Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Japans Brutal Work Culture

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby Taco » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:18 am

Essentially, stress is five times more lethal than traffic accidents in Japan, and one of the leading causes of death in men aged 20-44. Spa magazine last year reported that 72.3% of 600 men aged 35-45 surveyed were single, and over a third of them had not had sex in three years, often citing work fatigue as their main affliction.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Japan/JAP-01-100214.html
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Ghost » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:04 am

That was another import from the West.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby zboy1 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:50 am

Asia needs to find a way to get away from the 'workaholic' culture into something more sustainable and stress-free, e.g. the Scandinavian countries. ...
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby tre » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:27 pm

Stress causes more damage than many realize. I had a friend that had a stroke in his 30's because of it (he wasn't obese at all). I have been on that path for many years myself and am now trying to undo the damage. I have no doubt that I'd have died young if I'd not recognized what it was doing to me.

The challenge is letting go. I can't seem to do it as it makes no sense. I NEED to see some sort of reward sometime during my life. I don't think that is going to fall into my lap so I work....and work....and work. At the same time, I'm trying to undo and minimize the damage....crazy ongoing cycle.
tre
Junior Poster

Re: Japans Brutal Work Culture

Postby Teal Lantern » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:26 pm

Taco wrote:Essentially, stress is five times more lethal than traffic accidents in Japan, and one of the leading causes of death in men aged 20-44. Spa magazine last year reported that 72.3% of 600 men aged 35-45 surveyed were single, and over a third of them had not had sex in three years, often citing work fatigue as their main affliction.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Japan/JAP-01-100214.html

Omelettes require a few broken eggs.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Postby Wolfeye » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:01 am

A thing I read about stress is it being synthetically caused on top of everything else. The additives in food & drinks causing nervous system problems & hormonal shifts as a source of stress & anxiety is a point. It's general strain on the body is also a source of problems like you'd get with constant stress, whether or not you're "stressed out."
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Postby momopi » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:31 pm

If we look at Japanese worker's average number of hours worked per year, it has actually declined from 1821 hours/year in 2000 to 1745 hours/year in 2012:
https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=ANHRS

However, averages do not tell the whole story. In Japan's case, you have one portion of workers who work excessive (2000+) hours, and then you have another portion of part-timers & temp workers that are "under-worked and underpaid":

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/comm ... ry-workers
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Wolfeye » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:24 am

Japan seems to have always been a weird place like that. Look at the ninja: massive differences culturally from the "rest" of society (although, it gets depicted as much different than it actually was- I think it was Samurai War Stories by Anthony Cummins that mentioned that). The ninja were much less servile & actually were somewhat democratic (so maybe it didn't ALL come from Greece). This is in stark contrast to some of the rest of society in that time, which tended to do anything the shogun wanted- including kill themselves! There was a very outsourced style of decision-making in Japan. Apparently, it wasn't only the Ninja vs. the Samurai- there were a lot of other people that had a problem with how things went socially. Especially when it came down on them. The good guys doing all the shit you were worried about the bad guys doing is just as much as a problem!
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Postby polya » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:11 am

I thought the grass-eaters rejected this work culture?
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
polya
Junior Poster

Postby Wolfeye » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Maybe you're confusing hippie with what seems to be meant by "grass-eaters?" The hippies DID reject that type of culture, but I think "grass-eaters" means more that they are placid people.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Postby Teal Lantern » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:57 pm

polya wrote:I thought the grass-eaters rejected this work culture?

They are only rejecting working enough hours to support TWO people while living off the allowance their wife/owner grants them.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand