep dating her and all that s*** but knowing Chinese women I was pretty sure that her behavior was a trap hiding in fact a superficial and greedy lady.

China is a funny place to live in while you are young and wild, but once I reach 30 I might consider to move to a less materialistic and money oriented society, or maybe going back to Germany if the economy gets better (but I doubt it haha).
It's funny...the most fervent defenders of China on HappierAbroad and RooshV seem to be mostly Black men...?

Why is that?

Anyway, I, too, as a Korean American man, am doing pretty well with the Chinese ladies and with the dating scene, but unlike most other expats, I want a women to MARRY--not just to sleep with. I want to be a family man, not a sex tourist. But, in China, the women (as Eorthisio) mentioned, are very materialistic and too concerned with money and wealth for my tastes.

Eorthisio, are my observations about China, the culture and Chinese women wrong? Because I've been getting many negative feedback from some people regarding my views about the country.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Zboy, have you thought about Japan? Now, besides all easy jokes about life after Fukushima and the sexless generation, here is a society that has past the materialistic and money-obsessed phase of its development. A society in search for a new identity, where perhaps, as if by magic, young men and women will start valuing human experiences, passionately doing what they like to do, adventurous entrepreneurship and more profound kinds of relationships.

Surely it's an example of a society that badly needs to reinvent themselves, lest sink into oblivion: they have gone pretty low and I don't think they can go lower than that. If I were you, I would consider placing a bet on Japan rebooting themselves in a more humane, just and selfless society. Could be a wild guess, but surely it is worth trying... Hell I would move there and give it a try, if I was younger and still single.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

publicduende wrote:Zboy, have you thought about Japan? Now, besides all easy jokes about life after Fukushima and the sexless generation, here is a society that has past the materialistic and money-obsessed phase of its development. A society in search for a new identity, where perhaps, as if by magic, young men and women will start valuing human experiences, passionately doing what they like to do, adventurous entrepreneurship and more profound kinds of relationships.

Surely it's an example of a society that badly needs to reinvent themselves, lest sink into oblivion: they have gone pretty low and I don't think they can go lower than that. If I were you, I would consider placing a bet on Japan rebooting themselves in a more humane, just and selfless society. Could be a wild guess, but surely it is worth trying... Hell I would move there and give it a try, if I was younger and still single.
Honestly...I'm at a crossroads: I could go to Taiwan, Japan, Korea, or I could somehow try to stay in China and try to make it in the country. Maybe my post was a little premature---I could've tried a more remote part of China, like Falcon recommended--but I don't know if I'm willing to go that far to get a women. ...

I've gotten lots of good recommendations from HA'ers about several different countries in the region, so it's my decision to make in the upcoming months. ...I hope I make the right decision in the future. ...
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

I tend to agree with Mr. Natural, that many are confusing consumerism or materialism with money obsessed behavior. I know a great many girls who seem very money obsessed, but from what I can see, any money they have, they save it, not go out and buy expensive hand bags or phones. They are damn good at saving and frugal living too.

I know a few girls who have savings such that they can easily afford to buy a car, but they don't. On the flip side, when something comes up, an accident, sickness, wedding, or event that requires money, they can freely handle it without great worry or stress. I think that's a part of that security they seek. They will also make sure those savings get back to where they were before spending too.

Many would rather eat at home than eat out, and when they do eat out, they will choose a street noodle stand over a fancy restaurant. They will shop Taobao and get stuff that looks nice, but is very cheap.

I will say that I, myself, am very ambitious. I love money and creating things to make money. I fully intend to be rich. That may be why I feel comfortable here and explain the difference in experiences from others.

Zboy, you would really consider Japan? Does no one worry about radiation there?
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 4th, 2020, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdmiralOfBlacks
Freshman Poster

Post by AdmiralOfBlacks »

zboy1 wrote:
It's funny...the most fervent defenders of China on HappierAbroad and RooshV seem to be mostly Black men...?

Why is that?
There are a lot of dumb Black people that are out of touch with reality. This guy is a white guy having fun; Black guys don't have fun in Asia, so I don't see why any Black man would defend China. I wish that Black guys could have even half of the good time that white boys get in Asia, but that just isn't so. These Black men need a wake up call, and I hope that they get it before they waste money and time going somewhere where they will only be crushed. I am here to give that wake up.
Eorthisio
Freshman Poster

Post by Eorthisio »

Well yes, I am not black as the previous poster said.

I know many blacks in China however, and from what I know they can't get girls easily. In my opinion this is partly because chinese people do not like dark races and are full of stereotypes about other races (in the case of blacks : poor, rude, uncivilised, ... all negative), partly because many black people in China act ghetto/players/"black power" like they do in N-A and Europe, which is certainly not acceptable in China and does not turn on chinese girls like it does with white girls back home.

So yeah, blacks in China should stop living in their bubble and listen to the truth. No, not every chinese women wants to have sex with them (and only them, not whites, not chinese men, if you listen what they say) here and right now. No, not every chinese women are sex-addicts or nymphomaniacs who are acting innocent to hide it. No, not every chinese women place black men on the top of the ladder in terms of attractiveness.

Of course there are exceptions, I know a guy from Nigeria who married a woman from Wuhan and invited me at their wedding, he speaks fluent chinese and she speaks fluent english, they are very happy together and make a very beautiful couple, but that does not mean that every chinese women wants black men above all other men right now.

In Guangzhou, in Xiaobei district, Chinese women can't even walk around anymore without having hordes of nigerians and other africans harassing them, therefore more and more chinese women does not even dare going there anymore, and the businesses are slowly dying around this district. All of this is very sad because I know some very nice african guys living there but they are not those on the streets (because they are actually working hard) and become completely insignificant to the eyes of the chinese people who only see those who behave like jerks and occupy the streets all day around the district while approaching every single woman they can to try to find a wife to stay in China.
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Re: China--too materialistic and money oriented

Post by Halwick »

zboy1 wrote:I've decided that possibly, sometime in the near future, that I will leave China to go to another Asian country. The reason being is that everything in China is centered around money, wealth and job status. Also, guanxi results in too much corruption and cronyism in the society.

The women, although attractive, are way too consumerist, money-oriented and materialistic for my own taste. Now, I'm thinking...where should I go next in Asia? I'm seriously looking into the possibility of going to the Philippines or Vietnam to teach English after my time in China is up.

Now, I'm not saying I haven't enjoyed my time in China! I have! And, I've met my girlfriend here. Also, I've gotten more dates than I ever did back home in the States. But, I want to look around towards other countries in the region. I want to go to a place that isn't as obsessed with money as China is, and where the women aren't as entitled and materialistic as Chinese females. ...

Can any of you guys recommend a place for me?
I had the very same opinion of Hong Kong and Hong Kong women when I was there some 30 years ago. So China has become very similar, huh? Not surprised to hear.

From what I've read in stickmanbangkok.com, even Thailand has changed significantly during the last 10 years. Stick seems to have acquired a liking for Vietnam as the country reminds him of Thailand 10 years ago.